1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

McLibel tonight on BBC4

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by smelly, Apr 14, 2005.

1. smelly

smelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    This looks like it may be a good programme. I've heard a bit about it already so might tune it later tonight.

McLibel Storyline

2. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    Hmm. I'll put money on the fact that the programme will be much too sympathetic towards the two defendants. I did actually meet the two of them a few years back (well, I say "meet" - I attended a small seminar that they gave).

What struck me is that they were (or at any rate he was - she didn't say much on that occasion) very much believers in revolutionary anarchism. Their motives in conducting the case were not merely about environmental issues or even globalisation, it was also an attempt to attack the British system of Law and Government itself - specifically the mechanics of the Libel Laws.

He clearly believed very strongly that a full-blown armed revolution was the correct way forward for Britain, and spoke with enormous nostalgia about the poll tax riots, lamenteding the fact that there was no longer this level of connected, organised, violent protest in British society.

3. Parmenion

Parmenion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Ah yes I think I "met" him also. At the time, he was trying to insert a section of scaffold pole up my left nostril.
    The poll tax riots............happy days.

regards

Parmenion