1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MCE FAQ (work in progress).

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by Kramer, May 19, 2005.

1. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've started work on a FAQ & ask members to add any useful information/tweaks/links to this thread.

The information will be added to this post & hopefully will become a useful resource for all.

Forcing MCE to retain 50Hz refresh rate.
    MCE Extenders.

Thanks in advance :smashin:

2. Werner

Werner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll start :)

Which tuner card should I get? Analogue or digital?

Your choice of tuner cards depends on the source you want to feed into your MCE machine.
    If the source is any sort of cable box, satellite receiver or freeview decoder then you would need an ANALOGUE card. You will also need an analogue card if you intend to use your MCE machine for viewing/recording the normal 5 terrestrial channels

If you are in an area capable of receiving freeview, and wish to receive freeview via your MCE machine directly without the use of a seperate freeview decoder box, then you would need a DIGITAL card (also known as a DVB-T card). This is the only scenario when you would use a digital card with MCE.

To summarise, if you have Sky digital, Ntl (analogue or digital), Telewest (analogue or digital) or a standalone freeview decode and you wish to use these with MCE you have to buy an ANALOGUE card. If you want to plug an aerial directly into the mce machine (and are not in a freeview capable area) you will also need an analogue card.

You ONLY need a digital/DVB-T card if you wish to plug the aerial directly into the MCE machine to receive freeview channels and are not using any form of set top box whatsoever

Can I watch top-up-tv via MCE?
    If you have a dvb-t card, no. These cards do not have any slots to place your viewing/subscriber card in, so they do not work with top-up-tv
    If you have an analogue card, and a seperate freeview decoder with a top-up-tv card slot connected to it, then yes, you can use that combination to view top-up-tv via MCE

Can I have an two analogue or two digital cards so that I can watch one thing and record another?

Yes, but you cannot mix and match the two. Either two digital, or two analogue. You cannot have an analogue and a digital card simultaneously to watch e.g. sky digital via the analogue card and a freeview channel via the digital card.

If I have two analogue cards, can I record e.g. sky/ntl/telewest and use the other card to watch a normal terrestrial channel via the aerial?

No, MCE 2005 only supports one source of guide data, and because of this limitaiton both cards must be connected to the same type of source. For dual analogue, that will mean 2 of either of the following (remember, no mixing and matching) : rooftop aerial, sky box, ntl box, telewest box, freeview box. Of course, if you have two sky/ntl/telewest/freeview boxes hooked up to your two analogue tuners, you can watch/record one premium channel and watch a standard BBC channel via the other sky/ntl/telewest/freeview box.

What connectors can I use to interface between my external sky/ntl/telewest/freeview box and my ANALOGUE cards?

You may use the standard rf input (aerial lead), or you may use a scart-->composite convertor. Most of the external boxes output rgb as well as composite. rgb cannot be used directly, so the common denominator is the composite connection. This is a yellow colour coded round rca jack. SOME sky/sky+ boxes can output svideo, if yours can then that will improve the picture quality of your captures. If you use a scart-->svideo adapter into the analogue tv tuner on the MCE machine and the resulting picture is in black and white then it means your box does not support outputting svideo through the scart connector, and you would need to use composite instead.

You can purchase 3rd party rgb scart to svideo adapters if necessary

What connections should I use between my mce machine and the tv?
    In terms of quality (highest to lowest):
    dvi
    vga
    rgb
    svideo
    composite
    You will need to find a common connector between your tv and your mce machine which is the highest on the list, and run the correct cables for this. (rgb is a special case and would require external circuitry). Once again, if you use an svideo connector on the pc, and plug it into an svideo-->scart adapter on the tv end, and the picture is in black and white it means either the tv format oupt via the graphics card is pal instead of ntsc, or else the tv doesnt support svideo over a scart socket, and you would need to fallback to composite instead.

When using an analogue card with an external sky/ntl/telewest/freeview decoder, I am having troubles changing channels using the supplied ir blaster....

Certain NTl and telwest boxes manafactured by pace only listen to a system called irda. MCE machines all use cir for the irblaster output. www.redremote.co.uk sell a translator for about £30 as well as list full instructions on how to identify your box and set up the translator. If your box isnt on the known list of "problem" types, then more than likely you have positioned the irblaster incorrectly. A centimetre can make all the difference. The irblaster should be placed directly over the ir receiver on the external box. Try moving it left or right in small increments and try changin channels to see if it improves. You can also shine a torch into the ir lens on the front of your box to try see if you can find the ir receiver, and then place the irblaster nearest to that location.

3. stuartmc

stuartmc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another questions often asked is what onboard graphics works with MCE. This is especially important if you trying to use one of the many slim and SFF media center cases now available.

We have tested the following and they work with MCE 2005 and the Nvidia DVD decoder. They are not on the Microsoft approved list but we have been very happy with the performance. You will need to make sure you have the latest drivers from the chipset manufacturer as often the motherboard manufacturers drivers are not the latest version.

Intel i915G sometimes called the Intel GMA900 for Intel 775 CPUs
    Intel i915GM sometimes called the Intel GMA900 for Intel 479 mobile CPUs
    ATI IGP9100Pro (based on the 9200 core) for Intel 478 CPUs
    ATI Radeon Express 200G (based on X300 SE core) currently just AMD64 939 CPUs but expected to move to AMD754 and a version for Intel 775 soon.

If anyone has VIA, SIS or Nvidia based working please add to this list

4. stuartmc

stuartmc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Next from me are the links I've found to be most useful.

Microsoft's MCE site http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/mediacenter/default.mspx

The Green Button http://www.thegreenbutton.com/

Direct link to Green Button Most Helpful Threads http://www.thegreenbutton.com/community/shwmessage.aspx?ForumID=41&MessageID=107242

AVS Forums MCE (US Centric) http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?forumid=26

Chris Laniers MCE Blog http://www.msmvps.com/chrisl/

Home Theater PC News http://www.htpcnews.com/

Ian Dixon's Media Center Podcast http://www.thepodcastnetwork.com/mediacenter/

Windows MCE Portal http://www.xpmce.com/

MCE Plug-ins http://www.mcesoft.nl

Microsoft's "Designed for MCE" partner listings http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/mediacenter/partners/dfw/partnerlisting.mspx

Mark Salloway's Blog http://www.salloway.org.uk/mceblog/default.aspx

I am sure there are more that others have found useful.

5. monopole

monopole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sometimes the MCE remote controls gets itself into a funny state:

a) Press the same button twice in a row and only the first press registers - you have to press another button before the first button will work again.

b) Remote appears dead.

This happens because a microcontroler inside the remote gets its knickers in a twist, so you have to reset it. This can be done by removing the batteries for a long period (overnight), then putting them back in again. Or, you can remove the batteries and then use a paperclip to 'short' the battery terminals (i'm not sure which pair of terminals require shorting, I did both), then put the batteries back in. Your remote should be working again.

6. monopole

monopole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The EPG has to be configured manually. i.e. under the guide settings, you have to select a channel then select which guide entry should be associated with that channel - a long winded affair. Unfortunately, the guide seems to lose its settings from time to time (possibly when a new channel is added to or removed from the freeview lineup) and you have to go through the process again. This usually happens when you've gone away for the weekend and discover that all your planned recordings never happened.

Thus MCE is currently unreliable for use as a PVR with Freeview. Use the software that came with your TV card instead.

7. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
  8. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    6 months later, and this seems to be fixed.
    Newly built MCE with DVB-T USB card, and the channel listings set themselves up automatically, and have not had the tv guide lose its listings since roll up 2.

9. jschoorl

jschoorl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It seems digital recording (dvb-C, S or T) can be working in MCE with FireDTV with using a Cam and CI card

10. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    Registry Hacks to allow PC to enter and exit S3 standby via the MCE remote:

KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE SYSTEM CurrentControlSet Services usb
    "USBBIOSHACKS"=dword:00000000
    "USBBIOSx"=dword:00000000
    Once these are added, reboot your PC (also make sure your Bios setting is for S3 suspend) and then try a suspend. Your fans should turn completely OFF.

11. JonMace

JonMace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +202
  12. tmattoneill

tmattoneill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay, I've spent the last few days poking around trying to figure out what I need to get my Telewest Digital box to work with my media pc.

I've gathered the following:
    - I need an analogue card for the computer
    - Something called an IR Blaster sticks to the front of my Telewest box to communicate channel changes to the box
    - There is software bundled on the DVD/CD that ships with my decoder card
    - These decoder cards do not have Video Out

I'm using a mirco-ATX motherboard in a Shuttle PC. I have NO free PCI slots It's PCI only; no PCIe).

I have several questions that I haven't been able to find answers to:

1) Are there cards that support both analogue decoding functionality and video out? I remember something called an ATI All In Wonder card that I think did this but I can't find one.

2) If I can't find a combined card, I see that there are USB models out there (http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/products/data_pvrusb2mcekit.html). What are the pros (no use of precious PCI slots; no opening PC) and cons of this? Is it discouraged to use a USB solution as a decoder?

3) So, if I am just taking a coax cable out the back of my Telewest box (I assume from the node that says "TV" on it as that's the only output I have back there) and plugging it into something on my computer, where will the channel and programming information come from? Is that passed through the coax cable? How will the computer know that I want to record the Daily Show every day at 8:30 PM on More4? I can't for the life of me figure this out.

4) Do I need the Microsoft remote or can I use a remote that ships with my decoder? Are there pros/cons of either?

5) I have MCE2005 installed and running. How much 3rd party software am I going to need to make this thing functional?

6) Does my signal degrade going from coax?

7) How do I determine what make my Telewest box is so I know if I have to do all this crap with the IR blast?

8) Is the RS232 (or whatever that thing that looks like a VGA connector) on the back of the Telewest box good for anything?

Thanks and sorry. This is new stuff for me.

Matt

13. JonMace

JonMace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +202
    Probably should have started your own thread rather than putting it on the sticky, But I will do my best to answer.

1) Not that I am aware of that are compatable with MCE

2) The USB decoders (I think you mean tuners by this) are all for Digital Terestial, as you are going to be recording from a STB you will need a analogue tuner

3) Best not to use the coax to connect either go down the SVideo route or compersite. But yes once you have told MCE that you want to record a programme at a certain time on a certain channel, it will change channel at that time and start recording.

4) You do need the MCE remote, it also comes with the IR blasters

5) Just DVD playing software PowerDVD or such like

6) Answered in 3

7) It should say on the box, otherwise turn it upside down and there should be a label

8) No

14. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
  15. paulpenny

paulpenny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The short answer is no not in MCE at the moment.

It is possible to get Sky on your PC with a DVB-S card if you have a card with a Common Interface (CI) and you have a Dragoncam Conditional Access (CA) module AND a LEGITIMATE Sky subscription card.

DVB-S cards can be used in MCE with drivers that pretend that they are digital terrestrial (DVB-T) cards but I don't believe that they work with CI modules at the moment.

I have read that Technotrend have a clunky workaround that involves manually running a CI program from with in My Programs but I don't know whether this does actually work.

So at the moment the best you can do is to receive the Free to Air Satellite channels. Details of how to do this can be found on this thread:

http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=5457&page=1

16. paulpenny

paulpenny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I wanted to disable the Radio menu button as I don't have FM connected on my PC.

I found this program which allowed me to do this.

http://www.mcedev.com/Default.aspx

I was a little confused at first because it appears as an entry in the start menu itself when installed. I had expected it to be under More Programs. So I made the changes I wanted (unchecked the My Radio button and stopped MCE forcing the 60Hz refresh rate) and then uninstalled the program. The changes stayed in place.

17. tuxman

tuxman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi there matt in answer to your question #1 i also have a shuttle and i'm using an ati tv wonder card for my tv in. it has both coax and composite in

18. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Probably best to edit this now, Nebula do a card slot add-on for their cards now so you can watch top-up TV on a internal card, although why you'd want to I don't know.:confused:

19. Andy98765

Andy98765

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,335
    The site quoted below helped me no end in getting a problem sorted in MCE, it really is an excellent site for sorting known issues..

The issue I had is that MCE would not recognise my TV card, it is a known problem but by running a script post on this site all was sorted.

http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/articles/487537.aspx

20. derrickpetr

derrickpetr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Samsung SMT-2100C STB, Sony VGX-XL100 Media Centre and Phillips HD TV

My Sony VGX-XL100 Media Centre has a Avermedia Hybrid Analog & DVB-T PCI Card. I’m not interested in the DVB-T (Freeview component – no aerial). The Samsung STB has a Scart and co-axe out only. If I use a Scart to composite connector will this degrade the signal (out of the Sony) to my Phillips HD TV which uses a DVI cable?

Any suggestions how I can improve the picture quality?

21. Ratters

Ratters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All...

A few questions to help me get on board, I've been reading up on the MCE etc but I think I may not have the kit required...

1. I have XP Pro (no MCE), can I purchase/download an MCE addon so I can have the full features of MCE ? or will I have to re-purchase XP pro with MCE for my system ?

2. I have a Pinnacle Showcenter 1000g - can this be used as an MCE extender with MCE ? - A've been surfin but cant seem to find out if they can be linked via the MCE.

3. I have a V-Stream USB2 DVB-T digi terestrial decoder, (KWorld), is this compatiable wiff MCE ?

These might seem like easy questions to you, but I'm a bit bewildered up til now, please help :lease: :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance

Ratters

22. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    You'll have to repurchase it, mainly as its only available as an OEM licence and only "available" for new computers. You won't be able to upgrade XP Pro to MCE either, you'll need to install it as a new OS.

I'm 99.9% sure you can't, the Showcenter uses its own software and that doesn't plug into MCE.

Don't know.

23. Ratters

Ratters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks BrianC, your help is appreciated :)

Looks like I'm stuck now :( maybes at least til i upgrade my PC

cheers

Ratters

24. Cyril

Cyril

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Yes, going from RGB Scart to composite will degrade your quality a lot.
    For NTL and Telewest STBs, a TiVo is a better bet as it records RGB, unless you can find an RGB capture card for the Sony XL-100 that works with MCE (not cheap I imagine).

I only use my Sony XL-100 for Freeview.
    I use TiVo for SkyHD, Sky and Homechoice as it records RGB.

25. jc73

jc73
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I decided to put together this post before I found the MCE FAQ sticky thread :( and after spending hours researching in lots of different forums on the issues around Media Center (MCE) and High Definition (HD) television broadcasts.

There are lots of good articles and posts around, so this is more collective wisdom than original thought, but I was frustrated that there was no-where this was all brought together (no doubt someone will correct me if I am wrong in this – but I couldn’t find it).

Apologies for the long post… and hope this helps. I’ve tried not to repeat what was posted above too much.

The rise of HD
    There has been a lot of commotion about the arrival of HD television in the UK, debate about the next generation DVD format and marketing spend on ‘HD Ready’ televisions. There is already plenty of good information about what ‘HD Ready’ means and which televisions are and aren’t HD Ready. See: http://www.hdready.org.uk/.

There are basically three components to watching protected HD TV through MCE:
    1. Getting a (good quality) digital HD broadcast signal into MCE’s TV card.
    2. The MCE must be a trusted device.
    3. Having a graphics card that can output a protected HD signal

I’ll deal with each of these three components in turn, but a quick description of what I mean by ‘protected’ first:

Protected HD content requires the use of HDCP (High Definition Copy Protection – the acronym to describe the method for protecting HD content that provides for the ‘handshaking’ between output and receiving devices). There is a good explanation of HDCP with diagrams here: http://www.htpcnews.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=23416.

I am not aware of any ‘protected’ HD content being broadcast or available at the moment and I understand from other posts that even when Blu-Ray and HD DVDs start appearing, they will not be content protected (ie; not require HDCP) until at least 2010 (see: http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?t=230347). So – to get unprotected content to play on MCE, we should currently be able to ignore step 2.

Getting HD broadcasts into MCE
    Firstly, its worth noting that aside from some limited HD broadcasts by Sky (satellite) and Telewest/NTL (cable) and a limited Freeview (terrestrial) trial by the BBC in London, there is no broadcast HD television in the UK at the moment. So, much of the commotion about HD is basically ‘froth’ aimed at selling new TVs. This was especially the case before the World Cup. In the USA, HD broadcasts are readily available.

I am not going to cover other ways of getting HD content into MCE (ie; Blu-Ray or HD DVD drives – if they were available and supported in MCE or downloaded HD content) as that kind of misses one of the main points of MCE for me – to act as a PVR for broadcast television.

MCE 2005 accepts two types of TV card (1) digital or (2) analogue. Although MCE allows up to two TV cards, it is not possible to have both digital and analogue set up (for a reason I don’t understand). See: http://thegreenbutton.com/forums/thread/111923.aspx. Also, MCE is very fussy about the cards that can be installed (see: http://thegreenbutton.com/forums/thread/11463.aspx).

Here comes the crazy bit. To get your satellite or cable signal into your MCE, you need to buy an analogue card. This is because these broadcasters do not provide any form of digital output (even though it is a digital device) on their set top boxes and you need to take an SCART/s-video or composite output. This is a real shame as every time you convert digital to analogue you lose some picture quality. See this good post: http://www.microsoft.com/communitie...&tid=d7227dd8-d97a-4cec-bd7b-773fd7d60ca2&p=1

To add to the woe, Microsoft says for MCE 2005 they only support digital TV in the USA and only for over the air transmissions (see: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/mce/expert/hdtv.mspx). I believe that it is possible to get Freeview into MCE in the UK using a digital TV tuner card (but not in HD) - but I don't have Freeview.

In addition, although it is possible in theory to buy a PCI card for your MCE that includes a CAM card reader (to read the kind of card that goes in your set top box that allows the signal to be decrypted), MCE 2005 doesn’t support them at all. In the USA, this initiative is called ‘cableCARD’ or ‘OCUR’.

I understand that MCE Vista will support these cards (see: http://thomashawk.com/2005/11/hot-donkey-premium-cablecard-hdtv-in.html) and video card manufacturers are starting to catch on. See this press release for info on ATI’s proposed card: http://ir.ati.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=105421&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=800664&highlight.

Matt Goyer (one of Microsoft’s Windows Media Center programme managers) has an interesting blog that has some more info on Microsoft’s plans in Vista (see: Thoughts on MCE beta feedback and the follow up here: Wow, lots of interest in MCE on Windows Vista. Although it seems Digital Cable Tuner (aka OCCUR or cableCARD – confused yet?) support will be added in MCE Vista, there is no information about that or a date for when info will be available and whether that will help us in the UK (probably not). Also, the statement that Vista will not support DVB-S (satellite = Sky), DVB-S2 (satellite = Sky HD) or DVB-C (cable = Telewest/NTL) seems to cut across this.

I had a really helpful reply to a post about this from John Lockwood on Microsoft’s Discussion Groups (http://www.microsoft.com/communitie...px?dg=microsoft.public.uk.windows.mediacenter) that is worth repeating here (thanks John):

- - - - -

“Telewest are using MPEG2 [currently] over DVB-C. While [obviously] MCE supports MPEG2 it does not support DVB-C in MCE 2005 or even MCE Vista.
    Sky are using MPEG4 AVC (aka. MPEG4 H.264) over DVB-S2. MCE 2005 (and MCE Vista) do not support either MPEG4 or DVB-S2 or even DVB-S.

The BBC are currently running a limited trial on "Freeview" of HD transmissions on just one transmitter (the Crystal Palace transmitter). This is using MPEG4 AVC over DVB-T. While MCE 2005 and MCE Vista support DVB-T they (as indicated above) do not support MPEG4 for live TV.

The BBC are also currently transmitting in HD on Sky, this is using MPEG4 AVC over DVB-S. Again as previously indicated, MCE 2005 and MCE Vista do not support DVB-S.

In short, currently it is IMPOSSIBLE to get any HD transmissions in the UK using MCE 2005 or MCE Vista. It is possible using different software e.g. MediaPortal (for Windows) or EyeTV (for Mac) to get many of these.

This problem is all due to the current pathetic support by Microsoft for TV standard used by most of the world (excluding the USA).

There is now a small glimmer of hope. At WinHec 2006 in June this year
    Microsoft showed this PowerPoint file http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/b/9/5b97017b-e28a-4bae-ba48-174cf47d23cd/MED076a_WH06.ppt which shows they at least now realise their international support sucks. However don't hold your breath waiting for them to deliver.”

- - - - -

There is a hack for Sky that involves tricking MCE 2005 that the DVB-S card is a DVB-T card (see: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=319927), but I don’t think there is an equivalent method for cable.

On top of all of this, the satellite and cable companies do not support the DVB cards either (see this interview with Telewest’s head of TV strategy: http://lifestyle.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=5670). They want you to buy their own PVR devices and although it should be possible to connect these boxes to a TV card with a HDMI port, I am not aware of any TV cards with this capability and you would need to pay the extra to subscribe to their HD service and get another PVR as well as your MCE.

So, there is currently no way ‘official’ to get HD content into MCE 2005 or Vista. Balls. :thumbsdow

MCE as a trusted device
    This is to do with the encrypted nature of protected HD content – basically the operating system (Windows) must not allow you to make unauthorised copies of protected content.

I’ve not dug around on this much after I got so disheartened on the lack of HD inputs. However, MCE Vista should be ‘trusted’ thanks to the digital rights management technology built into Vista. See the following article at PC Stats: http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1871.

MCE 2005 is not trusted as there is no built in way of protecting the HD content once it has been received. So, although MCE 2005 could handle HD content (in theory – if you could get the broadcast into it), it could not handle protected HD content (ie; content with HDCP).

Getting HD content out of MCE

Fortunately the picture here is less bleak than on the ‘input’ side – but there are still gotcha’s.

To display HD content, your MCE graphics card needs to support HDMI or DVI connectivity and, depending on the television, HDCP. These are starting to appear (for example see: http://www.hdtvuk.tv/2006/07/powercolor_x160.html). Some televisions will not even display a picture if the card does not support HDCP and obviously you need a HD Ready television. You also need to be careful about the cables as to receive full 1080i signals if that applies to you as there is apparently a different cable required…

There are a lot of posts around about display problems with MCE and HD televisions, mainly due to lack of HDCP (see: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214489&highlight=mce+hdcp for one example) and poor 1:1 pixel mapping (see: http://iandixon.co.uk/cs/forums/1479/ShowThread.aspx). Some televisions only accept PC input into a VGA port (which obviously doesn’t have HDCP) or with some tweaking/hacking of screen resolutions and drivers etc. Just search this forum for information about your TV and MCE. You may need to use a tweaking program called Powerstrip (Guide here: http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/powerstrip.html).

In particular, people with older graphics cards with a DVI output should research carefully as card manufacturers seem to have been liberal with the truth when they advertised them as ‘HDCP compliant’. What they meant was ‘has a HD type connection’ and not that it is necessarily HDCP compatible. See: http://www.audioholics.com/news/editorials/HDCPvideocardsHTPCs.php

Also, the older ATI (97xx) cards have come in for a particularly rough ride and if you have one of these you should read up everything carefully as you might need to change your card before you can play any HD content.

Suffice it to say that your graphics card and television need to get along.

Edit - 25 August
    Matt Goyer has added a post to his blog explaining the future direction and challenges for Microsoft and MCE in terms of DVB-x formats and even suggests using a different media center product (not that would be any use until cable and satellite companies actually allow you to do this :rolleyes: ). See: http://mediacenter.mattgoyer.com/archives/2006/07/31/1165

I hope this roundup is helpful to someone/anyone.

Cheers

John

26. Squid267

Squid267

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I was wondering if this Graphics Card is compatible with MCE.
    Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller

I have posted a thread but no one has replyed:(

27. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    No. As I replied in the other thread. You need DX9 in hardware so minimum of Nvidia FX5200

28. Squid267

Squid267

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You think a Radeon X1950 XTX will work?

29. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    That's overkill for an MCE system but yes, it will work.

30. bruachdubh

bruachdubh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a problem with recording a 4 hour programme onto multiple DVD's through media center. In the past I've happily recorded the usual length of TV programme (30 mins or an hour or so) onto media center and then onto DVD. I recorded a 4 and a half hour sports programme recently though, and when I try to burn it onto DVD it won't let me. Apparently it should offer me the option to burn onto multiple discs, but it doesn't. It just asks me if I want to reduce the file size, to which I say yes, and then it won't do it anyway! I'm stumped!