mCube - demos or personal experiences: comments wanted

Scapegoat

Interested in the mCube speakers, but cannot find anywhere to get a demo.

No shops listed on Mission website in Yorkshire have them and Creative Audio won't set them up for a demo (booked in on Sat for 3 amps and some Kefs 2005 and 3005s) because they say - worryingly - that they are too difficult to set up and they don't fill their demo room.

Price-wise they seem to site betwwen the 2005 and 3005 on the creative audio website.

They will be used with amps in the 2807/2307/Onkyo 674 range.

This will be my first home cinema system and it will get fed Sky HD and Xbox 360 for most of the time (very rare we use DVDs).

Has anyone demo'd these themselves, compared them the the speakers above, or have any comments about them if they own (a search on this forum indicated that positioning of hte sub might be an issue due to the lack of base from the cubes).

The size and styling of them particulary appeals to the GF - otherwise I'd have given up on them.

On here they seem to get mentioned a bit, but not many times with comments (from the search function).

bairdyboy1980

Interested in the mCube speakers, but cannot find anywhere to get a demo.

No shops listed on Mission website in Yorkshire have them and Creative Audio won't set them up for a demo (booked in on Sat for 3 amps and some Kefs 2005 and 3005s) because they say - worryingly - that they are too difficult to set up and they don't fill their demo room.

Price-wise they seem to site betwwen the 2005 and 3005 on the creative audio website.

They will be used with amps in the 2807/2307/Onkyo 674 range.

This will be my first home cinema system and it will get fed Sky HD and Xbox 360 for most of the time (very rare we use DVDs).

Has anyone demo'd these themselves, compared them the the speakers above, or have any comments about them if they own (a search on this forum indicated that positioning of hte sub might be an issue due to the lack of base from the cubes).

The size and styling of them particulary appeals to the GF - otherwise I'd have given up on them.

On here they seem to get mentioned a bit, but not many times with comments (from the search function).
There is a reason that no-one demos them. The guy in my local hifi store didnt rate them at all. I have heard on the grapevine that kef 3005's blow them out of the water. The 3005's sound is truely amazin! Show the GF the styling of the 3005's! Sexy or what!

Crustyloafer

Distinguished Member
The dealers that you have spoken to are right, the M-Cubes are very poor quality speakers indeed. I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.

Scapegoat

Show the GF the styling of the 3005's! Sexy or what!
But as ladies always tell us - size is important!

If I put them in the corners of the wall and ceiling (not ideal locations) rather than on stands / or at ear hieght I can have the KEFs (2005 preferably but would accept the 3005s at a push).

The Centre speaker will go just above the TV though.

Has anyone got them set up like this? might have to create a new post to keep it relevant.

Helicon

Banned
There are positives and negatives to NXT technology. Plus, NXT is still in it's infancy really, and there's much improvement needed to bring it up to the quality of normal cone equivalents.

But if you're so stuck for space that this is the size of speaker you need, your options are the M-Cubes, Bose Acoustimass and MA Radius 45's.

Merc

Novice Member
I'm going to go against the concensus and say I was impressed by the mcubes. The 'large' sound for their size was surprising. A nice warm clear sound imo good for movies.

The downsides:

1. As with any small speaker there is a cut off point at which they can perform, so if you have a large room and want loud loud sound such small speakers are unsuitable.

2. The sub. And this is the main issue with these speakers and why dealers don't like them. This isn't your typical sub this is like a 6th speaker (and more, everything plugs into this) producing some mid range so you need to position this at the front with your centre facing your seating position not hidden away behind a sofa.

The mcubes are not suitable for me but i know lots of people whom they would suit very well.

bairdyboy1980

But as ladies always tell us - size is important!

If I put them in the corners of the wall and ceiling (not ideal locations) rather than on stands / or at ear hieght I can have the KEFs (2005 preferably but would accept the 3005s at a push).

The Centre speaker will go just above the TV though.

Has anyone got them set up like this? might have to create a new post to keep it relevant.
I will have pics of my set-up on monday as i am cabling in over the weekend. I got the stands for the front and going to wall mount the back speakers. You are like me, I am going to mount the centre speaker over the TV. Should be fine there. I can post pics if you want.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom