1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Me vs Criterion and Acclaim.. Xbox PS..

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by museumsteve, May 7, 2002.

1. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,007
    Right, that's it. I'm fed up with these plonkers trying to fob me off with rubbish when I call, so I'll update this thread everytime I speak to someone on my quest to find out oif the UK (PAL) Xbox supports HDTV and if not, why does the UK Burnout state it on the box..

My first contact was a couple of weeks ago when I emailed Criterion (Guildford) to ask if the game supported HDTV as it stated on the PAL box. Yes as long as you have a hi-def kit.
    Fine, I had already tried it and it didn;t work.

At the same time I emailed Microsoft UK and they replied that using a hi-def kit would result in nothing higher than 480i (nice of them to reply though).

So again I contacted Criterion, this time I got told I needed to ring Accalim as they were the publisher, so they gave me a phone number..only to be confronted with a "Hi, you've reached the Acclaim cheats and tips line..do you pay the phone bill at home.." arrghh..

I got bored again today so decided to ring Criterion again..this time I get a rather helpful young lady but who seems to have trouble saying HDTV..(HT what..HTVD etc etc)..She promises to sort it after I explain what I have tried in the past. She calls me back fuive minutes mater and says, you have to ring Acclaim as they publish the game and we offer no technical support..arrgghhh...grrrr..
    So I ring another Acclaim number (which seems more promising), I ask the helpful cheery chap on the end of the phone "Can you tell me if Burnout on Xbox supports HDTV as it states on the box.?" - the reply was swift and short"If it says it on the box, yes definately"..err okay..
    I told him I had tried and that it was getting to be a concern that the box stated it and the game didn;t support it...

so now we wait...as he contacts someone else and will have them contact me in due course...

Stay tuned for part two..soon..:)

2. John Jennings

John Jennings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Sounds like you got stuck with the receptionist at Criterion. Try looking through the manual for the name of the Burnout producer at Criterion (not the one at Acclaim, all they do is stick the game in the box and put it on the shelf). Phone up and ask to speak to him, just pretend it's a personal call or something :)

3. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,007
    I may well try that tomorrow John..

4. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,007
    Update..
    Nicely surprised this afternoon (just now infact) when a nice chap called Glenn from Acclaim following up the above story..

He was calling from Accalim headoffice apparently and had official word back about the position with HDTV and Burnout (PAL). The game DOES support HDTV at 480p, but not 720p or 1080p (his words) after sniggering I said you mean 1080i..
    Anyway, I told him that Microsoft had emailed me saying the UK Xbox would not support 480p even if a US HiDef pack was used.
    "Oh, okay then, but I've been told it does support HDTV 480p if you have the right equipment".
    I told him I did have the equipment and that the game would play but you'd see no picture.
    "Oh, thanks for that, I'll go back to them and see what they say.."

So all in all, it was nice of them to actually follow up and it looks as though they will come up with some kind of answer for me (us).

5. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,007
    Wow..
    just had another call from Glenn at Acclaim and I had only just posted my last message. He rang to ask if I knew the machine needed to be set to PAL60 in order to get 480p..
    ..errrr..anyone..
    This sort of threw me a bit as someone must have asked him to say that. Am I missing something or do these guys need shooting..;)
    So I may try again, set a PAL machine to PAL60, then plug in hi-def kit and put the game on without setting anything else..

You never know until you try..:D

6. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    fingers crossed;)

7. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,007
    I'll have to try again tomorrow 'cos I forgot I only have hi-def kit at home. With this you don;t get the chance to change the PAL60 option as it automatically detects the hi-def kit. So if I use svideo, set the Xbox to PAL60 then attach a hi-def kit, you never know..;)

8. spikeyboyo

spikeyboyo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Or the other option would be to buy a Philips Pixel Plus set and get urber pic :clown:

Ok you can slap me now :)

Spike

9. ROne

ROne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Museumsteve, you are doing things we all should be doing - not taking things on face value and keeping pushing. If we all did this every now and again we might just get results.

My take on the XBOX thing is this:

XBOX supports Hi-def 480p, 720p etc, but not 625p.

Component out will support the above.

PAL60 is not a part of the component signal. (Component by default doesn't use the PAL colour information)

What we would be looking for would be 480p which has to be 60hz, the american progressive standard - which brings me full circle why would a british X-BOX, with a game published in britain support 480p. I don't think it would. We will get 625i out - alone.

However whether the X-BOX is hardware disabled, or the software than runs on its is the question.

10. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,007
    well I've tried every option now.
    Just tried having the Xbox set to PAL60, in this setting my projector shows a signal 525i (ntsc). When I put in hi-def kit it still shows the same. If I choose not PAL60 it only shows 625i.
    When you put in hi-def kit the Xbox option where it says "Does your TV accept PAL60" now says "Does your TV accept 480p".
    Alas when I say yes the projector doesn;t get any signal.:(
    So I really don't know where this stops..I would guess that the Xbox itself has had the progressive disabled (PAL units) but you have to wonder why it asks the question.
    In the case of a US machine the option asks if your TV supports 480p, 720p and 1080i. Surely this means that a PAL machine has had something done to it or it would ask the same question wouldn;t it.??
    I'm off to check out the position in Australia as I remember there were problems with MS and Australia TV sandards committee blaming each other over some kind of cock-up and the Aussie hi-def kits were having problems. Being a PAL nation like us, why would Australia have hi-def and Europe not..?? All these questions should be answered IMO..so I'm off to look.

11. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,007
    found this on an Aussie forum..may have a look at it..

Although Xbox PAL does not support 480P via the component cable, if you change the pins that are associated with the MODE for the xbox then you can get a 480P image out of it.

All you have to do is set the cable for VGA mode.
    This involves cutting the line from pin 11 tp 12 and then joining pins 9 and 10 via wire + solder.

From here the Xbox thinks you using a VGA cable but as stated previously it outputs component video in VGA mode, so it will output 480P.
    Because the Xbox is in 480P mode I can assume that it will not output any higher than 480P (being VGA resolution) so those games that support higher in the future will not display higher resolutions

12. ROne

ROne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    This is very interesting, so does changing these wires turn the cable into VGA (RGB) output supporting 640x480 (altering the colour space) or does changing the wires turn the enable 480p over component.

If its the first, VGA output then it should be able to support any resolution.

Museum can you let me have the source for this info.

Thanks.

13. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,007
    I'll find some resources mate..probably worth a search or two under Xbox VGA scvhematics etc. I'm gonna give one a go anyway.
    I found one site that did it but the picture was syncing on green or very green heavy..but the picture was supposed to be nice..:D

14. jason t

jason t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    any more news on pal progressive???

will i get progressive if i use the xbox to vga convertor connected to my projector ??? (from lik sang)

jason

15. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,007
    definately not of you use a lik-sang one mate. The lik-snag VGA boxes are convertors that basically up the frequency so the picture will display on a monitor. The quality is a washed out but stable S-cideo quality..
    Still haven't made one yet..but I will get round to it this week..:)

16. jason t

jason t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    hi guys i got my hi def pack today,set my xbox to play
    hdtv and tried fifa road to world cup and it played no
    problem but picture was the same s video :(
    then i tried dead or alive 3 and got a blue screen!
    can anybody please tell me why this happened ??
    is it because doa is hdtv enabled and fifa isnt..

please help

jason

btw museumsteve did you try out that modification??
    did it work??
    please show us some pics of the modifications

17. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,007
    what TV or set-up are you using..??

18. jason t

jason t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    i am using a sanyo plv30 lcd projector via component cables

jason

19. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,007
    well it almost gets worse. Acclaims Burnout site for the US game has now changed from saying the US game supports 720p to 480p (which is correct). The official Xbox site (xbox.com) says the game supports 1080i & 720p, is there no end to this absolute crap. I may sound like an old woman but I'm sure I;m not the only one that gets miffed in situations like this. I can;t understand why it's so difficult for these guys to get things right. If the game supports HDTV (the US version anyway) you'd think it wouldn;t be hard to have the right info..does my head in..

this is from xbox.com
    "HDTV and Progressive Scan support—for users with high-definition display or digital TV: Burnout is crisp and interlace-free when displayed on a High-Definition TV, running up to 1080i or 720p! "

20. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well, I wasn't going to say anything but.......:D

ps. Cable's in the post mate.

21. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,007
    Jason..is it a UK Xbox then..

22. jason t

jason t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    yes sure is .
    i wish i had bought an american one now especially now the price has gone down

jason

23. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,007
    sorry mate..
    no progressive scan on UK machine so you'll have to jsut use hi-def kit for component and make sure you say no to 480p in your dashboard..:(

24. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    museumsteve,

thanks to your advice a while ago, last night I fired up halo on the ae100, with prog scan, and 5.1 for the first time. blimey, that's all i can say.
    (Just now need to find a controller extension lead)

jason t, haven't tried it interlaced yet, so not sure if it's worth your trouble to change to a us one.

25. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,007
    I've tried interlaced with UK Xbox through my panny everytime I tried to sort out this Burnout PAL and HDTV issue..:D
    Anyway, the interlace piccie rather nice but can be prone to artifacting and some fairly noticeable roughness. I guess like anything though if you haven;t seen a progressive piccie on it anyway it wont make much difference as you don;t have anything to compare against..
    This could be down to screen size, smaller screen may produce better results. If you're serious about Xbox and plan to use it as much as I do and not just for an hour on a Sunday I would definately consider either a US machine or maybe even some kind of line doubler/iscan or similar. I'm looking fcr one for PAL DVDs from my 939-A..

26. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,007
    but wait...
    just thought. If the chip is successful then it may be feasible to use progressive on a PAL machine with UK games. The UK machine does have an option doesn;t it, it's just the games aren't programmed with PS. So it could be worth holding out for a bit. If I manage to get some chips this week I'll do our UK machine first and try it out and report back..:)

27. jason t

jason t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    museumsteve in the manual for doa 3 it clearly says that it is compatable with 480p!!!!
    what the hell is going on ?? i may of just wasted £20 on a hi def pack :confused:

jason

btw what chips are you getting and whats the price;)

28. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,007
    oh well..
    on the US Burnout issue I just got this email from Xbox.com..after pointing out their specs listed for Burnout which said 720p whereas it's only 480p..

Hello museumsteve,

Thank you for writing to Xbox.

This issue has been corrected on the website. We have gone into our site and changed the specs for http://www.xbox.com/burnout/default.htm

We hope that we were able to assist you, should you have further concerns feel free to write to us.

Glad they felt they were able to assist me..:D

29. jason t

jason t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    i got this email today ,how can they say that when doa 3 clearly says 480p

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Xbox.

Most of the games currently available for Xbox do not support progressive scan (the highest resolution currently supported by any games is 480i). The Xbox also does not support progressive scan for DVD movies.

When games which use progressive scan become available, the UK Xbox will support this mode, as this support is built in to the console.

Regards,
    Xbox Customer Care Team

30. EffTee

EffTee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Just goes to show that most of the readers of this forum know more about US and UK XBox hardware than the people they've got on their customer service teams :eek:

Not that we should really be surprised by that :)

EffTee