1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MDF Screens

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Amelia, Jul 12, 2002.

1. Amelia

Amelia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am after a Fixed Frame Screen and I was told I could simply use a White painted MDF sheet. I was told I wouldn't notice any difference between it and a purchased screen.

Is this true ? and if so do you use a special shade of white to paint it or should I just buy one?

Thanks
    Amelia

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its arguable that someone wouldnt notice the difference, but a DIY screen can be of very good quality, and you will notice the £££ (or in your case $$$$) still in your pocket, because fixed frame screens are rather expensive.

You'll be wanting to look for a range of paints called Dulux Icestorm. Theres about 5 or 6 different colours (ranging from Icestorm 1 to Icestorm 5 or 6) and the higher the number the darker the grey. The reason you want grey is to help with producing blacker blacks, but the darker the grey the light will be reflected less and everything will seem too dark, so you have to have a trade off between blacker blacks and brightness.

Most people go for Icestorm 2 or 3. They should be available in Australia, but may have to be brought in on request.

Hope this helps.

3. Amelia

Amelia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So am I correct in say it is worth buying a screen as opposed to making one (in respect to image quality not $$$)?

4. Bonzer Belle

Bonzer Belle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Personal choice I'm afraid to say. A manufactured screen will be "better". However, the qualititive meaning of "better" is your interpretation. If you make a screen, and you are happy with the result, then best to put the 500 or 600 pounds saved (or maybe even more), to better use elsewhere. On the other hand, you may see a "bought screen", and believe that you can't live without it. there is no doubt that that the home made screen, if put together well, will give you more "bang for your buck" than the bought screen. The law of diminishing returns applies. The more you spend, the less 'improvement" each pound or dollar brings. Like everything else, it's a value judgement only you can make.

5. Amelia

Amelia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok let me rephrase the question.

If I purchased a screen as opposed to making on, how much would it be better in percentage terms would I expect the picture to be? I guess if I am going to get a 5% improvement in quality with I purchased screen then its obviously not worth it.

Thanks Again
    Amelia

6. Bonzer Belle

Bonzer Belle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Amelia, unfortunately, it's a subjective matter. You can have all sorts of "colour absorption" or "light reflection" data thrown your way to prove that a manufactured screen is better than a home made one. At the end of it all, you might still prefer the home made version! My opinion (and only my opinion) is this.....IF an extra six or seven hundred pounds is neither here nor there to you, buy one. IF you can think of ways that the money could make a bigger difference to your system, or for that matter, be better spent on something other than your home cinema, make one. I made one to the Icestorm 4 formula......sprayed, not brush painted. Am I happy with it? Yes I am. I'm fortunate in that when i watch a movie, i do actually watch a movie, and don't get too caught up in analyzing the image. If you are of that ilk, then make one, and have a holiday with the money saved!

7. Amelia

Amelia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Bonzer ;)

I think I will give it a go, I guess I could always buy one if I am not happy with the results.

Is the paint Icestorm a matt paint? (ie not glossy)

Regards
    Amelia

8. GearHead

GearHead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to correct a mistake made earlier in this thread, when selecting from the Icestorm range the higher the number the lighter the shade.

You'll probably want to choose between Icestorm 5 and Icestorm 6 or possibly something inbetween by mixing. FWIW, I've gone for Icestorm 5 with my LCD projector.

Allan

9. Bonzer Belle

Bonzer Belle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine is matt. I think it's available in matt or silk. I'd stick with matt. Another advantage...........if dometic circumstances end up with a four year old despatching a Walls King Cone onto your screen...........hey! ....just re-paint it! That is a "real world" practicality that may, or may not apply! A fixed screen at a suitably low height makes for a mightily attractive sketch pad for a young 'un..........believe me, I know!

10. Amelia

Amelia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now is that experience or what :D

Thanks Bonzer !!

I am first going out this morning to buy my new projector (AE100) and then off to my local Dulux dealer. (it Saturday morning here 8:40am and the shops open soon)

Best Regards
    Amelia

11. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,023
    do it..:) I have a Panny and have a six foot wide MDF screen painted with Icestorm 5. After spending a week with it I sold the reflective screen I paid £380 for second hand and have never looked back.;)

12. Amelia

Amelia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks museumsteve,

Well that's going to be $950AUD in my pocket :D

I do however have a question. I went to my local Dulux dealer and the person I spoke with didn't know what the Icestorm range was. He had a look and said the only thing he thinks it may be is a Flat white undercoat that can come in 6 ranges (depending on how much black is added).

Does this sound right?

Best Regards
    Amelia

13. Bonzer Belle

Bonzer Belle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As I recall, it's part of the Dulux Matchmaker series and it's made up for you in the store.

14. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    There was a thread a while ago where someone in Australia wanted the code for Icestorm - I think someone posted the actual Dulux colour code (as opposed to the name) - you can quote that at the paint store. Not sure if it was in this forum or in DIY. Try this thread - sure there was another a good while back, though.
    Also have a look here for more discussion on makins screens - a whizz round the forums here shoule give you every bit of info you need to build your screen - another handy guide here

HTH

15. Amelia

Amelia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Guys,

I will do a search and try out the links.

Best Regards
    Amelia

16. ChrisAllenFiz

ChrisAllenFiz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Ice storm 6 = 12632

Ice storm 5 = 12630

Ice Storm 4 = 12628

Ice Storm 3 = 12626

Ice Storm 2 = 12624

Ice Storm 1 = 12621

From the colour card in front of me. I think 5 is the most popular choice, but YMMV

Chris

17. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    I hate to keep clinging to my only claim to fame, but i was the first to try the Dulux "Ice storm" range!:D (but not the first to use a grey screen though etc)

I started by painting all six shades in blocks on my "wall screen".

Although how dark to go depends on the projector, and personal choice.

With my Toshiba MT1 i found a 50-50 mix with number 5 and 6 to be ideal.

But with my Sony VW10HT i found number 5 to be spot on.

The trick is to NOT look for the shade that gives nice blacks, but to find the shade that doesn't harm the whites!.

Once you find the shade that JUST starts to dull the whites, thats the darkest shade you can go.

Normally this shade will then give you much improved blacks, and more saturated colours, but whites still look pure.

Always try to paint the top three shades (4-5-6 etc) on some spare wood/MDF, as i would never recommend going any darker than 4 (with 5 being my fave), but like i said EXPERIMENT!!!

Paul...;)

18. Amelia

Amelia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks ChrisAllenFiz,

I am going to my local Dulux dealer this morning and I have cut and paste the info onto my PDA. I hope the numbers are the same :)

Hi Paul,

I checked out your site and wow what a room :eek:

Thanks again for the tip I will hopefully have more luck with Dulux this morning. So the trick is keeping Whites White :D

BEST Regards
    Amelia