• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Mcafee, Norton, MS or...

papa_lazarou

Hi all,

Just bought a new Samsung laptop, it has no security on it at the moment as my current license (Mcafee IS) has just expired. Which would you recommend?

I can get:

Mcafee Internet Security - £24.99
Norton Internet Security - £24.99 Think there is already links to this on the lappy.
Mcafee Total Protection - £29.99
Ms Security thingy which I believe is free although I don't know much about it.

Should I stick to one of these or go for something else entirely?

Thanks,

Shaun.

MarkE19

Personally I would recommend you avoid anything McAfee at all costs - it will slow any PC down and is unreliable IMO.

MS Security Essentials is free but is just an anti-virus program so doesn't in itself offer a full suite of protection.

Norton IS is a good package, but at a cost. It gets a fair few kickings from many, but in the past couple of years it has improved to become one of the better security suites IMO.

Another option and what I use is Kaspersky IS. I use this as I get it free as a Barclays internet banking customer. I've been running it for several years now and have never had any problems with it.

With any of these paid for programs I suggest you shop around to find the best price. The online license direct from the company is often the most expensive way to buy, with shops selling off older versions for next to nothing - you can download the latest software version and use the cheap license key you bought.

Mark.

sep8001

I also use Kaspersky and am very happy with it. You can get the 2010 or 2011 version from amazon or play for under 20 pounds for a 3 user licence if you do not have a Barclays account.

The key from these can be used for the latest version.

Empwan

I recommend either Outpost (Agnitum) or Kaspersky

You want a program that will do three things; identify and stop attacks, remove attacking programs, block attacking programs from sending your data to the host of the attacking software.

here is a comparison list for anti-virus (the first two things needed(above)) http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/latest_comparative/index

here is a comparison list of anti-leak (the final thing needed (above)) http://www.matousec.com/projects/proactive-security-challenge/results.php

papa_lazarou

Many thanks for the replies guys, as with a lot of people I've steered clear of Norton in the past as I 'heard' reports that it slowed your computer down lots. From what I've been reading today it seems it has improved a lot in the last couple of years. I never really noticed many problems with mcafee in the past but thought I'd have a shop around this time. I thought that Ms essentials gave you the whole package but it seems not. Currently looking at Kaspersky and a couple of others although I do have 60 days free trial of Norton on the new laptop so I may give it a go while I'm deciding which one to choose.

Shaun.

MarkE19

If it comes to a direct choice between Kaspersky or Norton I would just go for the one that I could get the cheapest as they are both very good IMO ;)

Mark.

papa_lazarou

Thanks again Mark, I've gone with the Norton for now as it's a free 2 month trial. I'll have a look around for a cheaper version of either. I like the idea of getting an older one and using the registration to upgrade!:D

maf1970

I would have suggested Norton Internet Security or Trend Micro Titanium Internet Security.
I have both 1 installed on desktops and the other on a laptop. I like both products. A couple of years ago Norton fell into the trap of using up resources but over the last year or two have really listened to users complaints and turned it around to again make it one of the best suites on the go.

MarkE19

papa_lazarou

DeepDiver

MarkE19

peebly

Personally I would recommend you avoid anything McAfee at all costs - it will slow any PC down and is unreliable IMO.

MS Security Essentials is free but is just an anti-virus program so doesn't in itself offer a full suite of protection.

Norton IS is a good package, but at a cost. It gets a fair few kickings from many, but in the past couple of years it has improved to become one of the better security suites IMO.

Another option and what I use is Kaspersky IS. I use this as I get it free as a Barclays internet banking customer. I've been running it for several years now and have never had any problems with it.

With any of these paid for programs I suggest you shop around to find the best price. The online license direct from the company is often the most expensive way to buy, with shops selling off older versions for next to nothing - you can download the latest software version and use the cheap license key you bought.

Mark.

You are wrong about mse, it also covers spyware, malware and root kits etc.

The windows firewall is absolutely fine also.

Microsoft Security Essentials - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

MarkE19

I'm wrong am I? So from your Wiki link
Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) is a free antivirus software product
and even the Microsoft site lists it as an Anti-Virus program - Microsoft Security Essentials - Free Antivirus for Windows
so how can me stating it is an Anti-virus program be wrong? Spyware, malware and root kits etc are all malware types commonly covered by an AV program. I also stated that it is not a full Internet Security suite which it definately isn't

So what did I say that is wrong?

Mark.

papa_lazarou

McAfee only intercepted 52% of the attacks :eek:
I knew it was bad, but not that bad :thumbsdow

Mark.

Mcafee definitely out for me then! Interesting to know.:thumbsup:

Heres the latest test results from computer shopper
Internet Security 2012 review | Expert Reviews

I bought BitDefender Internet Security 2011, 3 Users, 1 Year Subscription for £8.49 as you can update to 2012 latest version free. BitDefender Internet Security 2011, 3 Users, 1 Year Subscription (PC): Amazon.co.uk: Software

Thanks DeepDiver, you in the offshore industry?

peebly

I'm wrong am I? So from your Wiki link

and even the Microsoft site lists it as an Anti-Virus program - Microsoft Security Essentials - Free Antivirus for Windows
so how can me stating it is an Anti-virus program be wrong? Spyware, malware and root kits etc are all malware types commonly covered by an AV program. I also stated that it is not a full Internet Security suite which it definately isn't

So what did I say that is wrong?

Mark.

What you did wrong is tell more lies, here is a link to what Microsoft security essentials protects you against and it's not just an antivirus program.

Microsoft Security Essentials Product Information

I have used the software for years and never had any issues with my computers. Not a full suite you say, but Microsoft list it as comprehensive.

OP have read and also look at the wikipedia entry you will see it is the most used security software in America and second most used in the world. Which is why web forums are full of sock puppets trying to get you to pay for something you can get for free.

Iccz

Distinguished Member
What you did wrong is tell more lies

No need to get so petty and call people liars, by all means argue and debate facts and any incorrect information... No need to get personal.

MSE does do more than just "Anti-Virus", but it does not do the same as certain suites...

maf1970

What you did wrong is tell more lies, here is a link to what Microsoft security essentials protects you against and it's not just an antivirus program.

Did you bother to look at your own link ? Yes it has a nice little list of what it does -
Real-time protection
System scanning
System cleaning
Windows Firewall integration
Dynamic signature service
Rootkit protection
Protection against real threats, not good software
Network inspection system

But even MS describe it as -
Seriously great antivirus protection that’s seriously free

OP have read and also look at the wikipedia entry you will see it is the most used security software in America and second most used in the world. Which is why web forums are full of sock puppets trying to get you to pay for something you can get for free.

Been over this before just because its the most used etc does not make it the best and from your post makes it sound like you work for Microsoft. At the end of the day MSE does not do everything that the IS packages do

DeepDiver

starfarer

Hi all,

Just bought a new Samsung laptop, it has no security on it at the moment as my current license (Mcafee IS) has just expired. Which would you recommend?

I can get:

Should I stick to one of these or go for something else entirely?

Thanks,

Shaun.

On 2nd point, Any AV or IS from major vendor will do the almost same job if you're the user who will set it at default. In fact, at default settings, these are not overly better than free ones. Remember big percentage of price is due to the support of technical advice provided. Yes it is a tipping point for corporates (and large part deciding factor on reviews) but doubtful for normal home users, at least for those who find hassle to call support or struggles to understand computing jargons. Your choice, whether to pay for services and features which will never be used.

Why not try MS security essential until the trial time and when lappy is still new with no any personal files (at least will be easier to format and re-install,,,just in case!).

The real question is of security and prevention. 2 most effective measures:
a) Operating in standard/limited user account
b) Browser/Internet safeguard : Internet and browsing is everyone's favourite and popular way for infection. What if remove internet from the equation? The chances falls on low single digit %. This can be done by browsing in Virtual environment (overkill) or simply using softwares for sandbox. I use sandboxie, both free and paid version and does very good. Most AV/IS also include this option but sandboxie provides for more robust and better control like which programs to run in sandbox, downloaded file recovery and deletion of contents.

Trying hard not to post a guide ;) but a suggestion.

MarkE19

Internet and browsing is everyone's favourite and popular way for infection.
A very common way of getting infected yes - especially if you have teenagers using the PC :devil:

But IMO there is a far higher risk of infections getting onto a PC via email. I cleaned a small companies network (2 servers and 8 PC's) all infected with malware received via their email. They are a recruitment company and therefore have loads of emails with attachments (normally CV's) every day that they obviously need to open. I also removed McAfee and installed Sophos instead and their system has been secure since - so IMO not all AV/IS programs are the same, and in some cases not even close.

Mark.

The latest video from AVForums

JVC 4K projectors, Denon X3800 & Perlisten speaker reviews, adding a sub to 2-channel + AV/HiFi news
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom