1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MCACC on Pioneer Amps

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by rulocal, Dec 3, 2003.

Tags:
  1. rulocal

rulocal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Hi

I am looking at buying an AV amp to go with a pair of Quad 11ls, the Quad centre and some rears which I haven't got yet. I am not going to be able to fit another pair of 11ls as rears so the surround speakers won't be a match. I understand that the MCACC deals with speaker placement, delay etc.., but does it also get involved with tonal matching. In other words will it be able to mitigate, at least to some degree, the fact that the rear speakers will not be a 'match'.

Any help would be gratefully accepted.

Paul

2. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes - you can tonally equalise the Centre/Surround speakers to the front two speakers if you so desire.

Perhaps the Wharfedale DFS Surrounds would be the best match for your Quads :).

3. rulocal

rulocal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Dimmy

Thanks for the response. I am actually considering the DFSs because I have heard they use similair drivers. See my other thread:-

Rear match for Quad 11ls

Do you have any experience of this combination. If the match is pretty good I could save myself £70 and go for the VSXD812 instead of the VSXD912. A further question I have about the MCACC is whether it works as well if you are driving the fronts with a stereo amp attached to the preouts. Intuitively I would have thought it would.

4. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't heard the DFS Surrounds with the Quads, but as you say, theoretically they should be a reasonably close match.

I would've thought MCACC would yield equally accurate results when the multichannel amp is used with an external stereo amp for the front two channels - I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't.

5. drago.d

drago.d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    AFAIK, the Pioneer AX5i only has 5 bands of eq with one of these being used for the sub, whereas the AX10i has 9 bands, of which I believe three are in the sub's frequency range.

If you are hoping match tonally the fronts and rears, the 5 band wuold do an ok job, but to do it well and improve the in-room speaker response, I'd imagine the 9 band eq would be the way to go.

Shame it's £2,500 + ;)

BTW, when I had a Yammy E1000 DPL processor it had a 5 band eq on the centre channel. The B&W CC6 centre never did really sound the same as the Monitor Audio L&R's I was using.

drago.d

6. rulocal

rulocal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Drago.d. I was only looking at the VSX912. Will this do othe job at all?

7. drago.d

drago.d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Don't know much about the Pio VSX 912. Pio's website states it does have Auto MCACC, which means it should come with a calibration mic. and eq the different channels as best it can regardless of speaker brand/separate power amp. (It should make no odds if you are using a separate power amp as the mic. calibrates and adjusts the eq for the sound output it "listens" to.)

I would expect it to have the 5 band eq MCACC. I've not heard of, or see any point in there being less than 5 bands of eq in the MCACC feature. I believe it is only the AX10i that has the full monty MCACC.

Room modes/listening position interaction will have their own contribution to the sound as well. The closer the tonal match of the speakers, and amplification, being used, the more chance the MCACC can give you a good result. If the speakers were identical all round, and the amplification was also, then MCACC would only have to try and eq for this. The more each channel is different to the next, the more you ask MCACC to achieve, hence more bands of eq the better. ;)

Hope this is of use,

drago.d

Edit: I've read somewhere that the 5 band MCACC might not eq. the sub output at all. Whilst that would mean one more band to try to bring the speakers closer together, sonically, it would be a pity not to have at least the primary room mode in the sub bass region eq-d.

8. binky

binky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The 912 has auto MCACC - but it's limited to speaker size, level and distance delay settings - there's no EQ.

9. durk

durk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the wharfdales to match my quad 11l's but they kept on blowing the drive units when i ran the mac set up on my poineer 2011!!! 3 pairs i got through(my dealer loved me:)) before i gave up and went for some mission speakers that have been faultless, but dont intergrate with quads as well!!!!!!! Although they aint bad @ all

10. rulocal

rulocal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    durk

Thanks for the feedback. I have got my BFXs arriving on Monday. Hopefully mine won't blow up as well although the omens don't seem that good. Maybe yours were all part of a faulty batch.

Thanks again

Paul