1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mechanical Focus?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by gok40, Nov 10, 2004.

1. gok40

gok40

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am having a few problems with the picture on my Tosh 42WH46.

The problems are: On the very right hand side of screen, when the picture is showing an all white image (or any white image) there is a yellow tobacco coloured stain about 6-7 inches high and 2-3 inches inwards. This varies as u raise ur head up and down (it goes up and down too!). It also aint consistent being worse some days than other. I have heard someone else on these forums have the exact same problem. I was wondering if it can be sorted by tinkering around.

Also I have a very soft blue circular discolouration on the bottom right of the screen up and in about 3 inches. Not very noticable in truth but in addition to the small diagonal dark yellow stain on the bottom left of the screen it all means some very slight annoyances in an otherwise superb picture across the remainder of the screen

I have used the service menu convergence setup to tinker as well as normal convergence too but to no avail.

I have heard experienced users mention the mechanical focus....I would like some advice on what this is, how to do it yourself and the potential dangers involved!

Many thanks for any assistance provided.

2. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Hello Gok40 and welcome to the Forum. :)

I know this is not what you want to hear, but unless you know exactly what you're doing, making adjustments inside a "live" TV is definately a :nono:

There are thousands of volts in there that could easily kill you.

I'm sure you don't want your first post to be your last. :mad:

So, please don't try it. :thumbsdow

3. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First off I doubt its focus.

On RPTV's white uniformity is a bit hit and miss at the best of times. It's one of the weaknesses of the format, so to see darkening towards the corners is no surprise. Also, as you move your head the light level will also change. This is because the lenticular and fresnal (the screen) filter the light for optimum viewing at dead level to the centre of the screen, so off axis, especially vertical, will give a different result. In the horizontal plane the white balance will change slightly as you move from left to right. on the left it will look slightly blue, whereas on the right it will look slightly red.

I'd be more inclined to say that the problem is dirt related, either on the lenses or (less likely) the coolant itself. Since it's either new or well within guarantee get someone down to look at it.