1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MCE05 PC - rubber band running out (is it just me?)

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by Dunkwho, May 10, 2005.

1. Dunkwho

Dunkwho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Am I alone in this boat ... my MCE PC occasionally takes forever to respond to remote presses (couple of minutes sometimes ... maybe more). On the whole its fine, works perfectly - the problem usually pops up when the system hasn't been used for a while, the "get in from work want to watch tv WHATS THAT BLOODY SPINNING THING MEAN?" effect. The PC had a clean install of MCE, i think I've added nvidia drivers, vnc, dvd idle, mbm, and avg antivirus running at about 4 in the morning. The HD and monitor power saving options are set to never ... the normal situation is that I've left the PC in some windowed tv mode (looking at the guide, or mceweather ....) when the TV was turned off, 9 hours later I turn the TV on, hit the live TV button, can see the TV still running in the window (so the PC hasn't stalled), but have the swirly busy icon moving away.

Brief specs of my PC are in my sig, its not a power house I'll admit but its running a reasonable spec that I've used as an XP based desk PC for ages. Maybe you're having a similar problem and can see some parallels (half gig memory enough ... 200mhz fsb too slow ...??).

one more thing - I've not tried defragging the HD recently because I couldn't find it in the XP task scheduler (I'm not sitting here while you bloomin defrag, do it while I'm asleep!), any suggestions on an auto defragger?

Duncan

2. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +367
    Probably good practice to re-boot every day or two. And can you just start off the defrag - then go to bed...?

3. Dunkwho

Dunkwho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    :)

How about automating the reboot .... can't seem to find a way of doing that either :(

4. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +367
    Hmm, how about some automatic popcorn and wine dispensing when I am watching a film.....?

lisa
    :D

5. Dunkwho

Dunkwho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    lets not run before we can walk ... auto booze-n-food is stage 2 of the HT install.

6. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any chance of being able to look at task manager->performance?

What CPU and PF useage do you have - and how much RAM do you have in your systems? info on Commit charge and physical memory could provide some clue.

Another issue you could be having is that your CPU maybe throttling itself because of the heat (I see this particularing on my laptop)

7. Dunkwho

Dunkwho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    ... would be nice ... but the system won't even thrown up the mouse control pop up, can't minimise\task switch etc.

there isn't a remote system admin tool I could use to retrieve that info from a 2nd PC over my network is there ... not a remote desktop but something lower level ...?

8. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    does it not respond to a CTRL-ALT-DEL? (even eventually?) :s

9. Sandman

Sandman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +719
    Your set ip is quite similat to mine (AMD 2000XP, 512MB Ram) and I have the same problem (well maybe not quite as bad, mine will sometimes take maybe 10 seconds to respond). I think it is down to your system, faster processer and more ram will fix the problem. I only use mine for recording tv and watching later i.e. I dont watch llive tv on it so it doesnt bother me. Listening to music and looking through my photo albums is fine, the delay in responding only happens when watching tv.

10. mrmoo

mrmoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Try o&o defrag. You can schedule a defrag for an entire drive including system files like the MFT. It will have to reboot to get to the system files, it can place often used files near the front to speed it all up. Solves the reboot and tidy in one go.

http://www.oo-software.com/en/index.html