Question Mechanical Keyboard - Prime Day - Which one?

darthmauler

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to get a mechanical gaming keyboard today from Amazon during their prime day sale. I want something reliable and with a reputable company standing over its guarantee. I've ruled out any white box chinese brands. Ideally I would like MX Browns. I would like to avoid clicky switches if possible. I want something that is well built and has solid software support.

I've narrowed things down as follows :

Razer Blackwidow Elite - £75
(I like this but the Razer green switches count against it)

Logitech G815 - £105
(Tactile switches are a plus, but hadn't really considered a logitech before and haven't felt it)

Corsair K95 - £129.99
(Brown switches and solid feature set. People seem to have an issue with the space bar and it is more expensive)

Any thoughts on which I should go with?

Doesn't seem to be great for mechanical switches in this sale. I picked up my Fnatic Streak with Cherry MX Browns back in January for a bargain £65 - if I remember, January was a good time to buy this kind of thing.

What is the difference between the different coloured keys?

The colour doesn't refer to the keys but the switches underneath them. There is a guide HERE that explains but the industry leading manufacturer is Cherry. They produce different types of switch but the three most common are Red (Linear) Brown (Tactile) and Blue (Clicky)

What is the difference between the different coloured keys?
Cherry-MX-Mechanical-Switch-Chart-Guide-1024x768.png

Cherry-MX-Switch-Guide-1-1024x679.png

Apparently my 6 year old Corsair K95 K90 had brown but I don't get a bumpy feel.

Last edited:
Just re read you first post and saw you was looking at a Corsair K95 90 Vengeance brushed aluminum finish I dont thing the make now and an old model with 18 G keys and also they can be selected programed 3 different ways meaning 54 programable G keys (over kill) its the longest lasting keyboard and really give some hammer but stood up to my massively long gaming sessions.
corsair-vengeance-k90.jpg

Last edited:
I missed out on the prime day deals. Thought I would have a day to make my mind up but they were all retty much sold out on the first day.

It is nice to see a keyboard lasting that long as this is my first time buying a mechanical keyboard. (Well, no, I did have a Cherry keyboard back in the 80s...)

I have a old k95, going on 6 years now i think.
Still works fine expect from the leds, back then not great leds so now only like half of them work but not something i'm fussed about at this point, otherwise still works great.
Despite what people might say about corsair kbs( i'll concede they are a little on the expensive side) they are built to last.
I was eyeing up a logitech g815 during prime day, it would have been the kb i'd have taken a chance on out of the three despite my love for the k95.
The logitech one is quite highly regarded.
Maybe if its on sale again at black friday or cybermonday i might jump at it then.

Still works fine expect from the leds, back then not great leds so now only like half of them work but not something i'm fussed about at this point, otherwise still works great.
Despite what people might say about corsair kbs( i'll concede they are a little on the expensive side) they are built to last.
I was eyeing up a logitech g815 during prime day, it would have been the kb i'd have taken a chance on out of the three despite my love for the k95.
Maybe if its on sale again at black friday or cybermonday i might jump at it then.

I actually ordered a g815 and it was shipped. I then stumbled along the Logitech G reddit and found loads of people with issues. Keycaps wearing through or breaking seemed a common problem and while they could be replaced under warranty it didn't inspire confidence for long term lifespan. I cancelled the order. By that time the other two had sold out so I was left with nothing.....

I got the Razer Blackwidow Elite for £75, only thing I got on Prime day apart from a bottle of Kraken rum (yum!). Bit of an impulse buy, but definitely worth that price, and about the max I would ever consider spending on a keyboard. It’s very good quality, rock solid heavy base, smooth keys with no wobble. Included wrist rest is squishy and comfortable. It has all the extra features I wanted, volume roller, media buttons, USB and audio pass through, so pretty much ticked all the boxes. I’m not really into RGB (my PC is 100% black with only one tiny power LED), but the programmable effects are pretty cool, and just having a backlight is obviously useful.

This is my first mechanical keyboard, and the green switches are very clicky so the noise will take some getting used to, but the feel is very good. Think I will try some O rings though, as the click of the switch doesnt bother me, but the ‘clack’ as the key bottoms out does a bit, and they are supposed to help with that.

My LED are OK om K90 and more or less on from getting up till going to bed i.e. 16 hours. The numbers are a tad dimmer than the letters but then the letters are at the top of the keys where the lights are and the numbers are under the symbols. I also have them on full brightness.

I'm looking to get a mechanical gaming keyboard today from Amazon during their prime day sale. I want something reliable and with a reputable company standing over its guarantee. I've ruled out any white box chinese brands. Ideally I would like MX Browns. I would like to avoid clicky switches if possible. I want something that is well built and has solid software support.

I've narrowed things down as follows :

Razer Blackwidow Elite - £75
(I like this but the Razer green switches count against it)

Logitech G815 - £105
(Tactile switches are a plus, but hadn't really considered a logitech before and haven't felt it)

Corsair K95 - £129.99
(Brown switches and solid feature set. People seem to have an issue with the space bar and it is more expensive)

Any thoughts on which I should go with?
were did you see the Corsair K95 at £129? I think I just messed mine up spill some stuff on the keyboard and the windows key on the right and the key aside it lightes went out and nothings working, dried it out and still the same. Looked at the Corsair K95 prices and there edging £200

^
Update was working extremely late and up early this morning and got the keyboard fixed, one of the hardest things were the screws which are so tiny and screwed in so hard had a real job getting them out anyway more or less did what someone did on the internet and its working right now.
Was working with an old membrane keyboard and boy that sucks compared to this Corsair.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom