1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

md to mp3

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Churnobyl, Sep 22, 2005.

1. Churnobyl

Churnobyl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    can anyone advise me of software to enable minidisc to mp3 conversion. i have the equipment and the correct cables, have tried musicmatch but this is not compstible as my computer runs win2000. i am considering buying a dab/mp3 player for my car and have a few hundred minidiscs to convert. if no suitable solution can be found,i will not bother. http://www.avforums.com/forums/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=164#
    please

2. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    You need a lot of patience. First of all, I presume you have pre-HiMD discs you want to convert. It's not possible to upload these directly to a PC, so you have to record the MD's output in real time via analog or digital. If you want to copy digitally, you will of course need an MD deck with digital output.

Musicmatch will have nothing to do with it, and you'll need a piece of audio recording software such as Audacity. Connect the Line Out socket of the MD into the Line In socket of the soundcard. You'll probably need to play around with volume to get a distortion-free recording, and you may have to re-record several times to get a clean signal. Next, you'll probably want to chop up the output of the disc you recorded into tracks. You can do this manually in Audacity, but there are a range of programs which can do this for you. After you've done that, you'll probably have a bunch of WAV files floating around. Now, you'll need to use something like EAC's LAME frontend to convert the resulting WAV files to MP3.

Unless you have less than 10 discs to convert, you'll probably find all this too much hassle.

I converted a lot of my Minidiscs to MP3 using a more equipment-intensive but more hands-off method: I used a Creative JB3 recorder, and a Sony MD deck with optical out. Connected both via digital cable and set the JB3 to record directly to 320K MP3. No recording level to set, one-hit conversion, fairly minimal hassle and once recorded, blistering transfer speeds of recordings to PC thanks to firewire.