Question MCH SACD player wanted

I think there are a few around. I currently have a Yamaha BD-A1040 multi-format player. It's recently been discontinued so there may be some available at discounted prices. The BD-A1060 is Yamaha's replacement and should be available soon.

What's your budget?

Most of the currently available multi-channel SACD players I am aware of are universal players (i.e. play DVDs, Blu-rays etc). The audio only players from the likes of Marantz, Denon, Pioneer etc are stereo only.

I know of no current SACD MCH player that isn't a universal player. The NAD M5 was the last non-video MCH SACD player I can think of.

I quite like the Cambridge Audio CXU. It's based on the Oppo platform, which is another option. Unfortunately, the Oppo UDP-205 (and its UDP-203 baby brother), which does UHD and SACD, is still only "to be released some time soon".

Edit July 2017: The Oppo UDP-205 is now a product, which I purchased at release (see sig).

Last edited:
I just replaced a Sony BDP S5500 with a Sony UHP H1 as I'd been fooled by the BDP S5500 reviews that said "plays anything inc SACD". It does but only the stereo layer! I have packed away a Denon DVD 1930 in very good condition. That is a good SACD player with it's own decoder and 5.1 outputs on the back. Might be worth hunting one of those down?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom