• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

MCE MY TV 2400i Terribletec Help help help please

bill_lamb

Standard Member
Hi all, can I beg some help please !! MCE and Terratec 2400 dt (mce version) is driving me nuts ..

this is my story ..
I'm novice and studied AVFORUMS for weeks before spending my hard earned. I picked out tips etc from many deleted member, Jons, Mark - thank you all ..

I eventually went for Shuttle with terratec, the latter a mistake I now feel. I put the terratec in my shuttle about a week ago, got given choice of 4 transmiiters, messed about a bit, sownloading, crashing re-booting etc .. and eventually got 61 channels from winter hill, bingo i thought ! telly for the kids and dearest .. oh no !!

I got the stuttering syndrome after 10-15 mins, getting worse, then crashing .. I put it down to bad signal (even though aerial worked happily for 3 years with tj hughes cheapo digi box) - maybe the weather .. ? a few days later still the same issue .. so i tried to pick a diff transmittter, re-load the channnels etc .. still the sam .. so i reset from off the mce settings menu and now my issue is I CANNOT SCAN and get ANY CHANNELS !! agghhhh

.. i can see the legacy of the 61 i used to have in the edit/configure channels
but don't seem to be able to re-load them ? i've checked my aerial as best i can, and used a cheapo aerial. i've powered it all down and unplugged overnight, and i've re-run the mce setup .. still no joy ..

please help somebody .. i've spent a firtune on this (dead duck) so far. I realise that if i get this 'working' again i have all the issues i have read re: stuttering ... but any ideas ?

by theway, last night I completed my read of the 450 post whopping thread re : stuttering and terrabletec .. http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282837&highlight=terratec+2400i ... it was quite exciting as i approached the end, at 1:30 am -- would there be a fix on the final post ??? no - seems not ... shall i bin this terratec 2400i now ?!

cheers to al, Bill

markxtc123

Hi Bill,

I am sorry to hear of the problems you are having with the Terratec card. From what I have read here this card is a lemon. It appears to work for a small minority but no-one is sure why it works for them and not for others. Terratec have admitted there is a problem with this card in the UK and have provided newer drivers in an attempt to sort out the problem but do not appear to be able to resolve the problem satisfactoraly.

I don't have this card. I am quite happy with my BlackGold pci card and AverMedia USB tuner. I would suggest you contact whoever you bought the Terrtec card from, quote the Sale fo Goods act at them (goods not fit for the purpose for which they were sold.) and get a refund.

Mark

D

Deleted member 39241

Hi Bill, I am actually getting on quite well with my terratec 2400i, I know I am in the minority. I don't watch much live tv though, just get MCE to record everything I want, then watch back from the library - having checked my history it has failed less than 5% of times, which is not so bad.

I did use an Avermedia A800 (usb) to do the original channel scan, this seemed to work quite well for me - eliminating all the extra channles that the terratec finds on its own. I am also using the original drivers, not tried the beta ones as I don't want to break it now!

My advice to you is...
Check for any motherboard / Bios updates for the shuttle.
Borrow or buy another tuner to do the channel scan for you,
Clear out all the tv settings and start from scratch,
Try the beta drivers for the card.

Failing that, I believe mark has succesfully got dual tuners working with a shuttle - an Avermedia A800 USB and Nova-T PCI (IIRC).

EDIT: LOL: mark got in first!

Last edited by a moderator:

bill_lamb

Standard Member
hi there, and thanks to you both for your replies, which help me to make up my mind - it's going back on Monday. I read the 450 post stuutering thread last night, and one persons comments hot home clear .. thet said they didn't have the mess about with it .. and would swallow their pride and spend more money .. i haven't got too much choice anyway as I'm novice ..

it's disappointing as one of the main purposes of the shuutle was for tv .. i now have a rather expnsive looking (nealty 3 grand!) htpc system, that just does music, video and dvd (for a while, decoder lend time permitting)

Lisa, do you mind telling how I clear out all the tv settings ..

ok, one last go, as i've made some progress since posting this thread. progress in the way of the tt crashing my pc. i had put the dvd that came with it back in my shuttle, and loaded soemthing crappy looking called 'powerdvd', anyhow made no diff - so i rebooted, and looked for more channels and it got stuck at 12% after 30 mins .. so re-booted pc, and will try again. this is promising because this was it's original behavour last week when i plugged it in for the first time ..

cheers again, Bill

D

Deleted member 39241

Hi Bill. good luck.
There used to be a MCE reset utility, I haven't used it for ages, but might be worth a google?
Failing that, when you go to scan for channels, there should be an option to delete all channels, then you re-scan from scratch.

A £3k shuttle? Crikey, must be a cracker!

EDIT: Here is a link (not used these myself)
http://www.salloway.org.uk/MediaCenter/util/

markxtc123

I assume that the 3 grand includes the screen and is not just the cost of the PC? If it is the cost for the PC what spec is it and where did you have it gold plated?

Seriously though the AverMedia USB plug in tuner costs about 60 quid and the BlackGold pci card about 70. Not much of an addition to your 3 grand layout to get a twin tuner system working.

Mark.

bill_lamb

Standard Member
thanks again, yep the 3k included monitor, i spent 1.9k on a sharp zx2000, which is fantastic - albeit a little noisy. i then spent about 800-900 quid on my shuttle, which is quiet, fast and a little beauty.

i'm on my 4th. reboot now, each time i re-scan it gets stuck (forcing the reboot) or it doesn't find any channels .. i'm not prompted to delete channels, but i think i did when desperate a couple of days ago, causing my problems now -- i can see 61 channels in the area of mce re: channel configuration, edit channels etc .. should I have these 61 items checked on or off ?

ta, Bill

markxtc123

deleted member said:
Hi Bill. good luck.
There used to be a MCE reset utility, I haven't used it for ages, but might be worth a google?
Failing that, when you go to scan for channels, there should be an option to delete all channels, then you re-scan from scratch.

A £3k shuttle? Crikey, must be a cracker!

EDIT: Here is a link (not used these myself)
http://www.salloway.org.uk/MediaCenter/util/

Lisa, once again I fall at your feet in adoration. I have been searching for an application that would let me change the card priority on my system for ages.

As the AverMedia comes before the Genesis driver MCE would always use the AM tuner in preference to the BlackGold card. I think the quality from the BG card is better and have wanted to swap the card priority for ages.

Since using the applicaiton at the end of your link the system uses the BG card for watching TV in preference to the AM tuner and uses the BG card for recording by default. I only watch via the AM tuner whent he BG tuner is busy recording something.

Once again thank you!

Mark

nigelbb

Distinguished Member
markxtc123 said:
As the AverMedia comes before the Genesis driver MCE would always use the AM tuner in preference to the BlackGold card. I think the quality from the BG card is better and have wanted to swap the card priority for ages.
As both cards record the broadcast MPEG2 stream direct to disk there should be no difference in quality between the two.

D

Deleted member 39241

nigelbb said:
As both cards record the broadcast MPEG2 stream direct to disk there should be no difference in quality between the two.
Whatever! More of the adoration.... :thumbsup:

markxtc123

nigelbb said:

Maybe it's subjective, maybe it's because one is a pci card and one is usb tuner. All I can say is that, particularly on fast sideways panning, the picture is better with the BlackGold card than it is with the AverMedia usb tuner.

Just my opinion though.

Mark

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom