1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MCE connecting to the internet?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by jon stallard, Apr 12, 2005.

1. jon stallard

jon stallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To what extent does a MCE2005 HTPC rely on an internet connection for the program guide? Although My machine is not far off it's final resting place (which can be 6 foot under if it doesn't behave) I have yet to connect it to the internet. This is primarily because I am 'between broadband connections' and that little nasty called getting rid of your marker on your phone line by your previous ISP. I can hopefully order my new one tomorrow.

Which also begs the question of which one. I've more or less decided on BTinternet, which to be honest, is because everyone I know from the It world seems to be on it. I had quite fancied Tesco broadband too so do we need a big always on connection?

Any advice gratefully recieved,

Ta,
    Jon.

2. mrmoo

mrmoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
  3. onefivenine

onefivenine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +647
    100% - well my setup anyway - Telewest cable tv via s-video into htpc

I may be wrong - but Mediaportal (and MCE?) may be able to grab listings from a freeview decoder card via RF feed from the broadcast itself.

Somebody out there willing to confirm?

Excuse my ignorance, I've had Telewest Broadband for about 4 yrs, but what do you mean by 'marker on the phone line'?

4. Dave_M

Dave_M
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MCE2005 can only get EPG information from the web.

If you're 'always on' then you can set it to download the info during the night. With a dial-up you'd need to use the on-demand update and remember to download it once a week or so.

5. jon stallard

jon stallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies. Hopefully get sorted today.

Marker on your phone line refers to an ISP 'claiming' your phone line. In other words, no other ISP can connect their service to it unless:

A/ The existing ISP serves a notification to BT (which is about 10 days after you've managed to persuade them that you don't love them anymore and you want someone elses broadband service)

B/ You can get a MAC code and transfer seamlessly.

B? you must be joking.

Cheers,
    Jon.

6. SimonInd

SimonInd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'd always recommend freedom2surf as an ISP, 2Mbit/2GB for £14.99/month with a 1 month minimum contract. Used them for about a year, never gone down and a speed test reveals I'm getting the advertised speed ( used to be 1Mbit/s but they recently upgraded the line for free ).

Cheers

Simon

7. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Crikey that's cheap :eek:
    Oh, just checked it out and there is a download limit,
    I am with Pipex, not the cheapest but I think I have had about 3 short downtimes in two years! Customer Service pretty good too, I am getting a free upgrade to 2mb speed and I pay £33.99 per month, no limit.