• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

McClane aka Die Hard 6 (TBA) directed by Len Wiseman

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
Currently known as Die Hard 6 or Die Hardest, has a Brit writer in Ben Trebilcook, who is reportedly penning a treatment.

Rumored the story begins in New York, before moving to Tokyo.

Ben Trebilcook;
“It is extremely faithful to the franchise and characters and is a natural progression. It's also a very plausible storyline.”

"Getting Larry's [Larry D. Webster, consulting producer on A Good Day To Die Hard] support was great, but there are many hurdles to leap yet and two of those are called Bruce Willis and [producer] Alex Young. There's the possibility producers might go back and find some other source material to base the next one on, like they did with the first and second. Mine though, I feel it could be the Rocky Balboa of the Die Hard franchise."

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
“It is extremely faithful to the franchise and characters and is a natural progression. It's also a very plausible storyline.”

Is that a sly dig at the hideous 5th film perchance? :laugh:

BOUMSONG

They really are trying to kill off this series huh?

The first and third were great, the others zzzz....

BOUMSONG

Bruce should go back to making crap TV adverts. HE has had it. I can't remember seeing a good film from him in decades.

BOUMSONG

Actually Looper and Moonrise Kingdom were quite good. Bruce needs to nuke this god awful travesty of a film series though. Horrendous, pathetic stuff for brain dead idiots. (1 and 3 were good though)

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
Writer Ben Trebilcook sheds some light on what to expect from the 6th outing;
Hmm, what can I say? What can I say? What am I allowed to say? OK, without spoiling too much, I can say that McClane is invited to Tokyo by the Nakatomi Corporation to be commended for his bravery and efforts in saving 36 lives, celebrating this on the 30th anniversary of the Naktatomi Hostage Crisis.

It’s by no means BLACK RAIN. Perhaps has a slight RISING SUN type tone. It’s also not a double-act buddy-buddy story. McClane began on his own and should end on his own. Of course he’s had assistance in various guises, aiding him in his ventures; but it’s not Lethal Weapon or a Jackie Chan film.

A well known Hollywood director pal of mine is a massive Die Hard fan. Huge. He read it and adored it. Having him alone read it and say he liked it was good enough, but saying it ticked so many fan-boxes for him and made him smile and was a keen page-turner, well, if the script doesn’t go anywhere, his comments were winter fuel on these cold, dark, London nights. For me, as a fan, familiarity. I’d be saying ‘Yes!’ throughout particular scenes and smiling fondly with certain lines of dialogue. Some insane action. I’ve tied a lot of things together.

Full interview - Die Hardest Screenwriter Ben Trebilcook Exclusive Interview - Everything You Need To Know About Die Hard 6!

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
Die Hard 6 is back on the table as Fox making a deal with Live Free Or Die Hard helmer Len Wiseman to return and develop with producer Lorenzo di Bonaventura. With the possibility Wiseman could end up directing the prequel.

The search is on for a new writer to "script a reinvention, one that is sort of a prequel while still leaving room for Bruce Willis to play McClane as well. Basically, he’ll bookend a story line that will be set much of the action in 1979, when McClane was a cop in gritty New York City and showing how he became a die hard kind of guy."

So it seems a younger actor will play McClane in the earlier decades, with Willis playing him in the later years. What's Joseph Gordon-Levitt up to?

Last edited:

bruce-leroy

Distinguished Member
Die Hard 6 is back on the table as Fox making a deal with Live Free Or Die Hard helmer Len Wiseman to return and develop with producer Lorenzo di Bonaventura. With the possibility Wiseman could end up directing the prequel.

The search is on for a new writer to "script a reinvention, one that is sort of a prequel while still leaving room for Bruce Willis to play McClane as well. Basically, he’ll bookend a story line that will be set much of the action in 1979, when McClane was a cop in gritty New York City and showing how he became a die hard kind of guy."

So it seems a younger actor will play McClane in the earlier decades, with Willis playing him in the later years. What's Joseph Gordon-Levitt up to?

He's been murdering a French accent.

lucasisking

Distinguished Member
Not just flogging a dead horse. But digging up the dead horse's carcass, whipping it even more, and then peeing on the remains.

I'm usually the first to defend sequels/ reboots etc, but my gut feeling is for **** sake leave it alone.

Fillumgeek

It's a shame. The Hollywood factory never changes, we get that. Be nice if, just the one time, the suits just said, "You know what, we've had enough of this guy and this story's been done to death."

But a Die Hard movie will make money in the international markets, even if it's a damp squib in the US.

bruce-leroy

Distinguished Member
Sad but true. Bet you a million dollars the next one will be set in China.

Hans Gruber's grandson takes over the Great Wall. Cue loads of "fish out of water" humour and Bruce phoning in the performance from his house via a fully CG version of McClane.

Drax1

Distinguished Member
This one has been coming for a while, so best just to accept it, wait for the release to say (yet again)- told you so, then hope to God we don't get a seventh.
If everyone is truly honest with themselves, only the original was decent. The rest got progressively worse with each instalment. The original concept never really lent itself to a follow up, let alone five!

lucasisking

Distinguished Member
Hans Gruber's grandson takes over the Great Wall. Cue loads of "fish out of water" humour and Bruce phoning in the performance from his house via a fully CG version of McClane.

...who's "on vacation" off to rescue his long lost third child, who has since grown into a petulant brat with daddy issues. And at the end, just as the Germans are about to overpower McClane and blow up the great wall, the Chinese government comes in to deal with the situation effectively and decisively.

r1ecn

Not just flogging a dead horse. But digging up the dead horse's carcass, whipping it even more, and then peeing on the remains.

I'm usually the first to defend sequels/ reboots etc, but my gut feeling is for **** sake leave it alone.
Agreed. Another I find odd is the incoherence this brings to the franchise. In DH5 they were clearly setting up Jai Courtney but now they are doing Die Hard origins instead, rather than continuing with what they had started, regardless of whether it was any good or not. Probably the same will happen with DH7, another random entry into the series.

Fillumgeek

I liked Die Hard 2 and Die Hard with a Vengeance was okay, I mean apart from the fact a frickin' Die Hard movie needs to be confined to one space! (Boneheads).

"How can the same sh*t happen to the same guy twice."

"...thrice."
"Four times."
"Five times."
"six times, sh*t I'm turning into Liam Neason."

aprout

Distinguished Member
Agreed. Another I find odd is the incoherence this brings to the franchise. In DH5 they were clearly setting up Jai Courtney but now they are doing Die Hard origins instead, rather than continuing with what they had started, regardless of whether it was any good or not. Probably the same will happen with DH7, another random entry into the series.

Probably because nobody liked Jai Courtney in part 5.

The prequel idea is a lazy get-out. Brucie clearly doesn't give a monkeys anymore, so this is just a cheap way of rebooting the series.

It does bug me that every report I've read about it seems to give credit for the idea of a Die Hard: Year One to Len Wiseman or Lorenzo di Bonaventura.

I'm sure Howard Chaykin might have something to say about it, given he wrote a comic with the same title back in 2009:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Die-Hard-Ye...w_p_img_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=1ZNK39D373Q0THKHGCHB

:lesson:

domtheone

Distinguished Member
If everyone is truly honest with themselves, only the original was decent. The rest got progressively worse with each instalment. The original concept never really lent itself to a follow up, let alone five!

A bit harsh:eek::D

Whilst one was the pinnacle of it's genre. 2 was pretty good (i really like it). 3 was ok.

The rest, forget it.

So gradually they all got worse yes but 2 as a stand alone movie was at least a 7 which makes it decent:D
Actually, i'm not sure i've even seen 5 but if it was worse than 4 i've not missed anything.

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
A bit harsh:eek::D

Whilst one was the pinnacle of it's genre. 2 was pretty good (i really like it). 3 was ok.

The rest, forget it.

So gradually they all got worse yes but 2 as a stand alone movie was at least a 7 which makes it decent:D
Actually, i'm not sure i've even seen 5 but if it was worse than 4 i've not missed anything.

Agree. Whilst one was fantastic, two was very good. 3 is even very watchable. No 4 was just average and I haven't seen 5 yet either.

gap

Distinguished Member
I must be in the minority in a big way as I quite enjoy 4. In fact, I find myself wanting to watch it more than 2 or 3 (which runs out of steam quite badly before the end). Although nothing can touch 1 and 5 - as a masterpiece of cinema and the nadir of Hollywood filmmaking respectively.

Fillumgeek

Opening Scene:

Interior
Acting class Los Angeles

Jai Courtney walks in wearing over-elaborate robes and carrying a script.

15 Ninjas appear behind him.

Before he is able to open his mouth, they all attack him at once.

Jai Courtney is beaten to death in a sequence lasting nine minutes.

Opening credits:

Die Hard: Year One

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom