1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

McAfee questions (sorry if wrong section!)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Crazy Snake Man, Apr 17, 2005.

1. Crazy Snake Man

Crazy Snake Man
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi just replaced norton with mcafee internet security suite and quick clean and there seems to be a compatibility issue with the privacy service and msn messenger.

every time i log off the pc i have to reinstall messenger (which so far it does ok and works as normal but obviously a pain having to reinstall every day)

so 2 questions

1) is this what you think it is - i took off privacy and messenger loaded perfectly, put it back on and had to reinstall

2) what exactly is privacy service and is it worth having - it takes my security level to 9 if it is not installed (10 if it is)

what is feeling with mcafee as didnt tell me when did scan that had a trojan that norton told me that was there (but wouldnt let me delete so still on pc)

manager in pc world didnt know whether to recommend norton or mcafee but got latter as was doing half price with quickclean disc

sorry for waffling!

2. Crazy Snake Man

Crazy Snake Man
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry to bump but tried to chkdisk and wouldnt let me so wondering if really need this as cant download messenger every day it will kill me!!

3. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Yes it's probably the wrong place for the question.

To answer you quickly - McAfee privacy is a real pain in the neck, it totally lost my net connection once - so I'd not install it. Also you don't mention if the messenger is the current version (Version 7 non-beta) - if you're using an old ver, maybe you should get the latest first.

4. Crazy Snake Man

Crazy Snake Man
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks - sorry for posting in wrong section.

it is the new msn messenger 7 (not the beta) think i will take your advice and uninstall it.

have you switched to norton now then!?!

5. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Was only the privacy module in McAfee that was ever a problem for me - as soon as that was removed, the rest of the suite worked fine.

Norton is ok - My prefered AV/Firewall is Panda.