1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MCE 2005 really that good??

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by tim k, Aug 9, 2005.

1. tim k

tim k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When Microsoft released mce i was totally excited and couldnt wait to get it all setup. now about a year later with 3 viewing stations, and predominantly using the pd7200 to view with wireless keyboard/mouse i rarely use mce2005.

most of the stuff i wanna do on my pc just doesnt work with mce. for instance my 2 main things are surfing the net and gaming. both of which i can not do in mce. the only real use for mce is a base to watch dvds, or shud i say sum1 completely clueless with pcs to watch dvds. but with hd stuff like .ts files i find media player classic plays it a hell of a lot better than mce with nvidias decoder. so all in all after thinking mce would revolutionise my life i now never use it, and am quite tempted to run longhorn beta which i have on cd, although i am worried about compatability with my new games/appz.

so who else out there is really using mce, and if so why!!

2. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +918
    Remote Control, EPG, Recorded TV and scheduling, Xbox extender, My Movies plug-in, and I like the GUI..... these are the main things it has over XP for me.

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  3. HSC

HSC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164

surfing the net and gaming work just the same for me (as long as you use a quality display)

the flexibility, ease of use, kid/wife friendly GUI, multimedia server win it for me all the time.....

sure - there are always little things that can be done better on their own - but as an overall package its the best OS available....
    I also have a laptop which runs Windows Tablet PC Edition - after using that, there is no going back to a "normal & boring" laptop......

and when you refer to Windows Vista (aka Longhorn) - my understanding is that Media Centre and Tablet PC will no longer be separate versions - but fully integrated....
    or so I hear.....

4. tim k

tim k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeh theyre making a tablet vista version at the moment. im very tempted to install the beta.

u say gaming and surfing are the same in mce?? how do u browse the net in mce?? do u mean u just use the xp skin using ie as i am. then use media center for dvds etc.

5. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +907
    MCE is basically XP with MCE on top of it .
    you can come out of MCE and use it just like XP

MCE is designed for a remote control interface not a keyboard and is designed to be watched on TV from a distance so Web browsing is not its best attribute.

However i use a wireless keyboard and on a decent TV you can browse happily but obviously its not as good as at a desk 2 feet from a monitor

6. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    Basically it's an application on your computer which can be launched just as any other application on your pc.

Media Center software is basically designed as the interface between you, your set top box and tv, it alows you to schedule/record/watch live tv, watch a dvd, listen to music,...it's allows your computer to function as one big digital entertainment hub which is the key to unlcoking all your digital media...well, if you have any..., With media center installed on your PC It will make all your other devices seem obsolete, eg dvd payer/hifi, you just need a computer running media center sitting under yout tv.

7. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    The main function of MCE is to deliver all your multimedia needs through an easy to use interface, out of all the frontends ive tried (meedio etc) MCE is by far the most stable and idiot proof, not as customizable as some of the others but there are plenty of people out there working on 3rd party add ins. I originaly had a tivo box which IMO has the best menu system ive ever seen on a STB, changed to sky+ and was devastated at how crap the menu system was. I built my MCE pc mainly to get back a decent epg and search functions but its surpassed that role now and is used as the main entertainment hub in our lounge (dvd, video files, picture viewing, music live tv, recording tv, etc). If I want to play games I still have my main pc and just use the media center pc for media content (a dedicated system just for mce is best imo).

8. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +907

9. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    I use my media center pc as both my entertainment machine and work machine, sure it's better to use it as a standalone entertainment machine, But I don't have a big screen tv, so i just use my pc in my bedroom for work/games/watching tv, if you got a fast enough CPU you can do everything at one, i.e, record two tv programs in the backround while surfing the net or playing a game..., and when I do get a big screen tv in my living room i'll just buy an Extender, or an Xbox 360 with an extender built in, well this is the way Microsoft pictured it to be, anyway doesn't leaving your computer running all day, everyday rack up a big electric bil, i mean your suppose to leave your media center pc on always if you have scheduled recording, or have it in a stand by state, what do oyu guys do?

10. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +907
    I leave mine in standby state (it looks totally off, no noise, fans activity etc)
    it turns itself on to record then puts itself back in standby when the recording
    is done. I have had my MCE set up since last october and have NEVER!! missed a programme i have set to record, apart from when the prog was cancelled.

apart from the EPG the best thing for me is my Wife who is quite technophobic
    can use it with ease.

11. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    I can get my machine to wake up from standby and start recording but how do you set it to go back into standbye after the recording as finished?..., thought it could never be done..., that's the reason why I never used standbye because I thought that once the recording is done the computer would stay on and waste away the electricity...

12. starfire

starfire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    In power settings in the control panel just set a time for standby, it should then power down if its not touched.

13. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    Can you make the computer do it automtically each time a recording has finished "just like you quoted in your previous post", instead of doing it manually for every recording....

14. starfire

starfire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Sorry, don't understand you. It will automatically power down after each recording - well, mine does anyway.

15. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    then why did you tell me to enable that option in the power options in control panel?

16. starfire

starfire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I give up :rolleyes:

Just trying to help.

17. windfall

windfall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Meansizzler
    Your pc (if it supports the latest power options) should be controlled by MCE.As far as I know all PC's should go into standby after MCE has finished recording.
    On my PC the only thing you can hear is the GPU fan!

I have not changed my power management settings from the default settings and it works a treat.

Tone

18. GazH

GazH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Hi Starfire,

Does this not kick in if you are playing a DVD ?

Interested as I would like mine to shut down after recording.

Are there setting within MCE to do this (if your machine supports it) ?

Cheers

Gaz

19. starfire

starfire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Hi,

No, it only kicks in if your machine is idle.

All I did was set the setting I mentioned in control panel and my system automatically powers down when a recording finishes if its left alone. Don't think there are any settings within MCE to control this.

20. GazH

GazH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Nice one..

I was going to give this a go but was worried about it kicking in when playing DVD etc......

Gonna give it a go now

Cheers Starfire :smashin:

Gaz

21. starfire

starfire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Go for it, note that its not 100% reliable (well it is Windows!) ie. won't always power down your machine, but typically it does work OK for me.