MCE - Video capture card (not tuner card!)

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by summat, Aug 6, 2006.

1. summat

summat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any recommendations for a MCE compatible video capture card?, I don't particularly want a TV Tuner (although if it comes with a suitable addition video input then that'll do) - the idea is to feed the S-video from Sky box into the HTPC/MCE to get live broadcast, and even record from this.

Is this do-able within MCE?, and what's a competent (but cheap!) capture card?

(p.s. might be able to get a sweet-spot [not MCE digital tuner edition!] - would that work under MCE?)

2. BigBry

BigBry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    All the capture cards supported under MCE have a TV tuner too. They all do capture to MPEG2 using hardware encoding. Good value & reliable is the Hauppauge WinTV PVR150.

The Sweetspot capture card does not have a tuner, does not do hardware MPEG2 encoding & will never be supported under MCE. It will work _with_ MCE if you exit the MCE interface & just run Dscaler like any other XP application. MCE is just XP Pro with some extra MCE goodies.

4. BigBry

BigBry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah, but I do think there's some trick they're trying with the Sweetspot under MCE (there's similar comments in the Pixel Magic forums);

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3234007&postcount=11

The other link I posted leads you to a tool that will let you run and close Dscaler through the MCE interface - heaven (nearly)!

Fingers crossed!

5. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    Frankly I don't see much point in simply being able to invoke Dscaler & use the Sweetspot capture card from within the MCE interface. Why not just exit MCE & fire it up in the normal way? There is no integration with MCE, no EPG, no scheduling recordings & the recorded files will not appear as TV to MCE.

6. BigBry

BigBry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Because my wife and kids can then use it easily!

7. charris cy

charris cy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    summat,

i think the av expander cards from simplifi digital can do exactly what you want. Have a loot at www.simplifidigital.com.

In the uk you can buy them from here:
    http://www.pluggedin.tv/s.nl/it.A/id.131/.f?sc=2&category=19

I think their price is very good and they can support 4 inputs ( 1 s-video and 3 composite) that you can name and swich under the mce interface!

The only thaing that is missing from these cards are component inputs...

You can read a review also here:
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/chrisl/archive/2006/06/23/102670.aspx

What I would like to know though is if you can record from the sources and also if you can use an EPG in the sources.

8. charris cy

charris cy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    It seems from what i have read that you are not able to record in one of the inputs of the av expander card from simplifi digital. So for your needs the best solution is to buy an mce compatible tv tuner card and use the input on that (s-video or composite usually). This way you can record and aslo have EPG.

If you want component input then i think the only solution is the sweetspot card mentioned above but is it in not supported in mce and i am nou sure if you can use an EPG with it.

9. summat

summat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Aha, thanks, that does sound like what I want... except, like you say, it's unclear whether you can record from the video source - which is precisely what I want it for so I can *cough* record onto HTPC hard-disk the content of my Sky+.

Thanks, will dig around

10. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    My wife has no problem exiting MCE to use DVBViewer to watch BBC HD broadcasts. I recommend you deliver some better End-User Training:)

11. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    The OP asked for a solution for viewing/recording from s-video from Sky+. No Sky digibox has comonent output.

12. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    They play in real time through MCE. They cannot record within the MCE interface, you cannot use the MCE EPG. They cost just under 60 pounds. The Sweetspot costs 149 pounds.

Why are you so dead set against buying a supported MCE TV tuner/capture as I recommended in my first post?

The Hauppauge WinTV PVR150 costs under 60 pounds & that package includes the MCE remote control & IR receiver http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/101713/rb/20872139847

13. BigBry

BigBry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nigel, I concede, my communication skills must be a notch below yours :D

14. summat

summat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not set against it at all, the point is I don't need a TV tuner, but as in the original post I identified that I simply want to be able to record the Sky+ output, whether by RGB or s-video. Also, re. component, I do actually have a buffered RGB->YUV converter that supplies the projector, so could *actually* use this, but this is not my intended solution.

So, in a nutshell, you're saying a PVR150 will allow me to record, within MCE, a s-video source? Also, you say it comes with a MCE remote... not the proper one, surely?, I'm still after a MCE remote (the radio keyboard/joystick isn't very ergonomic!) but I want the proper illuminated one (ref. projector and dark rooms).

15. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    Yes

If you follow the URL I gave you then you will see that it does. I'm not sure that they are all illuminated though.

16. summat

summat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Aha, Hmmm, for £50, you say, including remote... sounds like too good an offer to miss. Off to buy one, thanks.

17. summat

summat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Hmmm, just a follow-up, there's a WinTV-PVR 150 as PC-World a couple of miles down the road for £40 including a Hauppauge remote control - looks similar to a MCE remote, but not quite the same (can't see the "green-button", for example).

...or I can get a WinTV-PVR 150 MCE from Scan, for £62 including remote, or £40 (OEM) without remote.

Amazingly, this means that (spit) PC World could actually be cheaper than a major box-shifter like Scan.

Anyone know if the WinTV-PVR 150 (without the MCE suffix) is, in hardware terms, the same as is supplied with the WinTV-PVR 150 MCE? (if so, I might as well get the PC-World one, and later, upgrade the remote if necessary to the MCE remote).

18. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    All WinTV PVR 150 cards are the same. The MCE suffix indicates that they are packaged without the Hauppauge remote & software.

The Hauppauge remote is no use in MCE. If you are using MCE to capture from an external STB then you must have the MCE IR receiver & remote as the IR bugs that are used to control the STB plug into the IR receiver.

19. summat

summat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay, that's pretty clear. 150-MCE here I come. Thanks for the support.