Mdf cabinet covering

paultr

Standard Member
Reaction score
I am building quite a small sub out of MDF and I want to finish it in a black colour. I would be very grateful for any ideas of what coverings I can use. If I just paint it I will see the butted joints so I need some sort of fabric I guess. I would ideally like a shiny finish so I wondered if I could use some of the stuff that people wrap parts of their cars with.

You could wrap the box but you would still need to do the prep so the joints can't be seen.
If you want a gloss finish why not pop in to a car body shop and see what they would charge, if you wanted to have a go yourself it's not to hard, just spend time sanding and filling and sealing prior to spray.

Thanks for the reply :)

Do you know any links on the web where I can read about what kind of prep I would need to do ?

If you look through the diy subwoofer thread and look for people builds, you should find some tips.
I'll also have a look

I aksed these guys for a quote, but didnt get anything back - maybe you get better luck:

Spray Painters - We Spray Anything, Best in the UK

I think* they might also do the prep for you - good luck !

Other than that like JK said - these automatoive vinyl wraps.

I am building quite a small sub out of MDF and I want to finish it in a black colour. I would be very grateful for any ideas of what coverings I can use. If I just paint it I will see the butted joints so I need some sort of fabric I guess. I would ideally like a shiny finish so I wondered if I could use some of the stuff that people wrap parts of their cars with.

I built a sub and took a lot of time sanding and filling the butted joints, it was wrapped in carbon fibre vinyl wrap and you could still see all the joins.

I`ve now built some DIY speakers and painted them with Tuff Cab Pro speaker cabinet paint. It goes on with a textured foam roller and hides most imperfections but looks like a bought speaker once it`s set.

Dave

If you put a 6mm mdf skim around it that should provide a surface that could then successfully be painted with TuffCab for quite a professional finish. This was my recent build...

avf-h2.jpg

avf-n.jpg

The other option is get Gordy to build you the boxed ready prepared. It would turn up as above ready to paint or wrap.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom