1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MDF/Icestorm cheap route

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by stan_toopee, Feb 15, 2002.

1. stan_toopee

stan_toopee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just need to know what type of "Icestorm" paint to use??
    vinyl silk/matt or eggshell. i know it's a stupid question but i need this Panny to look good without too much more outlay. getting sick of spam sandwiches

2. alan8477

alan8477

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I used matt, grade 5. Very pleased with the results.

3. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep ICESTORM 5 is what I used (I think!), however do a search on the forum here for ICESTORM , there is a lot of talk about our experiences with it etc :)

Have Fun...screens dont have to be expensive.

4. Punce

Punce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I've just received my 8' x 4' MDF (12mm thick) from my local Timber yard £9.09 delivered - so heavy!

Anyway, I haven't had my AE-100 yet, so my question is - If I prepare my DIY screen to 16:9 measurements with some kind og black border, what happens to the image if I'm watching 4:3, is it the same height and black's out the sides? Or will it stretch beyond my 16:9 top and bottom borders?

I'm sure I could rephrase that a little better - dah well :D

5. stan_toopee

stan_toopee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i'm starting to lose sleep with having too many decisions to make.
    i ain't gotta clue how to go about installing this gear.
    'er indoors is turning the whole thing into a major house re-decorating exercise.

6. Punce

Punce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    As well as hoping to find the answer to my earlier question (2 posts up) I would like to ask another question:

I was thinking of fixing the MDF board to the wall, but then my speakers would be 1.5ft in front of the screen. Shouldn't the screen be flush with the speakers?

If so, I'd have to rethink of a way of bringing the screen forward, maybe on a couple of stands, or some long brackets. :confused:

7. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry been busy.

The way I have mine setup is the MDF is on the wall about 4 feet from the floor with 2 front speakers below it. Then I have black velvet from the top of the ceiling to the top of the MDF screen. Then I have black velvet from the bottom of the MDF screen to the floor where the speakers are (they are also black so it looks good :).

To be honest I didn't measure out an exact 16:9 screen, I knew the max height was ok at 48" (4 foot?) but I needed the width to be 88". If I watch a 16:9 movie (some are other formats) then of course you do get a bit of light spill but its not noticeable to me on a grey screen. Plus the fact that the velvet completey soaks up the rest of the light spill from the top/bottom of the wall it improves contrast alot imho.

Also I tend to watch some TV on the projector and sometimes its 4:3 format, for this I just unzoom the lens and watch it at 48" tall by say 64-70"? wide. As mine is a 4:3 projector then obviously I get no light spill at the sides.

I think your new projector is a 16:9 widescreen panel?, if that's the case I would build a 16:9 true screen and put velcro strips at the top and bottom (therefore make the screen 16:9 aspect with say 2 inches at the top/bottom for extra height for the velcro. Then buy some velvet and attach velcro so you can easily stick it on either side of the screen (apologies if that doesnt make sense....if not ill repost tomorrow but its late....and i need some sleep/bed! :))

Regards,
    James

p.s yes if you watched 4:3 material on a 16:9 projector it would most likely have light spill at the sides (which detracts from watching a movie/tv and the perceived contrast is lower). However try it with the ICESTORM paint as this helps alot in itself with lightspill and more importantly those blacks!.

p.p.s anyone know a shop which sells avia!?

8. Punce

Punce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I'm not sure if I fully understand what you mean about the velcro strips :confused:

I was going to paint the border matt black (or get some velvet if that's much better), around a 16:9 area, so that all 16:9 format films would be spot on. I now understand that when watching 4:3, I'll have black bars on the left and right hand side of the screen. Also, if I watch a format such as 2:35:1, then I would have black bars at the top and the bottom.

About the velcro thing, are you suggesting putting some velcro down the sides of the screen, so that when watching different widescreen formats, you adjust the top and bottom velvet strips to where the light spill begins?

If so, wouldn't the velvet strip sag a little in the middle?

I've just been to B&Q to buy a sample tin of ICESTORM 5 @ £1.95, I hope there'll be enough in it for the whole screen!

Thanks,

Mark

PS - Is it bad to have the speakers 1.5ft in front of the screen? I'm sure I read somewhere that they should be at the same distance?

9. stan_toopee

stan_toopee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    £1.95!!!
    mine was £2.08

10. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought the large tin!, I've painted my screen 3 times although only because when I painted it the second time I accidentally damaged the look of the paint (when it looked perfect grr!). I still have paint left too!.

Before painting the border black I would get some spare MDF and paint it with a sample and project a white image to it and see if you get any reflection/light back. With John Lewis velvet it literally soaks up all the light, again you could buy a small piece of material and compare it to your sample black MDF wood. John Lewis did two kinds of velvet when I bought it - go for the thinner velvet material and not the thick pile. Its very light and does a great job imho.

I have'nt done this myself but over at avsforum.com somebody was saying they had put velcro all around the edge of their 16:9 screen. This enabled them to adjust the screen dimensions very easily by literally having strips of velvet to stick on the screen. It may sound a pain which is why I just left mine with velvet at the top and bottom of the wall and if I watch very widescreen aspect ratio films about 12"? of the screen has light spill, but again with a grey screen its hardly noticeable unlike with a whitescreen where lightspill kills the LCD projector dead for home movies!.

The velvet I bought from John lewis is very thin, to give you an idea how light it is I currently have two tiny drawing pins holding up the velvet at the bottom of the screen!. The pins are at each side of the MDF screen, good job I have 12mm thickness too!.

James

11. Punce

Punce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    James

I've sent you a pm.

12. miro

miro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just screwed my 7x4 12mm MDF screen to the wall. It's heavy stuff, so I recommend 9mm for anyone about to make a screen.

Ice Storm 5 works very well. Blacks are better with only a slight reduction in white towards grey. Other than that, Ice Storm 5 is the way to go.

As for screen edges, I have used timber, roughly 44x15, knotted and painted with BLACK BOARD PAINT. Holes are predrilled for 2in No.6 screws with larger hole for sinking the screw head into the timber. The MDF is predrilled 10mm for the screws. The edging is glued and screwed on and gives an excellent sharp edge to the black border.

DONT USE BLACKBOARD PAINT! IT DRIES MATT DARK GREY WITH A SUBTLE SHEEN ON HIGHPOINTS AND TENDS TO RUB OFF. I am looking for an alternative matte black to repaint the border.

I hope this is of some use.

Miro.

13. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep 12mm is heavy, but hey once its fixed it isnt aproblem. However 9mm imho would gradually warp....

Just a thought.

James

14. Punce

Punce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I've decided to buy some Black Velvet for the borders, which I'll probably glue or staple on.

I've been thinking about the light spill problem, and I've come up with this:

Get some more velvet, two strips the width of the screen, and the height will be measured by the height of one of the hoizontal bars when viewing 2:35:1 films.

Staple one to the top and the other to the underside of the MDF (making sure the correct surface of the material covers the screen). Then slap some velcro in the right places, so you get the following.

Viewing in 16:9

[​IMG]

Viewing in 2:35:1

[​IMG]

(obviously the velcro strips won't be that colour!)

I'm still thinking about the 4:3 problem, any ideas would be welcome.

I hope this makes sense!

Cheers

PS - Anywhere in Birmingham that sells Black Velvet? I went to a fabric shop the other day, asking for the stuff, and they said they only had the thin stuff that was very stretchy like lycra, and quite see-through. Could someone clarify which is the exact stuff to use?

15. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought mine from John Lewis in the end, many fabric shops either did'nt sell it or could'nt source it! (great service eh!). Luckily someone on the forum informed me that John Lewis have an excellent selection of fabrics and they were spot on.

I went to the fabric store in Solihull, at the time they had two types of velvet in stock. One was pretty thick and heavy and the other was very thin and light (not seethrough) with a gold strip/line at the bottom. The thick stuff looked like it would reflect light so I opted for the thin/light velvet. I think I paid about £40-60? for about 8 foot by 7 foot? of the material but it soaks the light up very well imho. If you want to try the other types of velvet you could easily buy a small piece of each type and take it home and project a white picture on to each of the material :)

The fabric section is near the curtain area if I remember correctly, in fact if you go into John Lewis where Halifax bank is I think you go straight into the fabric department!.

James

16. Punce

Punce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Here's 3 pictures of my DIY screen (approx. 7ft x 4ft) painted with ICESTORM 5

Just need to have a projector now, and some black velvet!

The screen looks fine in my original picture, but when I upload it, it reduces the greyscale, and distorts it somehow

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How did you put it on the wall out of interest?, I need to fix mine to the wall one day as a permanent fixture!.

The room is coming together very well :), out of interest how big is it?. Our second bedroom isn't used at the moment so I was going to make that into the Home Theatre but in the end I kept it in the lounge due to the size of the spare bedroom. It measures 94" deep by 134" long with an extra 18" just near the door (\). I think the only reason why I wanted a dedicated room was perhaps in the future move to CRT fixed installation :confused: I can see why this hobby is expensive now!, still I have'nt spent that much (yet!).

_______
    |........__|
    |........\
    -------| < crap diagram alert!..i had to use dots due to spaces

James

p.s I did joke that I would knock the back bedroom wall down so the 3rd/4th bedroom would make a nice 22 feet by 10 feet room but I don't think thats a good idea! :eek:

18. Punce

Punce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Can't find my tape measure at the moment, but it's about 23 ft by 20 ft, but I've got a slanty roof on one side, which steals a lot of the room :(

I don't know what they're called (something like hammer bolts??) They're fantastic, I basically drilled the holes in the MDF and countersunk them ready, then as you can see in the first picture, I used 2 concrete slabs and a batton to the height that I wanted (used the trusty spirit-level). Then I lifted the MDF in place, then I simply drilled the wall through each ready made hole (MDF). then I used these hammer thingies (basically a long screw in a rawplug) you just hammer them in and voila... if you want to remove them you simply unscrew them ;)

Didn't take too long either!