1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MCE WebGuide, I got it working

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by meansizzler, Aug 17, 2005.

1. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    I got it working, took me about 30 minutes but it's great, I downloaded it ran it and just followed the on screen instructions, which includes installing Windows IIS , Fixing the Service pack 2 bug and configuring port forwarding on my router, that's it really, best 3rd party plugin available for Media Center, if your curious the router i'm using is the Microsoft MN700, which I imported from the states from ebay.com, great router, can pick it up for £40, but you need to make a custom power lead. Anyway Now I can record and schedule my TV programs over any internet connection, anywhere in the world, well as Long as my computer is on, i'm going to see If I can get WAKE up on LAN to work now, so when I log in the computer starts...

Link

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Had to crop these screenshots, otherwise they would of been to big, there displaying media center info from a remote internet connection to my computer, allowing me to schedule recordings and stuff..

2. OhPinchy

OhPinchy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    That is pure genius! :clap:

I'm putting together my component list for my MCE machine and am nearly finished renovating my house and am looking forward to getting in and getting this bad boy up and running, and the more features like this I find out about the better it sounds.

So lemme get this straight: I can be sitting in work and schedule a recording on my MCE machine at home? Brilliant!

Let us know how you get on with the power on and off as it would be excellent if WebGuide could power on the system from standby and then power it off to standby when recording is complete.

3. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    Well the power on thing works when your system is on standby "Only power is supplied to your computer memory, everythng else is off", have yet to get the power off to work, waiting for my new case to arrive, then I can do some testing, but I really want to try that Wake up on LAN thing, but I don't see how that can be possible from standbye, as no power is being supplied to the network card.., I think that's prolly the hardest thing to get to work, i'm goign to try and looks for an option to supply standbye power to the network card, may need to edit the ragistry, but i'll look into it..

4. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    Got the stanby power supported for the network adapter, so when my computer is in standby, the Network card has power.., to do this.."Right Click"
    My Computer icon, and select "Properties", then "Hadware", "Device Manager", and from "Network Adapters", "Right click" "Properties" on the Network Card connected to your router/modem/internet connection, go to the "Power Management" tab and tick the 2nd option "Allow this device to bring computer out of standby" see diagram below for help, well that should do it....but i'm not sure about the option "only allow base station to bring computer out of standby", may need to deselect that, but this way any random/static activity coming from the modem should not wake the computer up, only the port forward option will, when you make a remote connection with webguide, well i'm hoping that it will, just got to work on the Wake up on LAN, but I think I disabled it in on my motherboard, guess I have to open up the computer and mess about with the jumpers..oh and I think an Admin should pin this topic, or put in in the "Media Center FAQ"

[​IMG]

5. Embarker

Embarker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    these and other plugins are all here :smashin:

6. TheCrow

TheCrow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    I don't see WebGuide on that site :nono:

You're better off going to the softwares home page as linked by the original poster.

http://asciiexpress.com/webguide/

7. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    I don't know anything about Wake up on Lan, anyone shed some light on this, i'm going to enable filesharing, and try and test this option..., should the pc switch itself on when I try to access one of it's shared folders from another computer?, provided I have WOL turned on in the bios...

8. Roaders

Roaders
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    That software looks great! Littel concerned about running IIS on my MCE though, I want all resources to go towards serving recorded programs, not webpages. Any idea what impact this has on performance?

I was really impressed with my MCE (only got it installed today). I leave it on standby and whenver I try to access any of the shared folders form another room it wakes up!

Means that when I get it set up properly in the mornign when I start to listen to music in my bedroom , MCE will wake up and serve me my tunes!

9. mkonieczko

mkonieczko
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Meansizzler

Just spent a morning getting it installed, but I cannot seem to find the WebGuide3 page either with the LAN or the external address that the WebGuide3 configurator suggests. I am trying this at the moment from the MCE system that it is installed on, so in theory no firewalls should be in the way?

I have followed all your instruction and those in the FAQs on the WebGuide site and the only thing I cannot do is to set up the ASP.NET permissions in Component Services. ASP.NET is not in the list of services. Could this be the problem?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Mark