1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MCE 2005 and Philips LCD

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by ACMErubberDuck, Aug 1, 2005.

1. ACMErubberDuck

ACMErubberDuck
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am considering buying the Philips 37pf9986/12 LCD to connect to my Elonex Artisan Media Center PC. I will in the near future want to be able to use it for XBox 360 games (Or maybe PC games).

I am assuming it wil also be able to handle HD TV (Living in Ireland I may be waiing a while!).

So the question is:

Is this a good choice for a TV to last the next few years without me cursing in a few months? If not any suggestions for a 37" LCD TV? This will be on the wall in the living room so it must also look good.

Any advice would be a great help.

2. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,028
    Its not HD ready, so you might be better off looking for another set if you want futureproofing. The 9830 from philips is due soon, and thats HD ready (and there's a 37" version)

There are also HD ready 37" LCDs from Toshiba, Samsung. And the panasonic plasma is highly regarded if you aren't stuck on LCD?

3. scrowe

scrowe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    Biggest issue will be displaying the MCE2005 output via DVI at the panel's native resolution. It's either a black art or just plain not possible. However, the 1280x720 picture on the 32" version is excellent as long as you don't mind the black border picture-framing all the way around.

4. ACMErubberDuck

ACMErubberDuck
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the heads up Richard. I will wait for the 9830. Who knows when it will arrive in Ireland but for this cost I don't want to be stuck with an OK solution.

scrowe, have you seen it display on the 32" version? If yes have you seen non HD TV displayed and how does it look?

5. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I know we jest Jimmy that the 9986 is not HD ready but in reality it effectively is. It has everything that is required to make it HD ready - DVI+HDCP and component input - the only minor problem is that that DVI-I input is used for both component and DVI-D input but you can purchase cheap combiner cables now (about £5) to simultaneously connect HD analogue and HD digital so it is not a problem.

-Ian

6. scrowe

scrowe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    Yes, the picture is very good, both on DVD and via the Black Gold Freeview card

7. ACMErubberDuck

ACMErubberDuck
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    OK now I am confused HD Analogue and HD Digital. Would there be a brief explanation of what this means.

8. Alan111S

Alan111S
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ian, Where have you seen these combiner cables for sale? I did a quick search on forums/google, but couldn't spot anything.

Many thanks

Alan