MCE 2005 stutter on playback

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by nigel_williams, May 1, 2005.

1. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've setup a Dell 8400 (P4 3GHZ, 1Gb DDR2, 10K rpm drive,ATI X300 128Mb) with a Nova-T PCI card. I recorded episodes of Enterprise this afternoon, but when I watch them, the playback stutters every 10 seconds or so.

The hardware should handle this with ease, I've been able to playback HD samples without any problems.

Is there anything I can do to improve playback? I've found a couple of threads mentioning FFD Show, Dscaler and ReClock.... can these help?

2. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,434

nigel :hiya:

Download the K-lite codec pack from here

http://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm

This should sort your problems out.

Fddshow is very good. You should have this installed.

What refresh rate is your card (x300) set at?

3. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi, it's set to 60Hz at the moment. I ran Windowsupdate last night and there was a patch for MCE, so I'm wondering if the problem was the source itself. I've gone through most of the channels today and they play fine, only the low bitrate ones like QVC look bad (but I never watch them anyway).

I'll try a few more recordings across channels and see if the problem returns.

One odd thing I noticed is the mall "preview" window of the TV display when showing the TV guide. It's displayed as 4:3 rather than 16:9 - is there some sort of setting to change this?

Forgot to add, I'm going to start on the Cavalier 4/Athlon 64 setup soon, so the display card will switch to a 9800 Pro (with an Arctic Cooler). Bit overkill, but I'm trying to re-use hardware since the Dell 8400 is PCI-Express. Just sorting out my disks.

4. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,434

Nigel

Glad to hear the update has cured your problem. I dont know mce as I have never used it at length. Post some info and pics in the DLP Home theatre PC thread. Love to see the results. The 9800 should be fine for HTPC purposes. :D