1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MD or MP2

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by asimm, Jan 15, 2005.

1. asimm

asimm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    I read here that somebody had returned their IPOD and gone back to a MD. I got a bit worried so tried an IPOD from somebody at work - an MP3 sounded poor however a CD ripped track sounded ok - clearer than an MD but the bass was not as good as my MD. He could have had poor EQ settings, I couldn't experiment as it wasn't mine.
    Has anybody any experience of going from MD to MP3. I was really after an IPOD but after hearing it against my MD I'm not too sure.

2. matt bellamy

matt bellamy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I used to use a sharp mini disc and was always pretty pleased with the sound quality. The only problem with MD is that I had to play the entire CD to copy it to a mini disc through the line in which took one hour per album. The MD player broke a few months ago and so I bought an iRiver H320 mp3/ogg/wma and XVix video player. The sound quality is much better ( and louder ) than my mini disc and also better than the iPod. I recommend ripping as many songs as possible from Cd's at as high quality as possible (I use 500kbps OGG and 320kbps mp3 ). It also takes a lot less time to convert and copy songs to an mp3 player than a MD player.

3. asimm

asimm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Thanks matt - have just realised I put MP2 not MP3!

4. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Sound quality of the iPod is better than the H3xx... but almost any hard disk MP3 player except for the iPod is capable of being bass-boosted to the same or beyond the 'bass' levels in MD.

5. Pecker

Pecker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Huddersfield, People's Republic of Yorkshire
    Ratings:
    +4,355
    Depends what you're using it for.

If you're a bit of an audiophile, who insists on the best sound at all times (and why not), and is using the MD/i-pod to play through the hi-fi...don't. The quality of MD, mp3, etc, simply aren't as good.

But if you're just wanting to use the unit as a portable on a noisy bus (etc), the difference is negligable.

Whichever unit you buy, get some decent cans. I use Sennheiser PX100's (c.£30). You can get lots of mp3 units for a lot less than an i-pod - certainly £30 less.

Save the money on the unit & buy a pair of the Sennheisers, and you'll notice a remarkable boost in sound quality.

I have a small MD portable, which I love (love the format, too), and I resisted getting an mp3 player for a long time. But in the end, I got fed up of wanting to listen to an album, and not being able to find the MD, or having to wait to copy it to MD.

Now, my music is always with me. If I buy a new CD (for example) on the way to work, or the way home, it's very quick to stick the CD on to my Zen. What's more, if I wake up on a Monday morning, eager to listen to a new album, I used to have to wait until I could get to the shops - usually after work. Now, I can download the album (for maybe £7) when I get up on Monday morning, switch it from my PC to my Zen, and I can be listening to it on the way to work.

Sound quality isn't quite as good as a CD portable - but it's so close it's barely worth mentioning.

Steve W