1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MD5 Line out cable

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Bazz, Sep 26, 2005.

1. Bazz

Bazz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What /where is special about the lineout cable.Are they Sony Walkman specific or will they be stocked by PCWorld etc (uk)
    TIA
    Bazz

2. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are two types of line out cable that I'm aware of. One sort has a 3.5mm jack at one end, and red and white phono leads at the other. I use one of these with my Technics hifi to link my HD5 into the AUX sockets at the rear.

The other sort I know about has two 3.5mm jacks, one at either end. Some smaller Sony micro systems seem to use these.

I'm sure other types exist. I got a JVC one (for the hifi) at Curry's for £10; and the 3.5mm to 3.5mm one I got for £14 from a Sony Centre - forget which make it is.

Hope this helps a bit.

3. Gonkenobi

Gonkenobi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am currently using the jack to two phono leads and no problem at all. I made a great investment on it : 5 €

Regards

4. Aargh

Aargh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A good thing to note is that if you have bought a Sony digital camera, they probably supplied you with a cable that is 3.5mm to twin RCA. This cable is meant for showing your images / video on your TV, however the contacts on the 3.5mm jack are exactly the same as for a stereo sound source and wil work well to hook your player up to an amp / speakers.

5. BIGRED

BIGRED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    sorry to stray slightly off topic ........... you know when listening to hd5 through stereo with the audio out setting as i do of an evening then half asleep the next morning on my way to work i lose my hearing cause i forgot to switch it back to headphone output ......... well this is new to me (prob not to others ) but i started using my new mc40elk remote this morning for the first time and with it plugged in it automatically defaults to headphone audio out , no more lose of hearing for me then .......... i told you it was of topic and i've now realised probably of no intrest to anyone but seeing as how i have just typed all of this out i can't be bothered deleting it :boring:

6. IanPM

IanPM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    It is a good point you made, and I found it interesting and worthwhile. So thank you.

7. Bazz

Bazz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for your replies and help.
    I am , however , still not sure because the lineout socket on my Hdd NW-HD5 is rectangular and approx 8mmx2mm.
    Any more info for an old fart fast becoming out of his depth?
    cheers
    bazz :confused:

8. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Panic not, dear Bazz, for what you refer to has nowt to do with the line out - it's the jack for the optional remote :D The line out shares the standard 3.5mm headphone jack, so it's all good :thumbsup:

9. Bazz

Bazz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK mate cheers and thanks for taking the time
    bazz