1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MCE Recorded TV

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by onefivenine, May 10, 2005.

1. onefivenine

onefivenine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +647
    Is it possible to have more than one location for your recorded TV? It seems to be limited to one drive and mine's nearly full!
    I can see how to switch between drives but it would be good if all my recorded TV could be seen in one logical place...

I can't find any tweaks on the subject. Has anyone else looked into this?

2. Werner

Werner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no, you cannot have multiple "recorded tv" locations. However, there is an easy way round this.

Lets assume you have some tv recorded already, have now run out of space and have a pretty new hard drive sitting there.

Do as follows: install new hard drive, format it and assign a drive letter to it. Copy all your recorded tv to the drive. Now delete the recorded tv from c:\documents and settings\all users\documents\recorded tv (path may be wrong by one letter or two, dont blame me, you can figure it out easily enough)

Now, we need to get the new hard drive to appear under "recorded tv" so that it gets used as this. In linux, you would mount the drive in the folder, in windows xp, we can do a similar thing. Go to disk administrator (right click on "my computer", select "manage" and select "disk administrator". Select your drive letter for the new drive and right click on it, choose "change drive letters and paths". Now, remove the drive letter assigned to it. Select the "add" button and choose "mount in the following empty ntfs folder", now browse to you recorded tv folder and add that. What will happen now is that your new drive will appear as a folder, exclusively for use for recorded tv.

Unfortunately, you cant add multiple drives to a single folder (i.e. have more than one drive appear as the root directory under "recorded tv") but this way you can at least increase the capacity of the recorded tv folder without adding additional drive letters. Once the new drive is filled up, remove the mount point and perhaps add it under "my videos/archived" and fut another drive in and mount it as "recorded tv"

P.S. the above is what I would do...it may not fit your scenario but it makes sense to me :thumbsup:

3. onefivenine

onefivenine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +647
    Thanks very much Werner I'll give it a try...

4. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +367
    Or.... install your new drive - copy all your recorded tv to it then...

In MCE go to settings - tv - recorder - recorder storage - change the drive letter to record on to the drive letter of the new drive.

lisa

5. Werner

Werner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah lisa, there is that option also...very easy to do, but adding another drive adds another drive letter, which may cause havoc with programs already installed. Having drive mount points in windows xp is a very nice feature to have for precisely these scenarios. Each to his own though :)

6. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +367
    I am sure your solution will work excellently, but I read your post and thought :eek:
    MCE stores recorded tv in a folder called 'recorded tv' on whichever drive letter you set in the settings. It defaults to the same drive that windows is installed on (C usually), but I have moved mine to a separate drive (D) - no probs. You can then move the files already recorded in to that folder.