1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MDF Help?!?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by hornydragon, Jun 7, 2003.

1. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    On monday a mate and I are going to try and butcher an unsuspecting sheet of MDF into a pair of cheap DVD racks come speaker stands!
    The idea we have is a sheet of http://www.diy.com/bq/product/product.jhtml?PRODID=75881&CATID=172641 18 or 12 mm cut into 4 strips each 150mm wide and the correct height. we were going to use 2 lengths of dowel rod glued into the Mdf sides for each DVD "shelf" so dvd's lean back at an approximate 15 deg angle (easier to read the titles than straight up) and a solid top a few mm below the top of the sides for the speakers to sit on. we will start with 2 and if it works build another 2 for the rears, Taller and maybe CD's depending on the capacity of the "originals" my limited experience of MDF is that it can break up around the cut edges and sort off flake off.
    How do we stop this???
    How do we make the look not like MDF (without your 800 tonne veneer press, Taz)???
    What glue to use???
    Stop the edeges, particulary those on the carpet end from flaking???
    Make the stable, currently looking at rougly square 150mmx150mm base speakers are small and not too heavy but we want them stable.
    I thought about some gale spikes from RS £5 a stand :thumbsdow :thumbsdow
    Out riggers ugly, Must be WAF!!!!!:D

speaker are sub 2KG each (guess)
    And are wxdxh 127.5x150x325 mm ish. But the weight is at the top!!!!!

Please help as i am really looking forward to some DIY on monday!!!!

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    PS what sort of Jig-saw blade should i use, I am hoping the nice guy at B&Q will do the long cuts for me!!!! But a new blade is probably a good idea anyway.

And i can't find dowel rods on the B&Q site, anyone know if they sell them??? or if Wickes etc do???

3. Exeter Man

Exeter Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I usually find that a bit of sanding is all that's needed to tidy those MDF edges.

As for making it not look like MDF, you could always paint it ! As an alternative to gloss/satin type stuff (or even emulsion if you want to blend with your walls), you could try sprayed Hammerite which I think looks pretty tasty. Just depends on the type of look you're after.

Some people quite like varnished MDF, but one problem with this is you can't use filler :blush:

Just finished maple veneer on my DIY sub, and very pleased with the results. Unfortunately, real wood veneer is a bit pricey, and time consuming to apply. A cheaper option is Fablon, as used by ReTrO/Taz, but I don't have any experience of using it myself.

I would suggest fixing a plinth at the bottom of the stand, rather than sitting the sides directly on the floor. Ideally, this should be fairly large to increase stability, and perhaps double thickness to increase weight and lower the centre of gravity.

I'm not too knowledgeable on the theory of speaker stand design, and i'm sure others on here will have their own opinions, but I would think you should aim to make the stands as rigid, stable and heavy as possible.

Hope this helps.

Regards

EDIT: Just seen your second post. Not really into using jigsaws myself, and I guess you haven't got a circular saw. Definitely get the long cuts done at B&Q, but check the cuts afterwards, as they've made mistakes with my stuff before.

Pretty sure that dowel is available at B&Q, usually in a rack with quadrants and other stuff like that. Our local Wickes also has a similar range.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Thanks mate
    Hmmmm a plinth could do as for weight a granite base would be nice but too pricey!!!! I guesss a small box at the base full of sand could work.
    Cheers Exeter Man

PS where do you get fablon is it self adhesive. We are going for cheap so plain MDF might be the best bet It would be nice to counter sink the dowel into the sides rather than drill through but i think drilling is going to be strudier and easier with the limited tools set we have!

5. Exeter Man

Exeter Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hornydragon,

Fablon available at B&Q, and yes, it is self adhesive.

Personally, i'd drill for the dowels just part of the way through from the inside so that the ends don't show on the outside. Mind you, this method does need careful marking-out of the holes to ensure that both sides match.

Regards

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    thats whats worrying me!!! I will look at Fablon as it will cover the dowel ends!!!
    Still cant find dowel on B&Q site guess i will have to hunt the stuff down instore!
    Does fablon come in a beech look???
    B&Q site is all multi-coloured stuff???

7. Exeter Man

Exeter Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hornydragon,

Last time I looked they had a reasonable range of wood effects.

As I said, i've never used the stuff myself, but I would imagine it's quite thin, and therefore you'll need to do a really good job of filling and sanding the ends of the dowels to stop them from showing through.

What i'm really not sure about is how to achieve a nice neat joint in the Fablon at corners. From what i've read around these parts, Taz is probably the man to advise you on that.

Regards

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Cheers I wonder if you wrap it around, not too fussed about the in side, point taken about sanding and filling though!!!!! Hope fully Taz will be around Tomorrow to help me out!!

9. Taz

Taz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All depends on what finish you want, if its wood look like the RTP subwoofers, Fablon is easy to use, will cost you £9.50 ish for a large roll and comes in any finish you like! I'm not a fan of painting MDF unless your gonna do it properly and that takes a lot of work.

One idea is if you were going to make the stands look like beech for example, get yourself your MDF and pick up some strips of beech 1mm bigger square. so if your using 18mm MDF get 19 x 19 strips from timber yard / where ever these can be glued to the fronts of each panel then sanded down to the thickness of the panel, apply some Beech fablon to the sides and you now have what appears to most as a solid lump of beech including end grain! and looks far better than mdf faces

Good MDF will not flake, by this I mean the skin will not come away. but what your gonna need is to make the ends look like the sides is MDF sealer this is painted on, sanded off,painted on,sanded off to give the ends a shiny look and no woolyness about them, it will also allow for painting / stain without any soak in of the paint etc. PM me your addy and i'll send you a jam jar full ;)

Use a decent white wood glue not a cheap one, but no need for top of the range.

bases sound a good idea for your project, is you wanna send me some sketches, i'll draw out the CAD drawings for the exact sizes and fittings your going to need

Anymore Q's just ask mate.

10. Taz

Taz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Cheers taz i will sketch and scan away mate I'll PM my addy to you as well cheers!!!