MCE 2005 Services that can be set to Disabled.

mark.carline

Novice Member
I have been trying to ensure that my MCE 2005 PC is only running the minimum services it needs to to ensure my hard drive only spins up when it needs to (see this other thred here). I am now looking at what services on a MCE 2005 PC can be set to DISABLED.

I have found a good site here which goes though each of the XP services:
http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm

I guess it depends on your setup but my config is as follows:
- Anti Virus is AVG (I will monitor status of this so Security Centre not needed)
- Dont use the XP Firewall as I have a DLINK router with NAT & no port forwarding
- QoS on network not needed (unbound from NIC)
- I use an XBOX 360 as a media centre extender
- Basic minimum apps installed (Office 2003 / WinZip / CD Burning etc)
- Automatic updates scheduled to download & install at 3am
- WebGuide3 (inc IIS installed)

These are the services I was thinking of switching off - Anyone see anything missing / wrong:

Application Layer Gateway Service - Manual to Disabled (Same as ICS and Firewall)
ClipBook Service - Disabled from Manual
Computer Browser Service - Disabled from Automatic
DHCP Client Service - Disabled from Manual
Distributed Transaction Coordinator Service - Manual to Disabled
DNS Client Service - Automatic to Disabled
Error Reporting Service - Automatic to Disabled
Help and Support Service - Automatic to Disabled
Internet Connection - Firewall (ICF) / Sharing (ICS) Service - set to Disabled
IPSEC Services Service - Automatic to Disabled
Messenger Service - Automatic to Disabled
MS Software Shadow Copy Provider Service - Manual to Disabled
Net Logon Service - Manual to Disabled
NetMeeting Remote Desktop Sharing Service - Manual to Disabled
Network DDE Service - Manual to Disabled
Network DDE DSDM Service - Manual to Disabled
NT LM Security Support Provider Service - Manual to Disabled
Performance Logs and Alerts Service - Manual to Disabled
Portable Media Serial Number Service - Automatic to Disabled
QoS RSVP Service - Manual to Disabled
Remote Desktop Help Session Manager Service - Manual to Disabled
Remote Registry Service - Automatic to Disabled
Routing and Remote Access Service - ? to Disabled
Secondary Logon Service - Automatic to Disabled
Security Center - Automatic to Disabled

Anyone else looked into this ?

andykn

Novice Member
I'd be more tempted to leave them at manual at use the System Event Viewer to see if they start. You can then see why maybe.

If they're not needed, they shouldn't start anyway.

Is Secondary logon needed for the Xbox entender? I think that logs on as a user.

mark.carline

Novice Member
andykn said:
I'd be more tempted to leave them at manual at use the System Event Viewer to see if they start. You can then see why maybe.

If they're not needed, they shouldn't start anyway.

Is Secondary logon needed for the Xbox entender? I think that logs on as a user.
Just set my MCE PC services to the list above and retested everything and it all works fine - Including the XBOX 360.

I would sooner set them to disabled rather then manual and then I know for a fact if they are used or not.

Theres soo much rubbish that seems to get installed (services / startup folder / msconfig) thats just not needed when your want to run a minimal MCE setup. I just wish that MS would bring out a small cutdown version of MCE thats designed for set top boxes

Slinkoff

Novice Member
I've done exactly the same and although all appeared fine on the face of it I've since found that my computer won't resume from S3 standby for scheduled recordings. Not sure what service could be affecting that, if indeed the two are related, but it would be a bit of a coincidence if they weren't. I'm going to change the services back again tonight and see if it makes a difference.

Have you checked recording from S3 since you disabled these?

mark.carline

Novice Member
Slinkoff said:
I've done exactly the same and although all appeared fine on the face of it I've since found that my computer won't resume from S3 standby for scheduled recordings. Not sure what service could be affecting that, if indeed the two are related, but it would be a bit of a coincidence if they weren't. I'm going to change the services back again tonight and see if it makes a difference.

Have you checked recording from S3 since you disabled these?
I dont use S3 as I have a ViiV PC - Would be interesting to see what service is stopping the resume.