Mechanical Isolation for equipment

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by TheSeer, Jan 19, 2008.

1. TheSeer

TheSeer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi All,

Do any of you have any experience using mechanical isolation products such as those offered by StillPoint or Vertex ? Products from these organisations have had some rave reviews in the Hi-Fi media and are supposed to be able to transform the sound from even high-end CD players, Amps etc.

I was thinking about trying these but as they are not cheap, I thought I'd ask if any of you have experience with using these kinds of products? Do they make a difference? Is it possible to achieve similar improvements with something less costly?

Thanks

2. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    I use stillpoints. I've heard a number of different types of approach, including also Mana (great with some kit, horrible with others).
    My personal belief is that Stillpoints can make a difference, though I wouldn't put them on a cheap system. In addition, they don't work with everything. I've found them very effective under CD players and amps, but less effective on power supplies.

3. Mark.Yudkin

Mark.Yudkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,536
    Back in Adelaide, I live in a house with wooden flooring. If you jumped up and down, the turntable would mistrack. We raised the rack slightly off the floor and bolted it to the wall to eliminate the problem. Over here we have a concrete floor with parquet, and don't have any such problem.

Shock absorber products are useful when you have an issue with floor-based shock. For large problems you need to go further. Exotic products are anyway pointless, all you're trying to do is absorb shock (like on your car) and for that you don't need to spend a small fortune.

4. trailer

trailer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    What stand are you using?