1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MCE / Wake On LAN / Freezes & Lockups

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by mark.carline, Oct 24, 2005.

1. mark.carline

mark.carline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +125
    Ok I have now managed to get MCE working perfectly, turns on and off (into S3 standby) for scheduled recordings. Also works great with the remote control ie ON and OFF etc. (theres another thred on here that shows you how to set this up - works great!)

I have now tried to setup the network card so that when it receives a PING (ICMP request) the machine wakes up. I have managed to enable the setting in system / devices / network cards for my card to "Allow this device to bring the computer out of standby".

The problem I have is that when I ping the IP address of my MCE it sometimes doesnt seem to wake up properly (no video & frozen machine).

I would really like to be able to use WebGuide3 over t'internet to setup scheduled recordings (i know I may have to wait 30 secs and refresh to service the HTTP request but thats OK).

My MCE has a static IP address and my router is a DSL-G604T with port forwarding enabled (port 80) and I am using www.no-ip.com successfully.

Anyone else fancy getting somthing like this working ??

2. OhPinchy

OhPinchy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi Mark,

I'll definitely be looking into getting this going, but am a little behind you in terms of MCE experience it seems.

I'll be looking into the S3 thread this week hopefully and once I get that (and some wonderful connection issues with my HP Extenders, though I'm nearly there :smashin: ) sorted the next in line will be WebGuide.

So do you need to have your network card setup to wake on ping to allow WebGuide work or were you looking into that for some other reason.

My IP address changes after each time my machine/modem is shut down so I may have some differences in setup to you, but I will share whatever knowledge on this I do learn.

BTW - I think Iread somewhere that WebGuide 3 does not work if you have Rollup 2 installed.

3. mark.carline

mark.carline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +125
    WebGuide3 works fine for me both on the MCE PC (i perfer it as guide is much larger) and from any PC connected on my home LAN (192.168.x.x.).

What I am trying to do is get to a point when I leave my PC on 24x7 and the PC only wakes up when:
    1) When a scheduled recording kicks in
    2) When i connect to the PC to use WebGuide
    3) When i press the power on button to use MCE as normal.