Mechanical keyboards

Discussion in 'Computer Peripherals & Consumables' started by Jhaemes, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Jhaemes

Jhaemes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I noticed Argos are selling the Qpad MK50 for £38.99, as well as an Ozone Strike for £44.99.

Would any of you recommend either of them, or perhaps another keyboard? The only thing I don't like about the above pair is that they don't have separate keys for media control (like my Logitech G110)

2. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,516
    Without knowing what you want from a keyboard or how you're going to use it, it's difficult to recommend anything.

Personally I consider Cherry's linear switches to be rather poor, average to type on but noisy. But if you're going to game more than you type then you may find their long lifetime attractive.

3. Jhaemes

Jhaemes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Gaming mostly, with a bit of typing.

Cherry MX Reds seemed the best switch from what I read, only been looking at cheap boards so far though.

Corsair Vengeance K60 refurb from Scan for just over £50 is probably about as much as I'd want to spend though.

4. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,516
    Most of it is personal preference. I got into high end keyswitches for typing and have tried half a dozen different keyboards (including a gaming model). Despite being a keen gamer I didn't see any difference between them in gaming, and would happily game on even the worst typing keys (as long as they didn't stick or anything of course).

Removal of the third key blocking (# Key Rollover, Anti-ghosting etc.) is occasionally noticeable and is about the only feature I'd want from a keyboard for gaming.

5. cokker

cokker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    The colour depends on the kind of fingers you have, Reds are a very light key and good for people who know their way around a keyboard as mistypes may happen if you have a habit of mashing keys (me lol).

Blacks are the same as reds but heavier to press, some people complain about getting tired fingers after typing/gaming for longer periods, I currently use these (in a CM QFR) as I'm a bit of a masher and have huge hands so tiredness isn't a problem.

Browns have a minor bump feedback just as they are about to fully depress, they are between the reds and blacks in trigger weight, tend to be the best for new mechanical keyboard users.

Blues are the most noisy due to the way work, not my cup of tea.

Here is a guide for more information:

An introduction to Cherry MX mechanical switches | The Keyboard Company

6. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,516
    They have a bump in the middle of their travel at exactly the point the key registers which is what makes it so attractive for typing. A standard keyboard only registers at the bottom of it's travel, after the feel changes, so you can hit the key, feel it collapse and lift your finger off without it having typed anything, which is frustrating.

Can you explain why you're willing to pay the extra for an MX switch over a normal keyboard? I don't understand what it offers if you mash the keys down.

7. cokker

cokker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    LOL I don't use the butt of my fist in a mashing kinda way but I'm still getting used to typing, I've been building and maintaining computers for around 10 years but never really learnt to type. Using a cherry MX black switch stops me to a certain extent from pressing 2 keys at once like I did on a membrane keyboard.

Two reasons I chose a mechanical keyboard is because I play a lot of FPS games using "wasd", using a linear switch lets me keep fingers semi depressed for quicker presses, as you mentioned above with browns they don't register if you have them in the wrong place.

The other reason was that around a years worth of use with membrane keyboards I felt the "wasd" keys get very loose, I've bought many brands of keyboards over the years and it seems to happen on cheap and more expensive ones.

I did a fair bit of research before taking the mechanical keyboard plunge as I wasn't really able to justify the cost, after getting it I wasn't sure if I liked it, took me a solid month to get used to the feeling but now I love it. It's been just over a year and this thing still feels tight as a nut.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014