1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MCE 2005 Music Ripping Problems

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by sted, May 4, 2005.

1. sted

sted
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've spent a good few hours ripping cd's and the Album name/tracks/cover look up seems to be very unreliable. I often put a cd in once and it finds the Album name and cover but no track names, take it out, put it in again and it finds everything. Does anyone know if there's a 'Look again' button - i haven't managed to find one.

2. hebawom

hebawom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Use Media Monkey. Its free and does what you need. (although nagivate via mouse not media remote)
    But very reliable.

3. Slinkoff

Slinkoff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I certainly wouldn't use MC as the ripper of choice. Ripping CDs is something that should be done once and properly. It takes a little bit of time to set it up just right but if you get your process right before starting you'll reap the rewards in the long run. The generally preferred software for accurate rips is EAC (Exact Audio Copy), although there are obviously alternatives.

EAC used right ensures your rips are accurate copies of your source CD. It links into freedb.org very well for it's tag info but again this is something you should take time over after you've ripped your music using something like Tag&Rename to ensure you have accurate track information. T&R has some excellent features that allow it to tap into global versions of Amazon to download track information, cover art etc. It's very user friendly and much more powerful than MC because you are in control of what it's doing. After you've got your files sorted. turn off all of MCE2005's "download media information from internet" options so that it doesn't ruin your carefully ripped and tagged music with its hugely innaccurate info.

Ideally, if you have the space, you should rip to a lossless format such as FLAC first and keep that as an archive. From that you then encode to MP3 or WMA or whatever format you like. (Best for transcoding is dBPowerAmp). The reasoning behind keeping a lossless audio format archive is that you've always got an uncompressed digital copy of your music so that whatever audio formats get developed in the future you don't have to re-rip your entire CD collection, you can just transcode from your lossless FLAC archive to the new format. If you only had MP3s you would have to transcode from one lossless format to another, which would result in even greater loss of quality. See what I mean about doing it properly and only having to do it once?

If you want to get really seemless you can incorporate MAREO into EAC. This has the end result of "put CD in drive - press one button - all data retrieved from freedb, CD ripped to WAV - WAVs encoded to FLAC - FLACs encoded to MP3 - source WAVs deleted". Seemless, easy and reliable all at the press of a single button in EAC.

All this might seem a bit daunting but there is plenty of help available. HydrogenAudio forums are a great place to start and do a Google for "EAC guide" and you'll find loads of info.

Remember, do it properly and back it up and you'll only have to do it once.

sLiNk

4. shoehorn

shoehorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Hi,
    I don't want to hi-jack the thread, but I've been using EAC and LAME (both excellent!), but can't rip the Red Hot Chilli Peppers Greatest Hits.
    Everytime I try my CD whirs and clicks, but EAC can't rip.
    I've tried holding down the CTRL key, but still the same.
    Is there a simple solution please?
    (and sorry for the "hi-jack")

5. Slinkoff

Slinkoff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    not really, some CDs just won't rip if they're scratched or damaged. I've had occasional success with Brasso, leave it on for 10mins then clean it off, that sometimes fixes the minor scratches but sounds like your CD has bigger problems than that. The only thing which has fixed dodgy CDs for me in the past is ripping from a different CD drive. Strange but I've had a couple of CDs fail on me on my usual drive but when I've put them in a different player they rip perfectly.

6. Daithi

Daithi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whenever this happens to me i just navigate away from music and then go back into music (might have to do this a few times). I've always put it down to either network conditions or busy processor, sometimes takes a little longer then usual to update the metadata. Doesn't happen to me very often though and never had to take a cd out to get it to work.