1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MCE & Playing Hi Def Films

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by windfall, Jul 20, 2005.

1. windfall

windfall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Hi All

I have got the HiDef bug and have a raft of media thats sat on my system. Is there any players for MCE2005 that will play the .TS files?

Cheers

Tone

2. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +398
    What are these .ts files and where can I get them?

3. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Lisag.

.ts files are essentially just the Transport Stream (i.e. .ts) and is a very popular way of holding hi-def material for sending around. Getting hold of .ts files or for that matter any hi def material in the UK is going to be a bit of investigation and possibly a big download..... Try the hi def new groups etc. at alt.binaries for instance. Be aware that offically you are not supposed to download these things due to copyright etc....... As for playing back .ts files (and a few other hi def file types) you need something like TheaterTek, Zoomplayer or even WMP with the correct codec (although I'd say the first two are far better). You normally find that .ts files are chopped up into smaller files (for easier download) and TT or the like will play the files in order seamlessly these days as long as they are all in the same directory! The quality of the .ts file will depend on who encoded it in the first place and at what bit rate but normally the files are a whole heap better than anything you have seen before.

As a peace offering, if you send me over a USB disk drive I'll bung a file on for you to play with (safest bet is a recorded hi def transmission from the USA to keep things legal....). Blockbuster movie files are out there but you will have to find those yourself for obvious reasons.... You are going to need a bit of raw horsepower to play them back though as data rates are far higher than standard DVD.... ;)

4. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +398
    Thanks Graham,
    I have a bit more info now and will have a little browse around and see what I can find...
    lisa

5. Muf

Muf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Tone, you could try converting the .ts files to .mpg using "HDTVtoMPEG"
    My MCE plays the HiDef .ts and .mpg ok but with one small snag. When I select the file to play, the screen goes black and nothing further happens, it's as if it is paused at the beginning of the file. If I press stop on the remote and then select "Resume" the file plays perfectly, this is true for both .ts and .mpg files. I am using the latest Nvidia codec, the 60 day trial version.

Lisa, There are 5 HiDef clips available here:
    ftp://www.cmf.nrl.navy.mil/pub/iHDTV/
    All are in mpg form and legal as far as I know. Space shuttle.

Jim

6. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +398
    Thanks for the link will have a look...
    I have downloaded some files from the Microsoft Website lots of hi-def clips, but not got anything longer than about 2 minutes so far...

7. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Careful here, the transport streams are pure (well as pure as it gets) converting them may lead to lower quality than just using a player that semalessly plays them unaltered......
    As I said TT2.1 plays .ts very nicely as does one or two others, I'd avoid conversion if at all possible.
    Oh and 2 minute clips are common as they are huge files and are just a taster, if anyone posted a full film in 1080i .ts like Gladiator (and that does exist) for instance that would be illegal........

8. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +398
    The problem with installing TT on an MCE machine is that it may mess up the dvd codecs, as it uses a version of the nvidia one I believe?

lisa

Is the Gladiator film available to buy (legally) and if so how do I get it, and get the footage on to my HTPC as I guess it would not use the ordinary DVD Rom..........?

9. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Yep, I am not aware of people getting TT2.1 to work in the same excellent way it does on XP pro, it does indeed use NVidia based codecs by default.

I'm not aware of anywhere you can buy the 1080i version of Gladiator, the .ts file won't fit on a DVD-Rom either its a bit too big for that, I'll check..... I know the file was split into chunks so maybe the files might fit on several DVD's...... Of course you can't play them from the DVD, you need to copy them to the hard disk first.... Most people around here use a 100GB Lacie pocket drive to "transfer" files from PC to PC :smashin:

10. windfall

windfall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Hey all - thanks for the input!
    I have not tried using zoom in MCE but wouldnt mind tring the theatre tek. I have now also (off topic a bit) got the xbox streaming media to my PJ in my lounge, but the WMV Hi Def I have wioll not play in Xbox Media Centre. Any idea why? I get a white/black screen flash and then back to XBMC!

I will set a system restore point and try and install the theatre tek software and give it a try.

Cheers

Tone

11. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +398
    Well, I got me a .ts file... it playsback fine in WMP10 using the nvidia dvd codec, and will start playing in MCE ok, but then crashes if I try to navigate the file at all (stop, ffd, skip etc).

12. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    You can't fast forward the file in WMP or do much at all..... It normally just ignores the command, if yours crashes it is what I'd expect really if you kept asking it to do anything other than play..... It should stop though......and start from the beginning....... Useless really but that is WMP.....
    TT2.1 can do it.....most of the time....

13. Cheekster

Cheekster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Hmmm, having just ordered a new HP desktop PC running Windows MCE might have been a mistake after reading above comments, especially as one of the main reasons for the upgrade was for playback of Hi-Def trailers etc?

Anyone out there running MCE managed to playback Hi-Def material without any crashes/problems etc?

Thanks.

Cheekster.

14. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +398
    It plays back the microsoft downloaded files ok, it is just these .ts files that it struggles with. I expect when high def becomes properly available (Blu Ray DVD's or whatever) there will be compatibility within MCE.

lisa

15. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    MCE via WMP will play .ts files, all you need is the correct codec installed.

Try this one:-
    http://www.free-codecs.com/download/HDTV_Pump_Filter.htm

I've only done limited testing on it but it doesn't appear to do any harm and works with the .ts files I threw at it last night.... Mind you getting TheatreTek to work with MCE is always going to give you superior results but I haven't tried that yet as XLobby works just fine over XPpro.....

16. sunlink

sunlink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I paly Hi-Def TS files via Power DVD launched outside of MCE without any issues.

Hope this helps

Steve :)

17. scumball

scumball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +414
    I replied in a different thread to a similar question

18. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Any pure-video spec decoder will do :smashin:

I think people will want to play the files direct within MCE GUI but as the chap says you can crash out of the GUI and use it to load any player.....

19. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +398
    That's weird because I have a 6600GT and Nvidia Codec and the .ts files play ok in WMP10, but not properly within MCE.

I looked at the High Def pump thing, looks interesting but will wait and see if anyone else has problems with it - it has taking a long time to get MCE perfected and I am very wary of installing codecs that may mess it up :cool:

lisa

20. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Many video cards will install the codec's for .ts files as a result of installing the drivers, its just pot luck really. As for WMP10 playing the files fine outside of MCE GUI and not within is weird and not surprising for Microsoft really...... Take a look at TheaterTek's web site and thier own forum, it might contain some useful stuff on MCE and players.

21. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    Best program to use for playing back .ts files direclty is Win DVD 7, media player does not play all .ts files, even with the nvidia dvd decoder, I have used all the dvd decoders out there, and they all have issues, even Win DVD, but it terms of quality Win DVD in the best DVD decoder out there for MCE and DVD playback, just need to be configured right. Anyway MCE will not play back .ts files correclty just like media player, the only program capable of playing back all HD formats is Win DVD 7, download a trial form intervideo.com, to get it to play .ts files directly, you have to change the .ts extention to .mpeg then associate windvd as the default player for .mpeg file, you can do this by going to My Computer>Tools>Folder Options>File Types.

Just for the record, I use windows media player 10 for watching dvd's/recorded tv/WMV HD Files, so much better than MCE, MCE is only good for Watching/Recording Live Tv...., basically media player 10 is my default media player, with WinDVD used for .ts files, and quicktime used for quicktime files...

Spent alot of time finding the best programs for playign back all media files, and there is not one which can do it all yet, so this is the best configuration I have come up with...

22. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Urm, MCE uses WMP10 to play files as that is the default player..... It might bugger about with it but..... As far as I am aware TT2.1 also plays just about everything....and with the new renderless mode looks superb..... Horses for courses naturally.... I would check that a player can also play .tp files as these are very common in the States for recorded hi def off air, I am sure people know how to get hold of these one way or the other......

23. scumball

scumball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +414
    Remember all of this is in your opinion. WinDVD7 did not play .ts files on my system at all. MCE plays back all my files (don't use QT) perfectly with full remote control options - I know others have not found this but there you go.

24. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    sorry I forgot, you need to rename the .ts files to .mpeg, then associate the .mpeg files to open with win dvd 7, then they play perfectly, that's .mpeg not .mpg, .mpg should be played by media player 10....

25. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +398
    I joined the .ts files together then played them back in WMP10.... I guess each system is slightly different..

lisa

26. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +490
    Hardly surprising. The Xbox simply doesn't have enough grunt to play the WMV HiDef clips. Microsoft recommend something like a 3GHz P4 & the Xbox only has a 733Mhz PIII Celeron.

27. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +398
    I thought you could get a hi-def pack for the xbox, lots of discussion about it over here
    lisa

28. scumball

scumball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +414
    That's for HD output of games (when appropriately coded like MTX or SCII) - side benefit is upscaling of DVDs in some dashboards available in resolutions up to 1080i, like XBMC.

29. windfall

windfall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Well I found out after plugging in my sons and setting it to 720p that it would play some of the clips (where mine would flash black and white) but would drop frames because of the lack of processor grunt - so clearly an issue with software.
    Strange one, but now I have the link player 2 I dont care any more!

Still I will have to buy an xbox 360 after seeing those vids on PGR3 :devil:

Tone