MCE or Vista?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by petermg, Dec 26, 2006.

?
  1. MCE is the best

10 vote(s)
    45.5%
  2. Vista is the best

12 vote(s)
    54.5%
  1. petermg

petermg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whats the best MCE or Vista?

2. matty555

matty555

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    not enough Vista users me thinks..............;)

3. stockyvillage

stockyvillage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    mce is incorporated into vista so the question is hyperthetical

4. alpine101

alpine101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
  5. stockyvillage

stockyvillage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    no you woul:boring: d fall asleep before you read all that

6. alpine101

alpine101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    I guess you work for Microsoft then, they certainly prefer people not to read the detail:)

7. stockyvillage

stockyvillage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    no i dont but i am running vista rc1

8. alpine101

alpine101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    For how much longer? And wait till you upgrade your hardware:D

9. stockyvillage

stockyvillage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    gutmann is a good computer scientist all he is going on in that report is basically cost. but if i remember right when he invented the gutmann shreddar program he didnot release it for free he sold it.so it sounds like the pot calling the kettle black and it is not only vista he goes on about in that report it is every os and going back to the original post my answer stays the same mce is incorporated into vista

10. alpine101

alpine101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    With respect, I don't think you have read the report in detail: it's not just about cost though he has used the increased costs as one of the negative points.

However, it's up to you!

11. fourfoot

fourfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Best for what?

12. Singh400

Singh400
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,370
    Vista hands down. I've had Vista RTM installed for 30+ days. It does everything XP does but better, quicker, faster. Its the little things you notice. I wasn't orginally going to upgrade to Vista till SP1. But once I get a bit of time, vista is going to on all my boxes. Apart from one which I'll keep for the programs that only work on XP.

13. Ballistix999

Ballistix999
    Remembered (1966-2012)

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Simple answer is MCE. It's out now and not beta or RTM. Vista is also not supported at all from a consumer perspective. Things like "My Movies" and so on are not supported in Vista yet either.

Get MCE and then upgrade to Vista in 3-6 months. That the sensible choice. Or, go for Vista and be in for a whole heap of **** that won't be supported...(I'm not saying it's not better, I've not tried Vista MCE yet or Ultimate etc, but it's not live yet and unless you are an early adopter with the attitude that it might break, steer clear).

TT

14. WelshBluebird

WelshBluebird

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    RTM is the final release though - it is the copy that will be in PC world etc in around 1 month. Add to that the RTM copy has actually been released to some people (MSND, Connect, MSDN AA, etc), and so is technically released.

The thing about my movies is incorrect, all they have done is removed the My from the folder name.

Personally, I'd go with vista. I've had RC2 installed on my 3 year old PC (althon XP 3000+, 1GB RAM, FX5500) for around a month, and apart from gaming (which is expected cos RC2 is still beta, and using beta drivers), it does everything as fast as XP. I've only just uninstalled it as I need all my HDD for my games now lol (I had a few games for xmas and a 7600GT lol).

15. Steve.J.Davies

Steve.J.Davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Just about every paragraph should be waking people up . . .

16. Ballistix999

Ballistix999
    Remembered (1966-2012)

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    There's already another version after RTM :). It will manifest as an MS update of course.

So don't count your chickens. I'm on the beta, so I'm just giving you my opinion and MS are good at nailing stuff but go with what you want. Just be prepared for more problems under Vista than XP. It's just practical common sense that there will be more problems with a v1.0 of an OS. :)

I'm also not talking about the "my" removal. I'm talking about this brilliant plugin from binnerup :)

http://www.mymovies.name/

All the best,
    TT

17. WelshBluebird

WelshBluebird

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    ahh right lol. Personally, I'm gonna wait probably 6 months or so before I upgrade to vista, (just for MS to tidy up a few loose ends) but If I was building a new PC (or getting a new OS) at the end of january, it would be vista.

18. Singh400

Singh400
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,370
    You say your on the beta, yet you say MCE is not RTM?! rofl :p That made me giggle. PS, nice to meet a fellow beta tester :p

Personally I'd go for Vista (then again I got my copy for free) - if money is an issue (and it could well be with vista pricing) go with MCE and use the upgrade coupon when the time comes.

19. Ballistix999

Ballistix999
    Remembered (1966-2012)

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Hi there. I'm just saying MCE was the last thing to get completed and it's bound to have bugs. :) I'm also saying that I think "My Movies" from binnerup is so good that I wouldn't go to Vista MCE until binnerup supports it. :)

..oh and when you say RTM... that's "Release to Manufacture" it still means there will be a heap load of updates on day one...don't forget that...and you know it :). I've got a pretty good relationship with MS, we are working with them in my business so I've got a pretty good in detail opinion, on top of the beta testing stuff.

Down to choice really, if you get it for free, try the Vista one! I'm sure it'll be fine "when" it's release in 5 weeks time.

Oh and don't forget the graphics drivers from both ATI and Nvidia are ALL beta, the Nvidia drivers for the 8 series don't even exist yet! (the cards I have are 8 series). Just be careful... :)

TT

20. NaTT

NaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    I read all the posts to this point before bothering to (start) reading the report in the link above. It changed my mind.

You really should read at least a third of it.....

Whilst not answering MCE or Vista? it does answer why not Vista? - Perhaps that's why there's a few sparks above.

21. Ballistix999

Ballistix999
    Remembered (1966-2012)

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    No sparks here, all good fun. :)

22. ancientgeek

ancientgeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For those that can't be bothered to read Peter Gutman's Cost Analysis of Windows Vista Content Protection, his ultra short summary says "The Vista Content Protection specification could very well constitute the longest suicide note in history"

Incorporating end to end encryption in a general purpose computer compromises not only money cost, but performance, stability and usability. Vista will silently degrade the quality of the machine's output (both sound and vision) if it suspects there may be a theoretical possibility of unencrypted content being copied anywhere. This is an impossible task for a general purpose, user programmable operating system. It will create havoc.

To enable this (dis)functionality, you will only be able to install MS-licensed drivers for devices, and MS can revoke the license of drivers or devices, rendering them retrospectively non-functional. To get a taste of what this will be like for unfortunate customers, read the Pioneer plasma screen HDCP problem thread here on AVforums.

FYI, HDDVD has recently beek cracked, although this isn't a repeat of DVD-Jon, because they have revocation available this time. But it may be enough to put movies already released on HDDVD out on bittorrent.

Microsoft's attempt to make the PC the hub of your living room is misguided, and likely to fail. MCE/Vista is fine for geeks when it works, but it will always be a minority solution. Combined with Vista's aggressive degrading, disabling and revocation features, it's not going to be the winner in the living room. Microsoft's second line of defense is Xbox. (I suspect Zune isn't about going head to head with iPod, but more about establishing a content distribution channel for Xbox.)

It's going to be fascinating to see what happens in the market as Vista, Xbox+Zune, iTV+iPod, Sky HD, and PS3 slog it out for control of your living room.

Apologies for any errors in the above; it's just my best shot at a summary of the issue.

23. Stiggy

Stiggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,043
    There's some real nonsense 'quoted' in this thread.

Firstly, Vista is released, and many people are using it now. Only businesses and people with MSDN/TechNet subscriptions can get it now, and the consumer release is on January 31st. There will hopefully be a lot more consumer-oriented support online by that date. If anyone looked after the Xbox 360 launch, there was loads of good support information provided.

It isn't a 1.0 release, this is actually Windows 6.0. However, following the release of any new OS version, third party hardware and software support will be a bit shakey. Anyone who has been waiting (like me) for Hauppauge drivers for Vista will know what I mean.

24. Ballistix999

Ballistix999
    Remembered (1966-2012)

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Stig, if it's V6.0 why will drivers be shaky?

Cheers

TT

25. Ballistix999

Ballistix999
    Remembered (1966-2012)

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    AncientGeek.

I have to say, that as/if it's now cracked then expect the movie companies to act swiftly to make sure HDCP is developed to be future proofed as quickly as possible. I can see an online only protection system appearing very quickly...sadly...it'll mean that regionalisation of HD-DVD is likely to appear very quickly. :(

T

26. Singh400

Singh400
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,370
    And people who got their free copy from Microsoft Connect! :D

I don't expect Vista to be supported fully yet for atleast another 6-12 months. Damn software developers (ie Creative) are so lazy, they've had FIVE years.

27. Ballistix999

Ballistix999
    Remembered (1966-2012)

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Finally people are coming round to my point in the first place. This is all I was getting at... :smashin:

28. Baloo

Baloo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    According to the website, MyMovies is supported on Vista x86 (look at the downloads page).