MCE and Harmony 885

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by m4rky, Jan 11, 2008.

1. m4rky

m4rky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    When I get my Windows MCE 2005 machine up and running I want to be able to use my Logitech Harmony 885 remote instead of the normal MCE/Hauppauge WinTV remote

Is this possible?

If so how do I do it?

I have had a look at the web-based setup on my Harmony remote and it allows you to add a Windows Media PC (several device options are available).
    But it doesn't look as though it sets much up. Will it add all the MCE menu options for me or will I have to learn them all from the MCE/Hauppauge WinTV remote????

Thanks, Mark

2. Dunkwho

Dunkwho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I use a 655 harmony. The MCE setup that harmony provide is fine but I recall that I may have needed to add a couple of options into the LCD hotkeys. I use the MCE for all of my activities (only TV, Movies, and Music) and again I added some extra functions and reshuffled the LCD options but its pretty straight forward. The main issue that I have (and its an MCE thing) is getting it to handle switching off in all circumstances - if you're recording and you send the power command then MCE displays a prompt to shutdown ... but won't time out from there and will leave the machine on but I've just switched off my TV in the off macro. Next time I turn the system on the TV will fire, but the mce box will receive a 2nd power command and turn off :( I've frigged around to get a system that works 90% ... too much details to go into here tho (and may not be applicable to you if you don't use the macros, and\or don't go in for MCE standby between uses).

Duncan

3. Poissony

Poissony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I assume you have a problem with MCE going into standby by itself after a set period of inactivity? I attempted to do what you were doing with my Harmony but it seemed pointless since it didn't work everytime and I just let it go into standby after 10 minutes of nothing happening.

OP, I use a Harmony 885 with MCE, no problems. There is a thread or two in the Remote forum about MCE and the Harmony remotes.

4. Dunkwho

Dunkwho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I use MST and it works fine.

Why did no-body tell me !! ??? :thumbsup:

Duncan

5. m4rky

m4rky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks for the responses
    I will have a good search through the forums :)