Mdr557h/f7 DVR Harddrive Backup possible?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jcoxpgh, Aug 14, 2018.

1. jcoxpgh

jcoxpgh
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Dad has a Magnavox DVR and it's doing a weird thing where it's stuttering on playback. I looked online and found out this is a common issue. the device is 3 years old and my Dad wants me to take the hard drive out and to copy the tv shows off the hard drive and back them up to his computer. I can't seem to find any information as to if this is even possible. Does anybody have any experience with this? Amu guidance would be appreciated. From what I read the DVR records in MPEG Layer 2. I just need to know if I can copy the data off. I can handle everything else once I get it on a computer to transcode.

Thanks in advance.

2. doug56hl

doug56hl
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,764
    As long as the drive has standard connectors (power plus SATA or IDE) there shouldn't be a problem physically. Open up the DVR and check.
    As to whether the data itself is transferable I don't know. Will depend if it isn't locked to the DVR whether copy would be usable.

3. davemurgatroyd2

davemurgatroyd2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,335
    Your main problems are
    1 what filing system that PVR uses )fat, linux or prorietary)
    2 whether the data is encrypted - many PVRs encrypt files as part of copy protection to prevent such transfers.

This is a European based forum and that PVR would not work this side of the pond - I would suggest trying some US based forums (such as similarly named AVS forum) for people with experience of that box.