McIntosh MA7200 Integrated Amplifer Review & Comments

sue_hall

Brilliant review Ed.

Always wanted a Big Mac. I love the sound, the looks. I’ll get one one day and it will be my forever amp.

Rob.

Slinkywizard

One word for ya: Fugly. ;)

larkone

Distinguished Member
Even if was worth the money and I decided to afford it SWMBO would never let that through the door.

acgingersnaps

I'm sure they sound great, but as noted above, my lord they're ugly. I'm sure similar performance for the money, could be found from a machine that doesn't look like it was designed by a batman loving 5 year old from the 60's.

greentg

McIntosh amps, have and will, always divide opinion with regards to their looks and if you were to hold a poll, I'm sure it would be split 50/50 in to those that loath the way they look and those that love it. I very definitely fall into the latter camp and what ever you may say about them, they will always create a stir, so love em or loath them, they are not your bland box that most HiFi is. Looks aside, if you can afford one, they do have a wonderful sound and there is something very compelling about those VU meters!

Ed Selley

AVF Reviewer
9!

when are we going to get some 4s and 5s 😂

This discussion has been done to death. I have five* review slots a month for AVForums. That's sixty products a year. As you might imagine, I have more than sixty offers of product to fill those spaces. With space being limited, if I don't think the product is likely to be any good, I simply don't request it. Ever since I started creating content for this site, I've worked to the principle that the space is best used to bring excellent product to the attention of the readership rather than randomly issuing kickings to stuff 'for the lolz.' I'd also point out that our very own @Tom Davies, is infinitely better at written shoeings than I will ever be so I'd seek out his Netflix reviews if you want some of that.

*This year, there will be short form content too for the first time which will boost the final number to 70-75. Even so, it's still very limited in comparison to the amount of product being released.

jmbrailsford

Fair enough, I just wondered why lots of kit gets a 9 is all.

Now I know, you only ask for the (expected) good stuff, can't blame you 😊

bogart99

Recently 90% of the reviews seem to be about this TV programme of that DVD which by their very nature have to be subjective. This to my point renders them useless. At least with something like this, not that I will ever be able to afford one, makes a good read if only for the fact it is mainly objective evidence.

Ron Hilditch

I'm sure they sound great, but as noted above, my lord they're ugly. I'm sure similar performance for the money, could be found from a machine that doesn't look like it was designed by a batman loving 5 year old from the 60's.
Came close to buying one and bought a Denon PMA-2500 instead. Found one for sale at a good price and a German magazine review put me off. The Reviewer said the build quality was s***. He asked why they still fitted knobs from a cheap '60s transistor radio?

steve sph

'Ooh - I see it's got a nine...
Ooh - it's not very pretty...'
Am I alone in not giving a flying one about whether someone who's never set eyes on the product under review has a whinge at someone who's given it a thorough testing?
Ed's review is comprehensive, well-written, and reading it you see exactly why he's arrived at his score.
If you want to compare and contrast then just check out What Hi-Fi and their pitiful excuses for reviews.
I also couldn't give yet another flying one about what something looks like if it sounds great.
For me hi-fi has never been a beauty contest - if I road tested five amps I'd buy the one that sounded the best - not the one that's nice and shiny and state-of-the-art and wife-friendly but sounds like sh*t.

alainrj

Standard Member
My dream amp is the Rotel Michi P5 preamp S5 power amp combo. Modern looks with fabulous build and sound quality for a similar price. I'm one of those left unmoved by the Mac's looks.

Ron Hilditch

My dream amp is the Rotel Michi P5 preamp S5 power amp combo. Modern looks with fabulous build and sound quality for a similar price. I'm one of those left unmoved by the Mac's looks.
Got to say they are tempting me, every time I think about changing my Amp.

gibbsy

Great review. I'd love to own the mighty Mac. Never going to happen. The one thing I don't like about them is their Gothic type face for McIntosh. Reminds me of my first few months as an apprentice printer composing Gothic ''Er Cof Am'' and the top of the f would always break off.

TB Rich

Great review. I'd love to own the mighty Mac. Never going to happen. The one thing I don't like about them is their Gothic type face for McIntosh. Reminds me of my first few months as an apprentice printer composing Gothic ''Er Cof Am'' and the top of the f would always break off.

Yep, for me it's a toss up between the naff looking type face and the bright blue lighting used in the VU meters, as to which is the worst looking part of them!

I'm sure the amp sounds great and ultimately that's the most important aspect, but looks for many people are also going to be a consideration, and these are marmite if nothing else!
(Yamaha and Technics pull off VU meters the best imo).

bogart99

I like equipment to sound good but not totally at the expense of looking acceptable, or at least not ugly. If I am looking at something as I listen I at least want it to have some visual appeal. I would not say this beast is ugly, just different.

steve iow

I know I will never be able to afford the high end stuff,but it’s nice to have the opportunity to read a well written review, please more reviews of this quality

Ed Selley

AVF Reviewer
(Yamaha and Technics pull off VU meters the best imo).

The ones on the McIntosh amps are- as noted- startlingly accurate. However, I've since found a company that does them even better... and we'll be looking at one of their offerings later in 2021.

Phil1975

Distinguished Member
Great review Ed as always, McIntosh amps for me are end game products that I can only ever dream of owning.😍

RichardG

"Damn straight the heatsinks are monogrammed"
Pathos: "Hold my beer..." 😎

I've only heard McI once, at the Silverstone hifi show attached to some big Focal floor standers. 5 minutes was enough for me know I'm not their target market :D

...and your "super accurate VU meters"? Accuphase?

I could DEFINITELY live with Accuphase 😍

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Netflix adds support for reduced theatrical release window
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Paradigm launches Founder speaker series
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 3rd March 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Music revenue in U.S. sees vinyl sales overtake CD