MCE on 852x480

G

grimboy

Right,

I've been posting q's like crazy today.... but does anybody here have experience of running MCE on 852x480 (SD) plasma.....

I know it will be dodgy for normal pc use, but for the actual MCE interface is everything cool?

For doing stuff in the normal XP interface, what do you do? Dual monitor or remote desktop....

Does remote desktop pull up another user instance or take control of the existing one that is open?

Dan

grimboy said:
Right,

I've been posting q's like crazy today.... but does anybody here have experience of running MCE on 852x480 (SD) plasma.....

I know it will be dodgy for normal pc use, but for the actual MCE interface is everything cool?

For doing stuff in the normal XP interface, what do you do? Dual monitor or remote desktop....

Does remote desktop pull up another user instance or take control of the existing one that is open?

Dan
Hi Dan,

Yes I have MCE running on my Panasonic PW7 plasma which is SD.
I am connected via DVI and find the res 1024 x 576 @60hz works best. This is good for navigating windows, browsing, and for MCE and video playback. When I was connected via VGA I used 1280 x 720 @ 60hz, this was good too. I did go on a quest for 1:1 pixel mapping, but not sure if I achieved it or not, with the screen properly calibrated the text looks crisp and is very good.

grimboy said:
Right,

Yep pw6.

grimboy said:

tried 852x480, easy to read but not useable pc-wise. settled for 1064x600 @ 60hz (not a million miles from deleted member). Looks good to me and strikes a nice balance. Games seem to shift pretty well at this res too. Dvd at 852x480 definately didn't look any better than other res's to me.

grimboy said:

I either close the MCE interface or minimise it (so i can still listen to music :)).
A nice feature is using the xp desktop (gilf emailing) and the remote still controls the minimized mce music without taking focus. :) so cool

Maw said something about when you watch PAL sources at frequencies that don't divide by 25Hz, you get flicker?

Do you experience that? I am going to use the media box for all television, so don't want issues with that....

He did say that the PW7 will take 50Hz, but im interested in your experiences with 60Hz since you say that is best for you?

Dan

Guys, I know you're happy with your chosen resolutions but 1:1 pixel mapping does produce the best results.

With a PW6/7, a res of 856x480 @ 50/60Hz is the way to go. You'll loose 2 pixels either side (need to adjust Picture Pos./Size on the TV) but the end results are significantly better than 1024x576 etc.

Yes, 865x480 isn't the best for games or general PC use but for MCE, it's the way to go.

Yes, 50 or 75Hz is better for Pal & 60Hz for NTSC. Try Sky's "ticker tape" @ 60Hz - enjoy the stutter!!! Silky smooth : 50Hz.

:smoke:

I always use 60hz on my HTPC to the PW7 never had any flickering problems with PAL or NTSC material.

Kramer - this 1:1 pixel mapping is haunting me.... When film playback kicks in, does it not override the pc resolution anyway, as films with a lower resolution are automatically resized to fit the screen. So, if I change to 856 x 480, will that affect the quality of video playback?

Last edited by a moderator:
Was there no reply to this because it is a really stupid question and I should know better..... or does 1:1 pixel mapping not affect video playback (I suspect the former).

deleted member said:
Was there no reply to this because it is a really stupid question and I should know better..... or does 1:1 pixel mapping not affect video playback (I suspect the former).

If your using Pure Video on the 6600GT series it scales the DVD to PC res so a DVD would be scaled upto whatever res your desktop is at,

I tried DVDs at native res and 1280x720 and as i could not see any difference whatsoever so i kept 1280x720 as its better for games and Windows use

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom