McAfee Net Protect Plus from BT Broadband

Discussion in 'Computer Software & Operating Systems' started by MonkeyPrince, Jan 7, 2012.

1. MonkeyPrince

MonkeyPrince

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,124
    This is weird...

Before I decided to buy a new laptop to replace a slow PC, I took the PC back to factory settings and re-installed my necessary programmes to see whether it would breath some new life into it (I usually do this once a year anyway)

After everything was back on, it was still slow so I was convinced I needed to place the Dell order and the old PC was destined for the charity shop.

Coincidentally, my current BT broadband discount is due to finish end of Jan so I was planning on getting a new broadband deal as well.

Part of my BT Broadband package is free McAfee Net Protect Plus (full virus/spyware suite etc)

I thought I'd try a free virus program (avast!) on the old PC ready for when I get the new laptop, in case I decided to get a paid one instead.

Anyway - I uninstalled McAfee, installed Avast! and OMG what a difference :eek:

My old PC is as fast as the day I bought it 6 years ago :clap:

So, I'm gonna cancel my Dell order (or return it once its here)

McAfee Net Protect Plus must have been been gradually slowing my system down

Looks like I've just saved nearly £400

I hope this helps others

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,470
    I've been telling anybody who will listen for years what a resource hog and poor performer McAfee is :rolleyes:
    In the tests on this site McAfee only intercepted 52% of the test attacks - Internet Security 2012 review | Expert Reviews

I've removed McAfee from more PC's than I care to remember and like you the owners have thought they had a new computer.

Mark.

3. Singh400

Singh400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,370
    Now uninstall Avast! and install Microsoft Security Essentials ;)

4. MonkeyPrince

MonkeyPrince

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,124
    I had a look into that, but the few comparisons I found suggested there's not much between them