1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MCACC and Speaker size

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Steve Amos, Oct 21, 2003.

1. Steve Amos

Steve Amos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any idea how the auto MCACC set-up on a Pioneer amp decides if a speaker is Small or Large?

I ask the question as it insist that my Kef Eggs are Large speakers.

I know common sense tells you to change the setting to small, but wondered why it gets it wrong.

One thing to note is that they sound very good when set to large, but they do tend to distort at high volume. (i.e. above 0db)

2. Pottsy

Pottsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I presumed it was frequency response. When I had a 5i, it seemed to choose large or small totally randomly, though having said that the MCACC on mine did a shocking job, cutting mid bass that was low already!

Can't imagine it's a good idea to set them to large and have the pio send bass signals to such titchy drivers though.

Pottsy

3. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,222
    We have had some feedback that it can be a little confused by some speakers- our THX dipole (MS506) often gets classed as a large speaker by MCACC which even though its a fair old size is still wrong in our opinion as it was voiced in small (ie with sub/(s) doing some work) rather than as a full range speaker.
    Still better than mucking around with an SPL though...........

4. Steve Amos

Steve Amos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another thing I found quite surprising was that changing the speaker size from Large to Small automatically changed the EQ settings without me running the EQ set-up again. I.e. the bass levels were dropped by approx -5 db.

So, with this in mind if I decided to manually set-up the speaker levels when set to small with an SPL, would I not end up effectively raising the bass levels again? Or does the speaker size setting do more than adjust the EQ settings?

5. Pottsy

Pottsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I wonder if that's possibly helped take out 10db from my mid bass. It would set my B&W 6 series sometime large, sometimes small, and sometimes a mix, so I'd have to set them manually to small. Oh well!

The speaker size setting determines whether to output that speakers <80Hz signals to the speaker, or the sub (or both if "plus" is set). I think.