1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MDR-EX71 review thing, with HD5.

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by IanPM, Sep 21, 2005.

1. IanPM

IanPM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Okay, I wanted to post my thoughts about these headphones, I got mine from Amazon, £25, plus the standard free shipping of course.

The first thing I noticed is that they come with a little felt case, which the HD5 will fit into pretty well. So if you need a case... ;)

The headphones are interesting to wear at first, when you put them in first its a bit like being underwater. You can't here much around you, and if you breathe, or cough then its very muted, like having a cold. Still, thats quite a good thing, as it should enable you to have your player set a bit lower, preserve hearing.

So I fired my HD5 up, and the first thing I had to do was turn the bass down to flat. If you don't like the bass reproduction on the HD5, I suggest you get a pair of EX71's. They really do seem to pack one hell of a punch. I now have my treble set +1, because without the bass is a little overpowering. Some people may like that sound, some may not. Personally I like to have a bit of bass punch, I listen to a lot of house/trance/electronic music, so the genre benifits from low end.

The next thing I noticed is that these headphones don't suffer at all from hiss. And that also made me realise that my old ones really did (I hadn't noticed). On quiet sections of MP3s, I can't hear anything other than silence. This is probably assisted by the fact that these headphoens block out background noise quite well.

I have also noticed that the sound level is lower on these phones then my last pair. I don't know the impedence of both pairs, but I expect the 71's bass reproduction have something to do with their impedence, so I imagine this is why they seem quieter.

Any downsides that I can see? Well, only that the cable for this phones is quite thin, and others have commented how they look like they might break quite easily if tugged. I can see this being true, but then I do look after my stuff, so hopefully these will last a long time. The cable length won't suit everyone. If you are using a player with a remote control, then I think you will think the phones cable on it's own is long enough. If you don't then you will need the extension lead, which is long enough to store your player away in a pocket or bag.

If you need a new pair of headphones, I think you could do a lot worse for the money.

2. lukey

lukey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    totally agree with your review. I have used ex71's for the last five years with varous types of players and found them more superior than anything else in the price range particularly if your after some decent bass response. the cable for me isnt a problem really and have not yet had them break or come loose, although i dont like the cable around the neck design so modify mine to ensure you have the 'Y' cable design like most other earphone styles

3. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And of course, as these are canal phone - not just in-ear buds - you ought to be aware that the underwater feeling Ian describes is because these babies go right into your ear canals. Some, myself included, find this a little too obtrusive and uncomfortable - so these phones may not be for everyone.

4. IanPM

IanPM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Indeed, my last headphones were in ear buds, so this was a slight shock. But I've been listening to music now for an hour and a half and they are lovely. The sensation of not hearing much else is a little odd, but the sound quality is a lot better as a result.

5. cwep2

cwep2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I find the other sorts of in ear headphones don't stay in my ears and are painful after a while. These were a breath of fresh air in terms of comfort for me. I guess it depends on the shape of your ears and is worth trying out what suits you, but the flexibility of the 3 sizes of rubber outer will help a lot if you have had problems finding a decent fit before.

CP

6. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Same here. Which is why I chose these ... a good compromise.

(Apologies for hijacking your thread, Ian!)

7. IanPM

IanPM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    No need to apologise, its good for people to get lots of views on headphones. I was glad to read people's reviews when I was buying.