Measuring body fat

KyleS1

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I use them and they are probably the easiest calipers to use for home use as they have the slider that stays at your reading when you remove them from the pinch, they also have an audible click to let you know you are done. I've used other ones in the past and couldnt get consistent results

I'm a member of another private workout forum with 1000's of members and they are the most recommended calipers on there as well

They are never going to be 100% accurate but are very good for plotting the trends. The trick is to do lots of practising and make sure you can get consistent readings time after time. If you can find a mole or similar mark on you iliac crest to keep the same place that will help. You also need to try and keep the same pressure on your pinch

If you do get them, let me know. I have a spreadsheet where someone has extrapolated out the Accumeasure official results table so its a lot more accurate for the age range and pinch result. Makes for more accurate logging

Also have a results spreadsheet you can use to track

Without access to a pro to do a multi-site pinch test then in my opinion this is the best and cheapest way to track workout results at home

Last edited:
Sniffer,

Got mine on order is it ok if I PM you my e-mail address to send me the spreadsheets?

Thanks,
Dan.

Thanks for the detailed response!
I think I will get some, just wanted to check they are decent as they are loads of cheaper ones on ebay.

Those spreadsheets would be great! :)

Sniffer,

Got mine on order is it ok if I PM you my e-mail address to send me the spreadsheets?

Thanks,
Dan.

No probs guys, just pm me your mail addys and I'll send off. Also have a decent guide on how to use them :)

Got your pm's guys, will get those off to you when I get a spare minute at home. Wife started a new job today and kids went back to school as well so yesterday/last night was a bit manic :)

No worries chap looks like mine won't be coming till next week anyway so no rush.

Cheers,
Dan.

Mine arrived!

Going to use for first time after next run :blush:

Got mine too, going to wait until after Saturday when my PT will do my stats on his Bodystat machine be keen to see how the two compare.

Will start tracking weekly.

Steven - Did you ask Sniffer to send you the spreadsheets? Well worth having if not.

Dan Baker said:
Got mine too, going to wait until after Saturday when my PT will do my stats on his Bodystat machine be keen to see how the two compare.

Will start tracking weekly.

Steven - Did you ask Sniffer to send you the spreadsheets? Well worth having if not.

He didn't but happy to. Just pm me your email addy if you want them Steven

Thanks Sniff!

Am within M25 so probably some kind of postal service bias there?, sorry to say it

OK, so I used mine and it reckons I have 11.7% body fat. That doesn't make sense to me. I took the reading about 6 times, and all came up with the same figure. I think I have a duff pair! Haha! :)

OK, so I used mine and it reckons I have 11.7% body fat. That doesn't make sense to me. I took the reading about 6 times, and all came up with the same figure. I think I have a duff pair! Haha! :)

From the iliac crest, single measure ? Are you 100% sure you are in the right place ? Just above where your hip bone curves in

If so, what was the result in mm ?

Yep, I followed all the instructions, and started afresh each time. I'm by no means a fatty, but I am holding a little more insulation than I would like, but that figure just seems ridiculous low.

Well the chart said 11.7, I presumed that meant %.
Result in mm was 9, and I'm 31.

well, I'm pretty lean at 46 and I get 7.25 mm which gives me 13%.
Which confirms a quick visual approx check by the PT in my company gym

Did you use the guides and charts I sent you or the chart that came with it ? And how hard are you pinching ? An over strong pinch can change results a lot

I used the chart that came with it as it was just a quick practice as it had sat sealed in its box for a few days.
I pinched until it "clicked".

9 mm here for age 31 shows 11.7%. I would've guessed I was around 15% but I may be being a bit harsh on myself.
The fat around my belly is thicker than by my iliac crest.

I used the chart that came with it as it was just a quick practice as it had sat sealed in its box for a few days.
I pinched until it "clicked".

9 mm here for age 31 shows 11.7%. I would've guessed I was around 15% but I may be being a bit harsh on myself.
The fat around my belly is thicker than by my iliac crest.

try pinching REALLY slowly until it just about clicks, making sure you apply no further pressure from then on, and see what you get

Will try and remember when I get home. It's hard to know what is right and what is wrong when doing it, and even the smallest change can make quite a difference to the results.

At least your came out under what you think, mine came out way over! I also kept getting varying results despite being sure I was pinching the same area each time.

I need more practice I think!

At least your came out under what you think, mine came out way over! I also kept getting varying results despite being sure I was pinching the same area each time.

I need more practice I think!

See if you can find a mole or blemish so your fingers are in the same place every time. That helped me

And don't measure straight after training or eating !

I think I need to read sniffer's guides. I just read the instructions on the back and had a go.
Didn't get a chance to have a play again last night as was out at squash, but will try tonight.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom