Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

MCE system reviews?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by ngchol, Apr 19, 2005.

1. ngchol

ngchol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I'm looking for a good roundup of currently available systems - what I'm really looking for is a mini-ITX box with integrated twin Freeview tuners. Does such a system exist at the moment? Mesh's boxes seem like good value but they make use of a single external tuner.

2. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,269
    Build your own, much more satisfying, and you can have exactly what you want!

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2017
  3. ngchol

ngchol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    great idea! I've built plenty of PCs in the past. Has anyone gone down the mini-ITX route and managed to integrate twin tuners, i.e. are there enough expansion slots?

4. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,269
    If you can find a mini-itx mobo with twin PCI slots you are sorted, although you can get one PCI card with twin tuners on, however I don't believe this is avaiable yet for DVB-T (freeview), but I'm sure it won't be long.

I have an MCE supported USB2 DVB-T card connected to an external powered hub which seems to be working very well, this is a good solution as you can tuck it away out of sight, and it does not drain the power supply either, I imagine you can use two, or more, although they are not cheap at £80.

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2017
  5. ngchol

ngchol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I just found this on Nebula's site - they're bringing out a dual-DVB-T device in August, and given that their MCE drivers should be ready in May, that looks like my solution :)

http://www.nebula-electronics.com/news/onthehorizon.asp

6. Duggy

Duggy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Tranquil PC (www.tranquilpc.co.uk) do Mini-ITX based fanless PCs with twin digital tuners. I had an earlier Via MEII1200 based model which was sluggish in the menus and slightly jerky in playback, eventually sent it back. The SP1300 model might be better, but for safety I'd go for one of their Pentium-M models.

Cheers,

Duggy