1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MCE and Dual Output

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by dUnKle, Aug 15, 2005.

1. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,499
    Not sure if anyone can help with this - have a HCPC running WinMCE

Its got a Radeon 9800Pro car which has its DVI port connected to my Hitachi plasma and its VGA port connected to a Panny AE100E projector

I have found a good resolution which works on both devices and have managed to get an image on both screens at the same time (bear with me on that one)

However I can only get MCE to appear on one of them, be it the PJ or the Plasma - the other screen just seems to be an extended desktop

Now obviously I cant watch both at once - but want the Plasma for TV viewing and the PJ for films and want both to have MCE

Is there either (a) a way of getting both displays to show MCE at same time or (b) use the remote or very simple key press to switch between the two

Thanks very much

2. Dunkwho

Dunkwho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    ahh ... the old dual mce displays topic :) its like an old friend :) I'm in a similar boat, best I've managed so far is a powerstrip hotkey to toggle the primary between the two displays and am still using my pc keyboard to perform the trick. apparently its possible to use girder (the be all and end all of IR apps) to keep the mce IR functionality we've already got plus add\reconfigure a code to do anything else on the pc ... like fire a hotkey - but I've not reached that level yet :) I believe the ati control panel will also let you do the display toggling but I had terrible trouble with the newest ati drivers trying to run powerstrip vga-rgb to my tv AND component o/p to my pj ... at all! ultramon is another potential route for display control.

I've not found anything that'll run the mce o/p on both displays at once (despite months of looking *sob*).

Duncan

3. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    As I understand you can only have video on one monitor, but you cannot change the channels or anything onless you swtich back to that screen on your default monitor, i.e you cannot watch live tv on one screen while changing channels and surf the net on the other screen, it's impossible, oyu have to switch between screens with oyur keyboard to change channels, but on the other hand if you just want to see the same thing on two displays, there should be an option to clone the display, so what you see on one screen should be on the other, Nvidia has this option in the graphics card properties, I'm sure Ati has this to, it should be listed in the Manual or try downlaoding the Ati Hydravision multiple monitor management utility from there site, if you want a manual you can dowload it from HERE

4. scumball

scumball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +414
    Setup in clone mode not extended desktop - the resolution and refresh etc. have to be the same but it works....

5. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,499
    How do you do that - sounds ideal

6. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    If you read the manual it should tell you, I myself have flicked through it and it does go into a lot of detail about this kind of stuff, trouble is trying to understand it...., refer to my previous post...

7. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,499
    looked at previous post - read the link - nothing on how to enable clone mode that I can see

8. Dunkwho

Dunkwho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    as I understand it you can either have clone mode or extended mode - so if you switch off extended you're in clone (even tho it might not mention clone mode). basically the screen is either an extension to you desktop area, or a copy of it - can't see there being any other option ! :)

ahem ... still not sure this'll work - isn't the dvd decoder only going to render to primary only display ... irrespective of clone\extended. sure I've tried this - maybe it was the fact that my PJ shows 1024x576 in a <max viewable area setup and I'm tied to that res by my tv display ??? hmmm.

9. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,499
    switch off extend certainly does result in clone mode and so far has allowed me to have MCE on both at once - so Plasma for TV - PJ for movies

HCPC just got even better

10. scumball

scumball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +414
    On a Radeon with Catalyst just go to Display properties and on the picture with the two monitors side by side right click Monitor 2 (TV) and choose Clone mode (this may not be it precisely as I'm not near the PC with this setup - but it should get you there).

11. rdvtx

rdvtx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have a simular problem.. got a touch-screen attached to the analog output, and en FlatTV connected through DVI. Both use different resolutions. so clone mode won't do it for me.

I've found a simple solution.. a simple AutoIT script like this:

WinClose ("Media Center") ; Close Media Center
    WinWaitClose ("Media Center") ; Wait for it to close
    Send("^S") ; Press hotkey to switch displays CTRL-SHIFT-S in my case)
    Sleep(2000) ; Wait 2 secs
    Send ("#r") ; Start-Run
    WinWaitActive ("Run") ; Wait for RUN dialog box to appear
    Send ("c:\windows\ehome\ehshell.exe{Enter}") ; start Media center
    WinWaitActive ("Media Center") ; Wait for it to become active
    WinActivate ("Media Center") ; Set Focus on Media Center window

Works for me!.. :clap:
    if you copy/paste this script remove the comments behind and including the ;

With AutoIt you can compile this to .exe and then you can create a shortcut and place that in:
    Start Menu All Programs -> Accessories -> Media Center -> Media Center Programs.

That way you can switch displays from within Media Center, :) under the More programs Menu

I Don't know if ATI has the ability to define a hotkey for switching displays, but i know Nvidia does.

You can download AutoIT for free here: http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/

Hope this helps :thumbsup:

Gr.

12. ilkand

ilkand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    This looks great. Had never heard of Autoit before. Thanks :smashin:

Andy