1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MCE in windowed mode. Resize problems.

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by wiinter, Jun 27, 2005.

1. wiinter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Short question:
    How can I make MCE remember to stay in windowed mode AND expand to 1280x720?

Long story:
    I've been searching for 12 hours solid, and I can't seem to find a way to make MCE display, in windowed mode, at 1280x720. As with many people, I have two displays - one of which being a 1280x720 projector - the other an LCD monitor. I found that using MCE in windowed mode is more convenient when wanting to multi-task. In fact, it's awesome when in windowed mode - the video has no problems continuing to play while a user is using the other monitor.

But, as you may know, a couple problems you will face when running MCE in windowed mode is that you’re locked at the 4:3 ratio, and even if you start the ‘eshell.exe /widescreen’, you still cannot resize the window to 1280x720.

So, with that, I downloaded a “Window Manager” that will automatically force the MCE window to 1288x728, and sets the x&y positions to negative 4. What this effectively does is place the MCE window with the borders out of sight. I thought I hit the jackpot.. I’d just create a .bat file to run eshell.exe, then, after a short delay, I run the 3rd party app that forces the window size/position. All was well, until I realized that the buttons on the remote: MyVideo, MyMusic, etc.. seemed to make MCE forget that it was in windowed mode (if the buttons were pressed when the app was closed) – and not only does it run fullscreen, but I wouldn’t even know how to make the command also initiate the resizing/positioning. So I’m back to square #1.

Question is: Do you know how I can hard-code or lock MCE to be in windowed mode, and also give it a window size as well as position? Keep in mind, launching the eShell.exe (from shortcut/startup) seems different than pressing the remote commands… I’m not sure exactly what it does with the IR commands (access a resource, e.g., dll, that has some unmodifiable functions that tells MCE what to do??).

There doesn’t seem to be any utilities or plugins that will help me with what I want to do – I’m considering downloading the SDK and seeing if I can figure something out, but I really don’t think I’m capable of something like that.

Let me know if you have any ideas!