• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

MCE on a dual monitor PC?

WheresMyArtisan

Established Member
I'm about to put an NVidia dual DVI graphics card in my desktop PC. I want two monitors for general PC use. The PC already has MCE on it.

Does anyone know what MCE does on a dual monitor setup? I assume it works in a window OK, just wondering what happens when you go full-screen? Can I have telly full-screen on one monitor, while I do something else on the other?

Ta v much.

scrambler2

Standard Member
No problem at all
First setup your two screens with Nvidia control panel, in Dual View (meaning each screen is independant)

Then open Media center in a window (not ful screen) on the primary monitor. then move it to second monitor (you can also right click at the top of the window, you should have an Nview option, and inside these options, you have the choice to send the window to the other screen).
Once on the other screen, put the media center in full screen. From that point on, when you start media center, it will open by default on the second screen.

Now there is one limitation with media center in full screen on the secondary monitor, and it is that it steels the mouse cursor for itself, so normally you cannot use it on the primary monitor while Media Center is on the secondary one. But there is a workaround.

When you have Media Center open in full screen on the secondary monitor, hit the Windows Key on the keyboard (the one that opens the start menu), and this will bring the mouse back to the primary monitor. You can now work on the primary monitor while running media center on the second one. If at any time the media center regrabs the mouse cursor, hit the Windows key again to bring it back

WheresMyArtisan

Established Member
Great, thanks very much. So my plan will work then - work on one, watch telly on the other.

I was looking at a 24" widescreen monitor at first, but then I realised you can have two 19" monitors for less. Much more screen area for the money.

The card is on its way from Ebay-land, for the princely sum of £30 including delivery. Item no 120065627244. £32.99 + delivery, but I offered £25, which was accepted. This card is £100-ish from the normal suppliers.

Dual DVI, low profile, passive cooling, directx 9 compatible. I'm not after gaming peformance so it should hopefully be up to the job.

nigelbb

Distinguished Member
The card is on its way from Ebay-land, for the princely sum of £30 including delivery. Item no 120065627244. £32.99 + delivery, but I offered £25, which was accepted. This card is £100-ish from the normal suppliers.
Thanks for the pointer on this one. I'll be ordering a couple for myself particularly now I know that the seller will accept just £25:)

nigelbb

Distinguished Member
I was looking at a 24" widescreen monitor at first, but then I realised you can have two 19" monitors for less. Much more screen area for the money.
Just bought my first 24" monitor at an amazing price through employee purchase scheme. Just 650 Euros. It's so good that I have had to buy my wife another one for Xmas:)

WheresMyArtisan

Established Member
Just bought my first 24" monitor at an amazing price through employee purchase scheme. Just 650 Euros. It's so good that I have had to buy my wife another one for Xmas:)

Not bad, but I'm buying two brand new Dell Ultrasharp 19" monitors for £300 inc delivery. Prefer my offer personally.

nigelbb

Distinguished Member
Not bad, but I'm buying two brand new Dell Ultrasharp 19" monitors for £300 inc delivery. Prefer my offer personally.
That's a good price. I was torn between buying 2 x 20" 1600x1200 or one 24" 1920x1200 as the cost was about the same. I am very glad that I opted for the latter. It's just _fantastic_:)!!!

WheresMyArtisan

Established Member
I was considering getting two 20" widescreens, but I thought it would be excessively big! Too much head movement from one end of the desktop to the other. But ebuyer are currently doing a Philips one for £200. Tempting.

I think I'm now settled on two HannsG 19" LCDs, at £121 each from ebuyer. Speakers, DVI and height adjustable stand included. Very good reviews too. Bargain.

I decided against the 20" ones because the pixels are just too small at 1600x1200. (around 0.25mm pixels) Whereas 19" ones are 1280x1024 (around 0.3mm pixels). Although there are one or two 1400 20" monitors that I might have a look at. For the work I do, I need to be able to see every individual pixel without a magnifying glass. I'm unusual though - for most, the more pixels the better.

I've ordered a metal double headphone adaptor for the PC sound. I'm hoping I can pull it apart and re-wire it so that the left monitor has 2x left channels, and vice versa. So from the four speakers I'll have L-L-R-R instead of L-R-L-R.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom