• Welcome to AVForums running Xenforo 2.2. The upgrade from 2.1 was successful and finished in just 90 minutes, well before 8am. The most notable changes in 2.2 are listed in this post.

MCE Connection to CRT TV Help!?

Rinko

Standard Member
Hi guys - total newbie to the AV world, PC's have always been in my blood though. Apologies if this is posted in the wrong section (mods please move if appropriate).

I've finally got around to upgrading my desktop pc, so am migrating the current rig to media centre duties (Vista Ultimate). This will be connected to my Windows Home Server which stores a number of my DVD's, DivX/XViD's and MP3's.

At present I just have a very basic 32" Sony CRT which I will be connecting to, which has a single spare scart input.

The graphics card I will be using has D-Sub, DVI and S-Video outputs and for the time being I would like to connect from one of those to the scart socket mentioned above.

However, I don't know what the best approach is going to give me the best results (if they even differ - I have no experience of PC to TV connection). I have an S-Video cable along with a phono to 3.5mm stereo cable which I was planning on connecting to a scart adapter.

Is this the best approach - or can someone suggest something better? Also - what settings at the PC side should I look at to optimise the PC for TV based playback?

Thanks in advance.

Paul.

Reggit

That sounds very similar to how I connected my machine to a 28" Sony CRT. Great picture on the media centre application, but don't expect to be able to use the desktop.

Rinko

Standard Member
That sounds very similar to how I connected my machine to a 28" Sony CRT. Great picture on the media centre application, but don't expect to be able to use the desktop.

Yeah - that's pretty much what I was expecting tbh. Not overly fussed about not being able to use the desktop - tbh as I have the main PC elsewhere and will be picking up a new laptop soon hopefully.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom