1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MCE/ laptop/ digisender

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by Northern Monkey, May 11, 2005.

1. Northern Monkey

Northern Monkey
    Standard Member

Oct 22, 2004
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Hi everyone

I am currently in the market for a new laptop the primary functions of which will be to connect to my Panasonic PW7 via the VGA and then

1.)using existing wireless network and wireless keyboard/ mouse surf the interweb on the plasma from the comfort of sofa;

2.)playback music files from laptop via Pioneer VSX c402 AV receiver

3.)observe junior whilst watching telly using existing wireless IP camera and P-i-P functionallity.

That is all straightforward but having been idling through some of the threads in this forum it got me thinking whether whilst I'm at it more could be achieved by having some media centre functionality. I am alas ignorant on this latter topic- would I be able to somehow input my NTL box (or even the output from the AV receiver) into a suitable laptop?

I noticed something by Pinnacle that converts laptop to MCe - is this what I need?

Finally I would like to send the whole lot to the LCD upstairs using the PC to video digisender referred to in one of Lisa G's threads thereby amongst other things being able to access the cable fromn the bedroom. The blurb for the digisender mentions that it needs to be connected "in line" with PC and monitor- will the fact that laptop will be rigged up to Plasma VGA hamper this?

Finally to make it more difficult for any significant items (ie gretaer than say £60ish) in my £1,000 budget I am restricted to PC-World.

Has anyone achieved something similar?

Comments/ suggestions very gratefully received.