1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MD Recorder v cd recorder

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by newbie265, Nov 22, 2004.

1. newbie265

newbie265

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I'm looking for a recorder to record dvd concerts to cd or md and concerts of sky.I like the idea of Md as you can fit a whole concert on 1 disc sing the lp functions.Would it be possible to record my vinyl running it through my arcam avr300? Do the portable md play the 2x and 4x LP too?

2. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I'd be tempted to look at using a PC and burning them to CD-Rs as MP3 assuming your system will play them without problems. Otherwise I think MDLP 2x is ok on Minidisk and you should be able to get a Sony MZR900 or MZR909 on ebay for about £40-50 which were both top of the range recorders 2-3 years ago. If your buying new then consider a HiMD recorder but check it has an analogue recording input (I think Amazon had some good deals on these). Read all about MDs at www.minidisc.org If you want a full size hi-fi MD then I would go for a sony 770/780 or a 940/980. I like the MD format and am cuurently waiting to spot a bargain hi-fi MD deck so I'll post back if I manage to spot one.

3. newbie265

newbie265

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I was looking for a full size recorder so I can record straight of sky and my amp with dvds so the sony 980 looks pretty good,could I connect a turntable to my Arcam receiver to record onto minidisc?.Then I'll look to get a portable one to play them on ,I take it all the portables play MDLP x2 and x4?.

4. KevinP

KevinP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can connect an MD deck to a tape loop on your receiver (ie. with both ins and outs connected) and record from a turntable connected to phono in or other line in as appropriate. Just like you would record with a cassette deck in fact.

All modern portable MD units play MDLP2/4 - that is made after about the year 2001. The Sony MZ-R900 was the first MDLP player/recorder. If in doubt, check that the MDLP logo is printed on the unit...

5. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    MD is simple the best medium I have found for recording from DVD-V music discs (I record loads). With the editing functions, fades, divide, and deletion of single tracks) CD-R either on a deck or via PC is not close, one thing to check out maybe is the Yamaha HDR-1300 which allows the editing functions of MD (ie copying to HDD) then you burn to a CD-R once your happy, Still a finite recording though compared to a MD version.

6. tom_nieto

tom_nieto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I hope sony make a hi-MD deck. That's the only thing that's stopping me buying a normal Net-MD deck right now.

7. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    That's what I'm hoping will bring down the prices of the non hi-MD decks. I'm just not sure that Sony will stick with MD for more than another year or two. I think it will all hinge on how their HD machines fair against the likes of Ipod - can't see them running with both in the medium term.

8. newbie265

newbie265

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Sevenoaks told me saturday that Sony are going to stop making MDs.

9. newbie265

newbie265

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I like the look of the sony 980 but am now thinking of the hi-md decks.Has anyone got good experience of these and would I be able to transfer old sp minidisca onto one single minidisc on the 980?

10. mattrixdesign

mattrixdesign

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I like MD alot, its a very flexible, sturdy and portable format. Problem it is just not as common and popular as I would like, it should be standard over portable CD players and car audio - but it never worked out that way!

The Sony NetMD Recorders are good, and excellent value at the moment as solid state MP3 players/recorders are becoming more popular. The long play functions are OK but I would use LP4.

The only thing I would advise is you look for is a Minidisc Recorder with "DIGITAL OUT", then at least you can out put to CDR or PC digitally if needed.

Matt

11. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Do you mean WOULDN'T use LP4 I've always found it to be too much of a compromise. LP2 is great though.

12. newbie265

newbie265

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    On the 980 can you upload analogue recordings to the pc.E.g. recording vinyl onto minidisc then uploading to convert them to mp3s ?i know you can do it direct to the pc but would be easier for me this way as i could plug my turntable into my arcam which will be downstairs and pc is upstairs.

13. tom_nieto

tom_nieto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    IIRC you can't record digitally from MD to MD. I'm not sure if you can use the digital output and plug it into say a PC or a CD-R deck.

14. Ovation

Ovation

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You are right about the first part, no digital recording from MD to MD (nor can you record a CD-R to MD digitally), but I don't know about the reverse.

15. mattrixdesign

mattrixdesign

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :oops: yes I meant WOULDN'T, thanks for pointing that out :blush:

16. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Ovation there are a couple of points to confirm here :

1) SCMS the serial copy management system of MD does not allow digital to digital copies of digital recordings, ie you cant copy a MD – MD when the MD original is from a digital CD copy. You can however copy a MD – MD digitally if the orginal recording is anlg based, Ive done this on numerous occasions. If you need to copy a MD – MD then using the anlg recording facility makes no difference in the recording quality IME.

2) I can record from CD-R to MD digitally no problem, there is no difference between a CD-R and an original CD IME.

FWIW the SCMS can be disabled in many decks to allows MD – MD digital recordings never tried it myself but you can read about it here :

www.minidsc.org

17. Ovation

Ovation

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You're right about the analogue MD to MD via digital connection. I didn't consider that. As to the CD-R issue, it is perhaps player dependent. I was attempting a mixed MD from various CDs (including a CD-R) via digital connection and the machine refused to copy the CD-R tracks via digital input (gave me a code that warned me not to try to copy a digital copy of a copy). I used the analogue input on the home deck and it was fine (merely had to level match the signal) for the portable player/headphones (I use MDs mostly for travel, so the highest fidelity is not required (though it's still pretty good and the flexibility of the format is great).