1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mce Guide Missing ITV

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by markxtc123, Sep 7, 2005.

1. markxtc123

markxtc123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi,

I just noticed that the guide is not showing any information for ITV1 or ITV2. I've tried reloading the guide and it still the same.

I have just moved locations from London to Newcastle and did a full set up for the TV and guide. Is it just that the north of England thinks ITV is for wimps?

Anyone else seeing this?

Regards.

2. monopole

monopole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I lost most of my guide entries yesterday too. I put them all back in and as I was saving, MCE crashed. Had to do it all over again, very annoying. I hope this is fixed in rollup 2 which is about to be released by microsoft.

3. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +367
    Me too - I had to reassociate them three times before they would stick, have not checked today, but wouldn't suprise me if they are all gone again. Very annoying :mad:

lisa

4. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +367
    I am having a nightmare... tried to re-associate the guide listings to channels about five times, and they will not stick - am having to re-set up my tv signal... :thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

5. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    Poor you, I now for a fact that it's listed on microsfts website that there are problems with getting guide data for ITV and possibly one more channel...

6. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +367
    When I do a scan for services I get hits on five different transmitters, so I have tried a different one - less channels but I am only missing rubbish ones... wonder how this will work out. Do other people get choices on which transmitter to use?

lisa

7. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    Yes everyone does, you have to choose the closest one to you, and don't ask how you find out, i'm not sure myself, I choose Crystal Palace, Like a lot of other people in and around London, but Bluebay Hill also works good for me.., the thing is Lisa, when you hit Scan for services, it usually never picks up all channels so just after it's done, hit "Scan for MORE Services" and it should pick up all the other channels, works for me....

8. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +367
    OK, thanks will try that - I was on Crystal Palace, but Bluebell Hill and Sudbury are quite close so I may give them a go and see if it makes any difference with the guide losing listings thing.
    lisa

9. sniff

sniff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I assume you've all got freeview or some other aerial connection right? And when it scans for channels, ITV2 simply doesn't have enough strength to register.

Surely though, if you're connecting to the internet for this information, (like when you have Sky through s-video), there is no need to scan for channels? If you're entering your post code, and selecting "Sky, South West" (or whatever) and then it connects to the internet for the EPG data, why scan for channels.

How on earth can the remote internet EPG server be wrong, except for the reason of someone not bothering to update it?

Sorry to be down on this, but adding the channels manually doesn't really help, as when you do the next EPG update, there is "No Data Available". What good is that?

Am I completely missing something? I fail to see how - bar laziness on updating the remote EPG server - channels and program data can be missing from the guide.

Is this new update (Emerald is it?) going to fix this?

Again apologies for sounding a little pessimistic, I'm a programmer, and I'm pretty sure I would be sacked if I was this incompetent/lazy, I don't see why others are not [toys now fully out of the pram]

10. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    It connects to the internet to get the Guide TV listings. but you have to scan for services just like on a normal TV to detect which channels you can recieve via arial...

11. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +490
    DVB-T is handled differently to Sky from an external Set Top Box. You are only presented with those channels that it has tuned to thus avoiding the situation you have with Sky where you have programme listings for channels to which you do not have a subscription & thus cannot view. The idea is fine in principle but scanning for channels, losing them & screw-ups with the EPG have been a feature of MCE in the UK since the first beta days of MCE 2004.

12. sniff

sniff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    and

Blimey! I sympathize!

So my point about channels missing from a Sky lineup is someone being lazy and not issuing the updates is valid.

That's very very poor. If we're moving to a digital home, you'd hope they would sort the basics. But if that has been like since 2004, my chances of getting ALL the sky channels in the MCE EPG is about zero!

Thanks for the answers
    Sniff
    -- definitely going with Sky+ in the future (unless someone can think of an awesome reason not to) --

13. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +490
  14. Slinkoff

Slinkoff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    You might want to hang fire a bit as there's talk at Sky of giving every Sky subscriber Sky+ for free... http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds23613.html

Might not materialize but at any rate, you'll probably want to hang on and get a nice new HD Sky box when they appear next year and they'll have Sky+ built in. Will be pricey though.

15. sniff

sniff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I just went through channels 101-133 on the Sky EPG comparing it to the MCE Guide, and am absolutely astounded at how poor the MCE EPG is.

I just sent the above URL this report:

Imagine how many faults I would find if I went through all the channels! :eek:

Does anyone else have similar problems? Perhaps it's just the dodgy "Sky Digital BBC West/ITV West" region. I might try a different post code?

I'm certainly going to spam microsoft daily until they fix this :devil:

16. markxtc123

markxtc123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Well I'm pleased to say I have my guide listing working properly again. I think the guide was getting confused between ITV and "ITV Tyne Tees". Once I re-associated the channel and the guide it was all ok again!

17. windfall

windfall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Hi Guys
    Having read this post I checked mine and wo and behold ITV1 and ITV2 are now missing! How do you re-associate the channels and the guide? I did a search for new services but it found no new ones. I am using the Wintv MCE Freeview decoder.

Does this only affect MCE or does it affect the standard STB's for freeview as well?

Thanks
    Tone

18. Duggy

Duggy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Settings > TV > Guide > Add listings to channel

19. windfall

windfall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Thanks!

However! I have cleared the channels and now I cannot get more then 22 channels on my WintV DVB card.
    I am now missing all the stations, I have scanned all the different transmitters and no more then the mentioned 22 stations have been received.
    Has anyone else found this, please let me know how you got around it?

Thanks

Tone

20. monopole

monopole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lost the damn guide again today. This time I had to go through the whole TV setup routine again... I was thinking of MCE for my parents, but at this rate, there's no chance they'd put up with the constant fiddling that's required just to keep the guide up to date.